Anyone have a 'horsemanship saddlery' bridle/ use horse bit fit?

soloequestrian

Visit site
I really like the look of the horsemanship saddlery bridles but I'm finding their website very confusing. I've e-mailed them several times now and have had some help, but they seem to just answer the first question in each mail and ignore the rest! I would just give up but I can't find other bridles that look as nice for the same sort of price. I wondered if anyone on here could help....
The website goes on about Saturn and Scorpio styles. Scorpio seems to have billets rather than buckles, but are there differences in the browband and throatlash too? You have to choose which style you want for each of those but I can't see a difference (photos aren't great).
I want to add one of the slide-on throatlashes to a normal bridle so I can use it with a hackamore. I'd like the second throatlash to fit snugly, to keep cheekpieces away from eyes. I'm not sure whether to go down a size with the throatlash to achieve that - the ones in the pictures look fairly loose.
And just for interest, if you have used HBF, was it worth it?
Thanks in advance!

saddlesore

Visit site
Haven’t used them for a fitting but I have the Saturn bridle and it’s lovely. Lovely leather and great fit. The main fitting difference between the 2 styles I think is the headpiece. I found they size up big so would recommend sizing down for your throat lash if you’re using it to help stabilise a hackamore. Hope that helps a little at least!

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
I have one and found dealing with them a little more difficult than other shops but it was worth it. In their defence when I emailed to say my browband kept slipping they immediately sent another and said it was due to a fault and the new one arrived yet next day.

I used bit fit too and have one of their bits and also their reins. All lovely and would recommend.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
I had a bit fit consultation. Ruth was doing a few on our yard. With the others they tried a few bits and she discussed bridges and sizes. She found a perfect bit for me but never mentioned the bridle. I asked and she said my current bridle was fitting perfectly, no reason to try to sell me another.

For that reason (and a bit that works for me and the horse) I'd happily recommend her.

vmac66

Visit site
Lovely bridles. As said go down a, size for the throat lash. My horse broke the headpiece getting bridle caught coming out of the trailer. A replacement was here within a, week.
Bit fit are also very good. Recommended a, bit to stop horse head tossing.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Give them a call I spoke to a lovely lady there she told me they are currently designing a bridle for Arabs so to hold off ordering one for now, didn't have so much luck with the bit fit person been trying for an appointment since June.

Pippity

Visit site
I had a bit fitting with one of their consultants, and it definitely made a difference to my horse. It was one of their bits she recommended, but she also pointed out that Shires did something very similar for less money. I liked that she explained what about my horse's anatomy made her recommend a particular bit. I would have liked to have tried a wider variety of bits, but wasn't confident enough to push back when the fitter said it wasn't necessary.

However, a friend on my yard also had a fitting and wasn't at all impressed, so it is a bit swings and roundabouts.

My only issue with my HMS bridle is that I need shorter cheekpieces, and they no longer make that model (Orion) so I can't get any! As others have said, go down a size on the throatlash.

1606300330738.png

WelshD

Visit site
I've been tempted to use HBF in the past as they were famously unbiased when it came to recommending bits but more recently I don't think I've heard of a case when anything other than a certain brand of bridle or bit is recommended and I do wonder how close an arrangement they have with those particular brands

Abi90

Visit site
I have a Saturn bridle and it is great. I have moved to a different bit (sane mouthpiece) as I needed some more brakes but found the service to be very good... and my own knowledge of bridle fit was improved

Kaylum

Visit site
I have done the HBF course and it is very good and very intense. Probably about 10 hours work a week. The course does not recommend any make of bit but does explain the benefits of the more expensive bits, the materials they are made of.

soloequestrian

Visit site
I have done the HBF course and it is very good and very intense. Probably about 10 hours work a week. The course does not recommend any make of bit but does explain the benefits of the more expensive bits, the materials they are made of.
Do they cover bitless bridles too or (as the title would suggest!) is it just about actual bitting?

LJF0664

Visit site
I used Horse bit fit (James Cooling), and was really impressed with his knowledge, and he was great at telling me what he was looking at all the way through. The first bit he selected was perfect - her reaction to it was immediate, but we tried a few others to make sure. He didn't push me to change the bridle, but I did need to change the noseband (from drop to standard), and in an Albion this was about £70!, so tried a horsemanship saddlery one and liked it. James recommended the Scorpio bridle, but with the Saturn noseband -he did explain why, but I've forgotten. You can't select this on the website, so ordered the Scorpio and just added it to a note on the order.

I've had the bridle for over a year now, and I'm still happy with the quality - its really good for the price.

TotalMadgeness

Visit site
Both my horses have these make of bridles and bits. I used a bit fit consultant for the bigger horse and the bit she recommended is the one he's still in. Thankfully the horse rejected all the expensive bits and liked the cheaper horsemanship saddlery bit (HP loose ring relief).

Kaylum

Visit site
Do they cover bitless bridles too or (as the title would suggest!) is it just about actual bitting?
Yes it's about everything actually. There is a lot of focus on nosebands. How the whole of the body works or doesnt when the tack isnt right. It was very good very intense.

Griffin

Visit site
I had a bit fitting from them several years ago and was in the market for a new bridle and had one of theirs fitted. My mare goes so much better in both and I have considered buying a spare just in case!
Her bit was quite a reasonable one (less than £50) and we tried some cheaper and expensive ones but the one she had was definitely the best.
They are very helpful on the phone.