Anyone had a meniscectomy?

Marquire

Visit site
I am on the waiting list to have a partial meniscectomy on my left knee. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has had this done in relation to recovery times.

My surgeon who seems to be pretty unsympathetic towards horse riders is suggesting I may be out of the saddle for up to 8 weeks which is unthinkable. However, doing my own internet research it seems that 8 weeks might be the worst case scenario as on some runner and tennis player's forums people seem to be back to normal activity within 4 weeks.

I actually need a cruciate ligament reconstruction too but the surgeon has said that if I have that done they'll be no riding for 9-12 months so I have said I'll have to put that on hold for now.

Stupid knee.

JenHunt

Visit site
I had cruciate reconstruction about 10 years ago (had no choice - i had no knee!) and they took some loose cartlidge out at the same time.

granted i was 16 and stubborn, but i was riding within 3 weeks. the first week i was riding bareback in walk, and built up from there.

Marquire

Visit site
And have you had any problems subsequently because of this?

I know I'm going to be like you and be back on after a couple of weeks.

kit279

Visit site
A meniscectomy is a relatively small operation where they just clean up the joint and take out any floating bits of cartilage so you don't get a locking knee. You should be fine to ride after the inflammation goes down - about 2-3 weeks. The cruciate op is a big reconstructive job though and you'll need quite a bit more time off to allow the new ligament to 'take'. You should be able to ride in 4-6 weeks but definitely use a knee brace and seriously do NOT fall off otherwise the new ligament can rupture and you're back to square one. Don't take any crap from your surgeon - motorcycles and horses keep these orthopaedics in Porsches!

kit279

Visit site
Oh and no jumping for 2-3 months after a cruciate repair, as that puts a bit too much strain on it. Flatwork and hacking only alas...

JenHunt

Visit site
not really. It ocassionally is sore, but there's no pattern to it i don't think. and when i mean sore - nothing like before the op!

the main thing is to religously do any physio you're given. I was on study leave for GCSE's at the time and spent more time doing physio exercises than revising!

Carys

Visit site
Hi I had a piece of meniscus taken away as I had an "L" shaped tear from a skiing injury YEARS before but the knee used to keep "locking up" and I'd fall over !! LOL. Anyway my horse was off work (semi-retired) when I finally had the op so as he was such an angel I started riding him again to exercise the leg about 3-4 weeks after op (keyhole day surgery).

It's been about 6-7 years since op & apart from an occassional "wobbly feeling" it's been well worth it - it was dangerous before as when it first happened I couldn't keep my horse straight when riding - bit dangerous on roadwork !!

Good luck & hope all goes well.