Anyone have a Welton bred horse??

lcharles

Visit site
I have a 17hh horse by Welton Crackjack.....a friend of mine said he's 'quirky and naughty' because he's a Welton.......Does anyone else have a Welton bred horse and what is is like?

By quirky I mean he rodeo bucks and spins in circles to test me....then carries on beautifully once he's had his 'strop' x lol

I'm sure he will get past his testing moment but just wondered if my friend was right that they are all quirky??

Nickles1973

Visit site
My YO has a 15.1hh Gelding by Welton Apollo. He's a bit of a nightmare tbh. Quirky just doesn't do him justice. I do feel that some of his behaviour is down to the way he is handled and his owner/rider is herself quite lively in her temperament (being polite) which I don't think helps.
Whether this is due to breeding/genetics or his life experiences I don't know, but on the positive side he's a lovely looking horse ;-)

Fairy Dust

Visit site
I had a Welton Mare who was extremely talented but it was actually her 'temperament' that held her back. She was lovely on the ground etc but just had this attitude that led to a dangerous rearing habit when she was pushed. I got her as a 7 year old and she had obviously been literally ruined by someone at one point so I worked with her for 2 years but just knew she didn't have the right attitude to event, on good days she was great and very brave!

I would actually now avoid Welton horses as I have heard before they can be quite temperamental! :)

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I had a Welton Apollo gelding who was sharp but not unreasonably so for a competition horse. He just needed to be in work and have his mind occupied.

This. I think that this is the problem with a lot of horses, they're so often not doing the work that they could/should be..

The horse I knew best years ago had done Badminton. He was sent to where I did my AI as a student horse on retirement, and boy did I learn a lot from him. I rode him without stirrups in my Stage III and he practically ran off with me. I had to just sit there grinning, and run him into the wall in the corner of the arena when no examiners were looking!! (I had been given a couple of vodkas to relax me as I got so nervous in exams, so perhaps that helped!)

Nakipa

Visit site
I have a gelding also by Welton Crackerjack. He is the sweetest most loving boy on the ground that you could wish to meet. He loves cuddles and just wants to be with you.

Ridden he is very talented with paces to die for and jumps just for the fun of it ....but .... He bucks for Britain. Nothing nasty but from sheer exuberance. He gets very excited about just about anything and when he is excited he bucks. When he lands after a jump he bucks, when he sees a jump he bucks.... Sadly I am too old for bronco riding and in the end after a couple of falls I decided that he was too much horse for me. Before he went I had all the checks done to just ensure it was not saddle, teeth, back etc and it was all fine.

He has gone on loan to a fantastic event rider who is having a ball with him and adores him because of and in spite of his 'quirkyness'. He has a home there forever and despite having bucked his new rider off last week in a fit of more joie de vivre they are going competing for the first time this winter.

I only heard after I had to make the decision to let him go that some Welton horses are known to be quirky.

lcharles

Visit site
Awww so i may be stuck with a rodeo bucker!! lol x

He is only 5 and has done some novice eventing last year, probably a bit soon for him...did quite well but has started rodeo bucking since he was given to someone to school....who constantly schooled him in an indoor.....think it drove him mad!! Now i have him and try to keep it varied! x

Slowly i'm hoping he'll stop this and behave himself.....he does sometimes do it after jumping but i do think its a testing thing at the moment.....fingers crossed!!x I don't mind it out of excitement but this is head down, bum up..flying kicks as high as possible.....ideal rodeo riders horse!! x Once he has been told off, he behaves again....but you just have to stay on him long enough to tell him off!! lmao! x

So the Welton in him may be the cause! x Thanks Welton!!!

Ladylina83

Visit site
.....I'm off to see if my Mare has any Welton in her lines !

"She was lovely on the ground etc but just had this attitude that led to a dangerous rearing habit when she was pushed. I got her as a 7 year old and she had obviously been literally ruined by someone at one point so I worked with her for 2 years but just knew she didn't have the right attitude to event, on good days she was great and very brave!"

this could be her !

kerilli

Visit site
i bred one by Welton Apollo yonks ago and she was the sweetest easiest horse ever, her idea of being really really naughty (when pushed to her limit) was to stiffen her ribs against the leg for a little while. seriously. that's the worst thing she could think of, ever. still being a saint now at about 19 years old.
a friend breeds a lot of quality horses (a couple have gotten to 4*) and used to use Weltons but changed to other stallions and studs because in her experience (which was vast) the Weltons were characterised by being VERY very trainable but not naturally athletic enough. of course there have been exceptions - and they were clever at putting good ones with top riders such as Ginny Leng, Mark Todd to keep the name in the limelight.
so no, i don't think his antics are down to 'being a Welton horse', much more likely to be physical imho.

misst

Visit site
I have know a mare by Crackerjack and a pony gelding by Apollo. Neither were mine but belonged to a friend and a different friends daughter. Both were extremely talented. The mare never fullfilled her potential at eventing, not sure why as she came well schooled and had a very competent rider. She did do well at dressage. The gelding was a brilliant eventer and made pony teams etc. However both were quirky. The mare was "mareish" for want of a better description. On a good day she was great and on a bad day you could not do anything with her on the ground or ridden. The gelding was sharp to ride but not dangerous or bad tempered. He did however, have a bit of an attitude on the ground if not handled consistently and firmly.

Lisamd

Visit site
This is our little gelding, by Welton By Design out of a Connemara show mare :)

71888_10150293984605153_823870152_15535718_6654523_n.jpg

No quirks as such, bit grumpy in stable and is a bit of a tank but saying that he evented to Nov level and BS newcomers.

He is now mum's hack :)

pip6

Visit site
I have 2 youngsters I bred both with Welton lines. The one with Welton Louis is a very kind, gentle, laid back girl. The other with Welton Gazelle is sharper, but again very sweet & easy to work with.