Anyone got/had an Ardennes cross?

McStorminNorman

New User
Visit site
Anyone had one?
We have just got ourselves a 10month old Ardennes x something. Will be doing more digging when he arrives 😁 he’s just been gelded hence looking terrified as he’s only been halter broken a few days.
He standing about 14.2 at the moment. Does anyone have experience with the breed?

Attachments

• CE41EF77-DFBD-489B-8577-43C067188D0A.jpeg
    CE41EF77-DFBD-489B-8577-43C067188D0A.jpeg
    301.2 KB · Views: 59
Visit site
SEL has an ardennes, who is amazing, so they'll hopefully be along soon to help with more about the breed's specifics.
Your new boy is very handsome!

Reactions: SEL

Leo Walker

Visit site
Are you sure hes ardennes cross?? He doesnt look like one at all. Even crossed with something fine I'd have expected a much chunkier, shorter legged pony!

SEL

Visit site
I've got a pure bred one (he's in my avatar). He's an absolute chunk - 14.3h and about the same width. Mine is old fashioned breeding lines which is why he is short. Bred for logging where they needed strength not height. Most are around around the 15h mark with the Belgian drafts being the real monsters at over 16h.

I'm on my phone so can't see your photo well but your youngster looks much lighter bone. Was it his dam that was Ardennes?

They have lovely personalities. Mine is by far and away the nicest horse I've ever known, but they are strong so you need to set clear boundaries while they are young. If he wants to go somewhere he just heads off and you might as well not be on the end of the lead rope!

More photos when he turns up please!!

hobo

Visit site
Bless him sounds like he has had a lot going on in a short time. When he grows in to his backside he will be a big boy but I also was expecting something like SELs boy.