Anyone have a hay ball?

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I've just ordered one for a horse on box rest. Currently has a net because he just mashes hay on the floor round his bed but I'd rather get his head down more and keep him occupied a bit.
How are they to use and do they work well?

Myloubylou

Visit site
I have one & my Welsh mare loves eating from it. It works similar to treat balls but is less frustrating for them. Needs to be fairly loosely packed as difficult for them to pull out hay. Keeps my horse occupied for a while & is still in perfect working order after a winters use. Tip if you get one and you struggle to get lid off pour boiling water on lid to loosen!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Good! One thing I did wonder after buying is will it work with wet hay?
I can soak as normal in a net then fill the ball but will it come out easy enough?
Do you use instead of or aswell as a net or however you usually feed hay?

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I've used soaked hay in mine, no problems. Like another poster mentioned, I juat tease the hay apart a bit before putting in & don't overfill so it's easier to get out.

At the moment I tend to use mine alongside my haynets - so like today, when I got back from my hack and the weather was so disgusting I chose to keep in, I just put up a small net & used his hay ball instead of putting up a larger net. I use it instead of a haynet most afternoons as my YM brings in about an hour or two before I can get there. But it's not big enough to replace nets overnight - or at least not what mine would eat!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Ok that sounds good. I think I'll still give a net or his haycube overnight but the ball perhaps during the day. I can do him at lunchtime so can refill if needed.
Looking forward to it coming :)

Scarlett

Visit site
I was wondering about one of these for my boy who has to have limited grazing and gets hay in his paddock. Might be a better option than just a haynet tied to the fence. Thinking it might get him moving around and keep his head in a grazing position instead of stationary pulling from a net.

Do you think they would stand up to being used outside (in the dry weather obv)?