Anyone had any experience from Billy Stud

Alice Pearson

New User
Visit site
Hi this is my first post on this forum so apologies if I've posted in wrong section. I'm looking to buy a nice young horse 4/5 even 6 I have always thought the horses I've seen from the Billy stud were lovely and was planning a trip down to have a look. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience of dealing with them and Donal Barnwell? I believe Donal has lots of additional horses to sell alongside the "Billy" horses. Does anyone know what sort of prices I should be looking at, I have seen a few adverts over the last week but nothing mentions any prices? Any information anyone has I would be very grateful of. Many thanks Alice x

KatB

Visit site
Hi, and welcome! A friend of mine knows a few people who have brought from there, and they can range from about 4k to as much as you want to pay! They know what they're doing though, so you won't get any "hidden talent" or bargains from them, butgenerally very straight youngsters bred to do a job :)

Alice Pearson

New User
Visit site
Thanks for replies I really am genuine I did wonder when I wrote it that it looked a bit like an advert but I can assure everyone I am looking for a lovely young horse. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience as I'm a bit naive and need all the advice I can possibly get. X

TarrSteps

Visit site
I don't know, I think it's a genuine query.

As KatB said, you won't find a bargain but they should be straight with you about why the horses are priced as they are and while they are in the business of selling horses, they are also a business and need to protect their reputation. They breed some lovely, lovely horses. If I had the budget I'd have a Cevin Z in a heartbeat!

The only thing I will say - not against them at all - is I know a couple of people with limited budgets who have gone there and seen/sat on horses they could not afford, then got very discouraged about their own prospects. Like anything else, be realistic and, if you can, take your own advisor. They are good horsemen and know what they're about but at the end of the day their mandate is to sell you a horse!

Nicnac

Visit site
Welcome - depends what you want the horse to do. Lovely lovely horses, but if you are looking for, what they term, a competition horse you will need deep pockets :)

Nosey

Visit site
Went there about 10yrs ago now. Told donal on phone my budget was round 5k. Wanted something broken & basic schooling but only for max novice BE. Seemed fine with that but all he had when I went was a stunning unbroken 3yo that was amazing loose jumped but he wanted about 10k for him. Price quickly came down when I said out of my budget but was too much horse for me sadly. Then they dealt more in pros rides I believe...not sure now if they cater for a range of abilities. That foxhunter win won't do their business any harm ;-)

sj_xc_hannah_

Visit site
I have a Billy horse who I didn't buy direct from the Stud but after he'd been with a show jumper, and although biased he is lovely, it's obvious that they put thought into every horse they breed, they all seem to be well put together, move well and mine is particularly well tempered which is something his dad was known for so if you've got the budget it would definitely be worth a look. Obviously younger is cheaper!

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I have a feeling my friend has just bought a 3yo from them. They had a very good budget though and would be looking for a 4* horse.

Donal buys quite a few 3yos at Goresbridge brings them back here and breaks them for reselling.

seabsicuit2

Visit site
My friend( who was a v capable rider) bought a v expensive 4 yr old from Donal- talented , but mentally didn't want to know. Still struggling to get it round an Intro 3 years later.
I'm sure that's just one bad one out of hundreds of successes though.
But just goes to show that even if you spend £££ with a top dealer, it does not guarantee success!

HBM1

Visit site
I haven't bought from them but have been to one of their open days and a couple of years ago emailed them about a broodmare. Donal is amazing, he has such fantastic recall about every horse on the farm. He knows which mare they are out of and which stallion and we are talking a lot of horses. They seem to really care for the horses and I particularly like the Cevin Z youngsters, all the ones I saw had a certain type. I am sure it would be worth a call at least. Don't forget Brendon Stud too.

PorkChop

Visit site
I went there about three years ago. The horses I viewed were four year olds, and they were shown to me loose schooling.

They were very talented, but deep down I felt like they were professional's horses. He definitely has an eye for a good horse, but only go if you have a decent budget.

gvb

New User
Visit site
Hi - bit of a late response but I bought a 3 year old from the Billy Stud in November this year. I specifically wanted a 3 year old and there were quite a few to look at - all very nice. I am really pleased with the gelding I bought - temperament to die for and a fantastic happy attitude to everything - backed him myself and he has just been easy. We did have a budget which we thought was reasonable and he was more towards top end of budget however I feel he was worth it - I'm not looking to sell on etc just wanted a nice horse to compete. Hope this helps

Nosey

Visit site
Do you mind saying what the price range was for the 3yos that you saw gvb? Glad your purchase has been a happy one!

ihatework

Visit site
bumping this back up as I am about to inquire about horses from Billy Stud. Can anyone say what I might get for 10-15k? Should I mention budget to them at all?

Probably a mediocre, backed but not massively produced 4yo or a 3yo showing some loose promise but not top end

BunnyDog

Visit site
For my own experience, they NEVER replied to many attempts to inquire about a few of their horses.

I tried Email and messaging through Facebook.

I have no idea why but they never responded in any way, shape or form.

Emily

HashRouge

Visit site
Hm, might be better shopping elsewhere? I'm looking for a horse with clear potential to become a 120-130 SJ or eventer...
I used to work with two Billy Stud mares - they were kept at the yard of an SJ rider I worked for and he used to ride/ compete them for the owner. They weren't top, top level but they were both really decent mares (bought for the owner's daughter who then lost interest). They both did well up to 1m40/ 1m45 and had some really good results. The only thing is, I know they weren't massively well-produced when they were bought (as 4 year olds) so with your budget be prepared to put the work in. I massively rated both mares though - beautiful temperaments and really nice to ride.

ETA both were by Billy Congo.

ihatework

Visit site
Hm, might be better shopping elsewhere? I'm looking for a horse with clear potential to become a 120-130 SJ or eventer...

Well in showjumping terms 1.20 would be classed as mediocre, so you could get a backed 4yo I suspect but you would need to produce it well to reach its potential. If you are looking for that raw wow, then your budget is nowhere near

Xanthoria

Visit site
Yes I am pretty mediocre too so that's OK ;) Maybe I need to up my game!

I am aiming for BE Novice/Intermediate eventing - about 120 - IOW I'll be disappointed if I buy a horse who cannot do that eventually. I bought a 6 month old Dutch colt who turns out not to have the jump now Ive started him, so I need something that's at least under saddle so I have a better idea of scope and willingness.

Doable for my budget?

ihatework

Visit site
Yes I am pretty mediocre too so that's OK ;) Maybe I need to up my game!

I am aiming for BE Novice/Intermediate eventing - about 120 - IOW I'll be disappointed if I buy a horse who cannot do that eventually. I bought a 6 month old Dutch colt who turns out not to have the jump now Ive started him, so I need something that's at least under saddle so I have a better idea of scope and willingness.

Doable for my budget?

Sorry, that probably came across rude (I didn’t mean it that way!). And yes of course you can buy a good quality green horse for 10-15k to produce for 1.20m/intermediate - whether it reaches its potential is generally down to the rider as the biggest factor.

My gut feeling is you would get an equivalent horse at better value without a Billy prefix. Someone else mentioned checking out the recent auction prices, which would be worth doing. Or maybe approach someone like Liv Craddock who seems to do some of the early work on the Billy’s that are more event types

Xanthoria

Visit site
Haha, no it's OK ;) And I'm sure you're right - the prefix alone is a brand and you pay for branding. I cannot locate their October auction prices tho... but I did send them an email so we shall see... and I looked up Liv Craddock too! :)

sportsmansB

Visit site
For your budget you would still get a decent 4yo in Ireland that was broken and had maybe done a hunt or two, with the potential for intermediate.
PM me if you want some contacts.

HashRouge

Visit site
I'm also 100% certain you could get an equivalent horse for cheaper without the Billy prefix. That said, the mares I knew were both worth their weight in gold, so I'd be tempted to have a look if I had the money!