Anyone have a Land Rover Defender?

magichorse

Visit site
Hi, does anyone have a Land Rover Defender that you use for towing and general work run etc? How do you find it- is it good to tow with, what is it like on work run- fuel economy etc? Any thoughts welcome. Thank you

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
Just sold ours, but it was the ultimate towing vehicle, nothing compares. Fuel economy is not something we ever looked at, you have to put fuel in, no point in worrying about something you can't change!

Oh, and when you sell them, they always keep their value!

dozzie

Visit site
I have a Defender TD5.

It depends on how long your work run is tbh.

I used to have a 30+ mile round trip which could take up to an hour at times. It cost me about £40 a week but that was with all the other runnning around at weekends. I think with petrol prices as they are now it would be nearer £60now. But I always had lots of stopping and starting which is bad for a landy's fuel economy!

They tow well and are real workhorses.

They are cold in winter and if possible I would try to get one with heated seats.

If you have a long journey to work then probably not ideal as they are generally pretty basic and not great comfort wise. But because they are basic it makes them easy to fix if they go wrong.

Bearsmum

Visit site
I have a TD5XS and I love it! Must admit I've had the engine uprated to give a bit more torque but even before that it towed really well - and I sold a gorgeous Mitsubishi shogun to buy it.

I've had 'tiddles' for five years now and this is the longest I have ever owned a car, always traded in when they headed for their first MOT. Can you tell I'm a fan!

I don't tow a horse trailer now - horse lame and trailer stolen - but we tow car trailers for off road events and caravans and I wouldn't wish to be in anything else.

JDx

magichorse

Visit site
Thank you all for your replies. It sounds like they are great for towing. My work run is about 30 miles a day too so may not be ideal for that. Thank you for the tip about them being cold in winter- think heated seats would be a good idea!

Bearsmum, I have a Ford Kuga at the moment, but just am not completely 'sold' on it.

Think I'll go and have a look at them over half term xx

Last edited:

Paddy Irish

Visit site
I've got a TD5 and I love it , great for towing and general misuse - wet muddy dogs , horse food and even concrete blocks in the back , wouldn't part with it for all the tea! I drive it to work but that's not too far each day , but i don't think it's any less economical than other 4 x4's so i don't worry.