Anyone heard of safecobs.com - what are they like?

has31

New User
Visit site
Hello, I'm new to the forum, I've been reading it for a while but thought I'd take the plunge and join in! I also wanted to ask some advice. I'm looking for a quiet horse or pony just for hacking, and have seen the safecobs.com website, has anyone ever bought a horse from them, and if so what are the people like to deal with? Any feedback, good or bad, would be appreciated!

KatB

Visit site
EXPENSIVE!! I went to view a horse she was advertising, was her potential eventer, but she had run out of time for him. She was wanting well over the odds, and I think alot of hers are overpriced. Just my opinion though!!
smile.gif

burtie

Visit site
They are expensive, but from experience they do seem to do the job advertised. A girl local to me bought one of there unltra safe boys and he was everything they described him to be. In the end she had to send him back because of her ongoing hip problems making riding uncomfortable and they took him back and re-sold him no probs. They also do a leasing scheme. It's not cheap but if you are looking for honest quiet horses, they do seem very genuine and offer piece of mind and I guess this is the service you are paying for more than the actual value of the horse.

Ferdinase514

Visit site
I have looked at their website in the past but have no experiece of buying from them.

I have to agree with burtie...I would rather pay slightly more and get a safe horse, than pay less and the horse not be as described.

Ideally ofcourse, I'd like a total bargin who is perfect!

rrose

Visit site
the people who i loan my pony from, went to see a few of them, found the perfect one but had to say no as it was way over priced, even if you lease them they are too expensive.

has31

New User
Visit site
Hi, yeah I think they're expensive too (and a safe cheap horse would be ideal!) but I've seen too many horses that are nothing like they're meant to be, so I think now I'd rather pay a bit more and know what I'm getting. It's good to hear that Burtie's friend had a good experience with them, I think I'll go and have a proper look at their website now! Wish me luck!

Claireg9

Visit site
Im sure its safe cobs that a friend on our yard brought hers from. He is'nt exactly safe, she is nervous, but lets be honest thats why you need a safe cob!
Everytime she gets on he bolts off, and has put her in hospital after doing a bucking bronko too!
Some days she cant even get on him!!!

burtie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Im sure its safe cobs that a friend on our yard brought hers from. He is'nt exactly safe, she is nervous, but lets be honest thats why you need a safe cob!
Everytime she gets on he bolts off, and has put her in hospital after doing a bucking bronko too!
Some days she cant even get on him!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Has she contacted Safecobs about this and perhaps discussed handing him bcak?

From the girl I know they are very good about taking them back if they do turn out not suitable?

Kelly1982

Visit site
Just out of curiosity, how would they know how 'safe' they are if they are dealers??

Dealers turn horses around quickly to make their money so how would they know the true nature of the horse and if its 'safe' or not??

This is not a dig at anyone or even the company as i have never had any dealings with them, i was just wondering??

Blizzard

Visit site
There is also one called http://www.bomb-proof.co.uk/ similar to Safecobs but all their horses have the owrst confirmation Ive ever seen and are SOOO expensive!

Safe cobs seem to have nice horses but they are very expensive.

also a lot of these places seem to say they will take them back, but then charge £1000 retraining and £150 a week livery until the horse is resold!

anniedoherty

www.boxtreegallery.co.uk
Welsh_Cob, I totally agree with you about the conformation of the BombProof horses. They are a very motley crew indeed! I suppose that if temperament is top of someone's list of requirements though they may be just what they want. I think I have been lucky because my new boy seems to have a good temprament (minor niggles aside) and, to my mind at least, he is really handsome. Mind you I could be biased!!

Blizzard

Visit site
ha ha arent we all that little bit biased, its like if someone else's horse barges past them I would be like 'oh how rude' if mine does it, its like 'aww she is just eager to go out' !
grin.gif

I actually go onto the bombproof site just to see what strange looking horses they have in...I wouldnt trust them though, I remember seeing one Irish cob gelding, 4yrs old, on there, he was sold, then back on there 4 weeks later under a different name!

Hmm!
confused.gif

anniedoherty

www.boxtreegallery.co.uk
That's so cruel, going to the website just to have a look at the strange looking beasts! I thought I was the only one who did it............

Your girl looks lovely by the way. V cute. I had a M&M cob before I got my KWPN and I loved her. Going to see her tomorrow and will be jealous that I can't still ride her.

Emily99

Visit site
Loved the pot eventer.. the coloured? sadly she sold it before i was looking. One of their yards is just up the road from me, and Lia is a friend of a friend. They do have some lovely horses and having seen them ridden/worked with they are beautifully behaved.. but of course horses are horses at the end of the day.

They're deff worth a visit in my books.

KatB

Visit site
Yeah he was lovely, but I got the feeling she didnt want to sell, and she wanted 6,500 for him when he'd done NOTHING! She was honest though, just pricey!

has31

New User
Visit site
I know what you mean, you can never guarantee a horse won't do something surprising! Will def go and look if I see something I like, provided they're not too far away - where are they based? Doesn't seem to say on website.

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
I cant stand that bomb proof horses site have you look at their t and c's basically say that they cannot guarantee horses is bomb proof off site - well what is the point in calling it bomb proof and I am sorry for anything over £3000 I would expect it to have some topline or at least it neck on the right way up!
Safe Cobs are better turned out but sooo expensive and all their ads read the same.

severnmiles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
There is also one called http://www.bomb-proof.co.uk/ similar to Safecobs but all their horses have the owrst confirmation Ive ever seen and are SOOO expensive!

Safe cobs seem to have nice horses but they are very expensive.

also a lot of these places seem to say they will take them back, but then charge £1000 retraining and £150 a week livery until the horse is resold!

[/ QUOTE ]

Disregarding conformation, did anyone notice those folks don't know how to fit a bit? Poor Speckle looks the worst for their crime!

Stella

Visit site
Safecobs are near Gatwick as far as I know. I have heard of a couple of people who have bought there and been happy. Not sure where you are, but if further North, take a look at www.stubleyhollowfarm.com (she always has more than those featured on the website). Again you pay a bit of a premium for the dealer service, but Patsy Day (proprietor) often keep them for several months and knows them fairly well. I know several people who bought from there who are very happy with their horses and the service they received. I know of a couple where it didn't work out, but there was no difficulty with Patsy taking them back (her warranties are actually worth more than the paper they are written on!!). I bought my mare from there 2 1/2 years ago and was happy to go back when I was horse shopping again last year. They never give the hard sell and genuinely want people to end up with the right horse.

Good luck with your shopping.

Blizzard

Visit site
LOL tarquin at having the neck the right way up, 'Sassy' has the strangest shaped head Ive ever seen.
And poor Digit, lovely head but a clear example of just breeding anything with anything.

Why is it that with dogs etc we are told to only breed the best with the best to improve the breed, yet so so many people just breed any horse with any other horse just to have a foal!

I think 'bombproof' is a clear example of why you maybe shouldnt LOL!

Their sister site lazy plods seems to have a few strange ones too, and I see what you mean about the bits, are they just sticking the same one in every horses gob regardless of size, I think so, just so they can say 'snaffle mouth' !

Not that Im skeptical you know!
grin.gif

has31

New User
Visit site
Hi Stella, Gatwick is quite a way from us, so thanks for tip about stubley hollow farm - nice to hear you've been happy with them. I'll have a look at that website, too.

_OC_

Visit site
Hi HAS31 My cob is from SAFECOBS.com they are based in two sites in Surrey and Sussex I went to the Surrey site not far from Gatwick.The best thing I did -they want your partnership with the horse to work and give help and advice - what I call good after sales care.To be honest at the time they seem expensive,but,just take a look at the price of horses in genral and to be honest there not so bad-thats just my opinion.Just read the letter page none are fabricated and mine is on there. There is a lady called Liz and due to her ill health had to give up riding and resell her horse Duke she is a older lady(hope she does not mind me saying that!!!) and her letters are very interesting reading and she strikes me as a lady who really knows what she is talking about!!!!Lia who I saw when I went to try my boy was excellent she listerned to what I wanted and my vet who did my vetting was very impressed with them(now he is the hardest vet you could have to do your vetting does not pass many) and what I liked was that when I arrived the tack was given to me so I tacked him up!!!!My cob has had a few moments but nothing that could not be dealt with and despite his size is never strong-and the best thing is he bonded to me quite quickly and comes to call in the field and thats worth every penny I spent on him.Regards Me & My Cob