Anyone have a Warmblood x Welsh?

Charla

Visit site
I’ve always had warmbloods, competition bred. My last one was the final straw, she’s had endless physical problems. I’m now on the hunt for my next friend and have been offered a Warmblood x Welsh.
I know I want something British bred this time round, and I like the look of this youngster.
Dam is trakehner, sire is welsh D. As I’ve not come across many of this mix, does anyone have one? Especially if you compete! Would love to hear about them and see photos.

Thank you

miss_c

Visit site
I used to, by a warmblood stallion whose stock I now wouldn’t touch, out of a D mare.

She looked just like a warmblood and was a full-up 15.2hh. Brain wise she was mostly D, but in her case the two combined weren’t the best mix. However blimey she could move!

ihatework

Visit site
Well if you get the good bits of both then it sounds a fab mix! If you get the bad bits of both it could be ‘interesting’ 😂

Don’t rule the horse out, try it on its merits and go from there

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
My "unspecified" but welsh bred cob x WB was the most wonderful versatile horse I have ridden :) she does have the best of both, a quick pony brain and a bit of quality in her paces. Sadly she didn't inherit the native toughness and field injuries forced retirement in the end. Would def go and take a look though.

conniegirl

Visit site
Mine was welsh x dutch warmblood.
He was utterly beautiful but a very difficult ride. He would go out from under you before you could blink and even professional jockeys struggle to sit him.
He was a very very loving horse and an angel to handle but very very intelligent, very very sharp to ride and had the welsh fire.
B53C3AA9-FDF9-40AD-A276-EC4CC9F7E80C.jpeg2A59A760-02F7-4940-97C6-9E6FCB852576.jpeg

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
My first horse was Hanoverian x Welsh C. Just about 15.2 but looked like a pony from a distance. He was kind, brave and had very expressive paces. He also liked to jump everything in sight even if I didn't want to 😂

IMG_1219.jpg

Jo C

Visit site
I have a Hanovarian x Welsh, she can be tricky but does try hard for me. Currently competing prelim/nov dressage unaffiliated but looking to affiliate before too long. Lilly (2).jpg

cundlegreen

Visit site
I've bred a couple. Both by my welsh D stallion. Both very good looking, good moving horses and easy to be around. My stallion is very bright, but from old welsh bloodlines, and was a prolific performer himself, so that helps a lot. My latest was Champion 2 yr old at the Futurity last year, more than holding his own against much better bred horses.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

ihatework

Visit site
I've bred a couple. Both by my welsh D stallion. Both very good looking, good moving horses and easy to be around. My stallion is very bright, but from old welsh bloodlines, and was a prolific performer himself, so that helps a lot. My latest was Champion 2 yr old at the Futurity last year, more than holding his own against much better bred horses.

He’s lovely cundlegreen, just my stamp of a horse. How big is he likely to make?

Lintel

Visit site
Not owned but ridden one. As others have said very tricky ride and extraordinarily fast thinking, superb if their energy is channelled correctly but forget it if you want a pleasant non-thinking doddle.

cundlegreen

Visit site
He’s lovely cundlegreen, just my stamp of a horse. How big is he likely to make?
A good question! Dad is 15 hands, mum was a nominal 16.1, and he's at least 16 hands now, with very long legs. I suspect he could well end up 16.2hh. Him with mum, who was a rather plain old tool!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i bought a 15 month old filly whose mum was a cob ,could have been part welsh but didnt know her breeding, dad was trakehner/tb and she had the most amazing temperament, and loved jumping , rode her till she was 23 and PTS at 24 as she injured her stifle and it would have required a long time of box rest and she had some arthritis in her near fore which was caused by an old fracture. otherwise she had always been very healthy and a lovely easy horse to take anywhere...

Charla

Visit site

Very nice! Lovely trot!

Charla

Visit site
Not owned but ridden one. As others have said very tricky ride and extraordinarily fast thinking, superb if their energy is channelled correctly but forget it if you want a pleasant non-thinking doddle.

Looking to compete, and no, a non thinking doddle wouldn’t suit me.

Annagain

Visit site
My friend has one. He’s high maintenance to say the least! Absolutely brilliant to ride, incredibly talented and genuine, evented up to intermediate. Easy to handle most of the time but when he gets his knickers in a twist he’s a nightmare. He’s the cleverest horse I’ve ever met but doesn’t always use it to his advantage. He can undo ANY sort of knot, clip or buckle. He has to be tied up with 3 different methods all the time. If we travel somewhere together she has to ride him when I ride mine and mine has to be in his sight the whole time or he’ll destroy the trailer and he’s got out of the jockey door twice (we don’t know how either, he’s 16.2!) At camp he has to be in a stable next to my boy and spends all night pinned to the bars between their stables. I have to put my boy’s hay net in the corner next to his stable as he gets upset if my boy leaves him even just to go to the other side of his stable. We’ve driven to Hartpury (2hrs) separately and avoided each other all day so hers will stay calm enough to perform (he’s fine if he goes on his own). At the last minute he saw my boy so I had to bring them home together while my friend followed with an empty lorry! He’s worse with my boy (his bestie) than others but still not great with leaving other horses he knows. We can leave him in the field on his own but not the stable, he won’t eat if something distracts him, he has to be the first one out in the morning. He’s convinced the world is there to suit him and we’re his staff. He’s definitely worth the hassle though, her horse of a lifetime.

Last edited:

oldie48

Visit site
Not had one but there was one on the day clinic I did on Saturday. He was v sharp, moved well but wouldn't stand on the trailer. a bit of a prima donna but this is just one, I'm sure they are not all the same.

Melody Grey

Visit site
The horse in my profile pic is one. He’s a very overgrown pony (15hh) with a pony face and character but finer and more athletic than a standard Welsh D. Personally I love him, but he’s not every ones cup of tea! If there’s trouble to be had, he’s right there at the centre of it. He’ll jump like a stag one day and spook at his own shadow the next. 🙄

Mine has lovely paces and would certainly event....if I could be bothered with his mind games!! 🤣