anyone have a horse they didnt like very much at first?

Capriole

Visit site
i do like my horse after all!
i have a mare i never particularly had any feeling for, and would always ride one of my others rather than her, leaving her for my OH to ride.
after deciding to do an endurance ride on her ive been riding her and spending quality time with her, trimming and grooming etc., ive discovered she's actually not as much of a baggage as i thought, she's loving the hard work, plus she's turned out to be an amazing jumper too!

samuelhorse

Visit site
YES!
At the riding school where my boy came from they kept putting me on this grumpy, stubborm miserable excuse of a horse which I couldnt stand - oh, that bit me everytme i got on/off......
Seven years on he is the best thing that has been in my life and I love every hair on him and wouldnt sell him for a kings ransom...
He is simply perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

alicedove

Visit site
I guess some take time to creep into your affection - and I bet you she is one who you will end up having more of soft spot for than any other!

The ones who don't shove their face in yours, your pockets, etc are possibly a little wary of you but grow to love you gradually. I think that is commonly a mare thing too. Then, that love will be strong and reward you, and she will try hard for you due to this intense love that she has built up.

Good luck with your lovely gem!

DreamerII

Visit site
Can't say I have the same experience. First time I rode D I fell in love (and here I am, 4 years later and after a break of about 3.5 years)...back with my baby boy!

My friend's share horse on the other hand! HATE riding him.....and tbh he is a bit heavy headed to handle too (he's a cob type and just big and weighty).....so yeah!

Sorry, completely self-indulgent post there!

malibu211211

How the hell do I know??? I can barely remember my
Visit site
Yep, I didn't like Monty that much when I first had him and used to prefer doing things with D. Felt guilty though for buying Monty when I still had D. Have since realised that D doesn't care as long as he gets his tea when he demands it
wink.gif

Loving the big yellow beast now
grin.gif

lastresort

Visit site
Yep hated my last horse so sold him and begged the buyer to take him asap. he did nearly kill me and was very very annoying. Wasnt keen on my youngster now for ages but now I like him!!

Angua2

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I guess some take time to creep into your affection - and I bet you she is one who you will end up having more of soft spot for than any other!

The ones who don't shove their face in yours, your pockets, etc are possibly a little wary of you but grow to love you gradually. I think that is commonly a mare thing too. Then, that love will be strong and reward you, and she will try hard for you due to this intense love that she has built up.

Good luck with your lovely gem!

[/ QUOTE ]

So True..... I have had my mare for just over a year, and in that first year, I could honestly say we didn't like each other. I got her because I wasn't going to let her be passed from home to home being a misunderstood chestnut mare, I also could see bags of potential. Chrismas my gelding had a " crisis" and I suddenly realised that while I liked the mare I didn't love her, she had done nothing to endear herself to me. She wasn't my boy. But since I have had to back off my boy recently due to injury, the girly has stepped into the breach and I must say she has surprised me. She does have a personality, albeit a very gentle one and has more trust in me than I ever gave her credit for and that is been returned. I now trust her possibly far more than the 14 yr old ( she is only 5) and she tries so hard, and because of this has been far more rewarding in recent weeks than the gelding has in years. Neither of them are going to leave me and what was "like" has now turned into a fond pride, which I am sure will develop further.

ironhorse

Visit site
Oh yes...horse was very much hubby's choice and while he was getting on well with her, I was finding her spooky, nappy and evil in the stable ( which he was oblivious to as he never does any stable chores!!!)
But gradually I came to see her good points...she is really trainable and yet tolerant of the two of us who really don't know much about western.
She's fabulous at a show - stands tied to the lorry, eats up well when away at shows and behaves well in the warm up area.
She makes the transition from english riding to western and back again with few grumbles.
But most of all she's courageous - having the character to recover from a serious respiratory infection and to cope with long days at shows.
It takes time to bond with a horse - now she whinnies and whickers away at me as I walk round the yard, comes to me for fuss when hubby's ridden her and is even quite bearable in her stable sometimes!

Angua2

Visit site
lol..... my girly is a chestnut with four white socks.... exactly the thing you should avoid - apparently. But her colour doesn't stop her being who she is or what she can do. It compliments her!

She has a brain and does use it, but if she doesn't understand and gets frustrated then she is the stereotypical red head!!

Damnation

Visit site
With my mare I didn't really like her to begin with because she naps on hacks, moody in the field (To everyone but me), but I saw potential so I got her. I wouldn't sell her for the world now, scratch the surface and she is actually very sweet and just misunderstood!

fairhill

Visit site
I didn't like Chloe when my mum first bought her. It took me a couple of years to really appreciate her and go beyond her looks (or lack of them!). Now I love her to bits, and really wish I could keep her
frown.gif

Twiglet

Visit site
God yes, me and Twiglet hated each other for quite a while!!
Took me months to get to like this skinny, stubborn, stressy little thoroughbred thing!

Am glad I stuck at it, but a lot of my friends and family thought I was crazy and that I wouldn't keep him. Glad to have proved them wrong - now I think I'm the luckiest person in the world, and wouldn't change him for anything
laugh.gif

Flame_

Visit site
LOL, I'm still not keen on my chestnut mare nearly a year after I bought her. I'm still waiting for her to prove she's actually not a demon from hell she's just mis-understood but she ain't doing herself any favours!
grin.gif
I've never really liked one of my retired ponies who i've had over ten years, one day I'll learn how to sell horses.

Boxers

Visit site
When I was 20 I bought a mare for myself. She cost me all my savings. When I got her home she was horrid - she bit, she kicked and was generally nasty. she was a dream to ride though and could jump the moon.

After about a month of being bitten and kicked I thought enough is enough and so the next time she bite me I dug my nails into the her top lip - she never bit me again.

And the same for the kicking - one day I kicked her back and she never kicked me again.

She was remained a champion face puller but after that initial confrontation she was the sweetest thing.

I think that coming to a new home she was just trying it on - to see how much she could get away with!

atot

Visit site
ME - goodness me, we did NOT get on for about 6 months!!
I was thinking of selling her, giving up, and everything was very iffy for about 6 months. Turned out it just took time, and perseverance. I just wasn't gelling with her, but to be fair she was a pain to hack, and was a looney in company. But now it's all good - she wants me for apples, I want her for jumping. We've got a good deal going, I think.

Mamamia

Visit site
YES, when I was 16. He threw me off every day for the first 3 months. I begged my dad to sell him but he wouldn't until I learned to ride him. One day he stopped and never threw me again (no such luck for anyone else who tried to ride him
smirk.gif
). He was and always will be my favourite horse - RIP
frown.gif

The horse after that I liked in the beginning but came to detest.

The mare I have now I've loved from day one, and I love her more and more as time goes by.

madginger

Visit site
YES - what is it with chestnut mares!!!!!

This time last year she was actually for sale but I am glad that she did not go in the end as I have had the best year with her, she just took some time to learn to trust after being pushed from pillar to post.

MagicMelon

Visit site
My current grey fitted the title a little when I bought him. He was very spooky and also very cold backed (he bronc'd me off twice as soon as my butt touched the saddle, in the first 3 months). However, he was also a hat-rack and full of worms (we found out) when I got him so he wouldnt have been feeling his best! I DID wonder what Id bought for a little while though. He soon turned into one of the best horses any person could own! Absolute sweetheart to be around, SO honest to ride. Love him to pieces
wink.gif