Anyone here from spain?

dunc_n_toby

Visit site
My parents have moved across to spain. I'm curious what do the horses eat out there (Southern Spain).
I visited a tack shop whilst I was over there, just wondered if anyone has taken thier horse to spain and what the costs of keep were?
How about farriers? I would imagine they are few and far between?

Weezy

Visit site
SOrry and Horses over there eat Alfafa (I presume you mean forage) and oat straw - farriers, yes they exist
wink.gif
and livery is WAY cheaper than over here!

Did you go to the tack shop at the Equestrian Centre at Estepona or maybe El Caballo in Marbella or somewhere completely different?

dunc_n_toby

Visit site
oh now I can't remember, it was a fereteria??? excuse my spelling. They live near Orcal Overa (Spell???)
Have you taken english horses across?? If so how did they adapt? What costs/regulations are involved??

Tia

Visit site
freckles22uk took horses from England to Spain when she moved. You could also PM her to ask for advice on shipping.

Weezy

Visit site
Yes we imported many horses over from the UK - most adapted well, but a fair few did get sweet itch (we *think* from the cork trees), nothing to dire tho, I just hogged my mare and tehn she was fine - the little welshies were dosed with benzo!

Cost for shipping is around £500 - £800 depending on transporter and it is fairly straight forward

dunc_n_toby

Visit site
oooh much cheaper than I expected.
Why is everything hogged??? I did ride whilst over there but the guide could only speak a few words of english.
Quite funny cos mum can speak Spanish quite well but doesn't know horsey terms - mane,hogg etc. .

Weezy

Visit site
Ohhh that is interesting, hogged horses are not the norm, tho mares are hogged - a couple of our geldings were hogged because they had sweetich type probs and as I said, my mare (shire x hanno) was because otherwise she scratched until she bled
frown.gif
Polo ponies are hogged
wink.gif

spaniel

Visit site
Weezy why are they docked, surely the tail would be seriously useful in the spanish climate...is it traditional?

Weezy

Visit site
Yep tradition - one of the few things I seriously disagree with, tails are a necessary in a hot country IMO

TBH it isnt as widespread as it was 20 years ago, in fact it could even be "illegal" now, but it is certainly still carried out, especially in breeding mares.

Weezy

Visit site
Yes they are called Serreton - I have one - they are used for handling and riding. They should be bound in leather however that is usually not the case. If you see horses with scars on their noses, that is what has caused it - BUT before people start shouting ANIMAL CRUELTY, used correctly they are fabulous tools

dunc_n_toby

Visit site
So how are they used? I did see some leather bound ones.
Judging by the high level training the horses I saw had I wouldn't consider them cruel if they are effective

Weezy

Visit site
the 1 ring ones are used for grounwork, the 3 or 2 ring ones are used to ride off - they put pressure on the nose, not dissimilar to a German hackamore but they do not have shanks!

freckles22uk

www.foxykeepsakes.co.uk
hi just found this thread,

I bought 2 horses over from the UK, we have been here now for 2 years, the horses adapted with no problems at all, in fact they both have foals now, plus I bought 2 horses here, (all appaloosas)
we feed Alfalfa and barley straw, and I import food from the UK, (we get it trade, so works out cheaper than buying it here) you can get sugar beet here, and mine also have that,
the vets are fab, well the ones ive used are, and are very up to date, and cheaper than the UK
Farriers, mmm a bit hit and miss, they are either reliable but not very good, or unreliable and very good,
mine are now all bare foot,
big problem in summer is the flys, so fly repellant and fly masks at the ready,
most tack shops are ok, but I also buy off ebay.

it cost me £1700 to bring them over I used john Parkers and can highly recommend them

if you want to know anything feel free to email me
jendeakin@aol.com

ive also set up a website forum for people thinking of coming to Spain with horses,
http://mariolaappies.proboards76.com

jenny

ps what are you thinking of bring over, and to what area. im inbetween Valencia and Alicante, but inland, at a place called Bocairent