Anyone Imported Horse from Europe

sillygillyhorse

Visit site
If I import a horse from europe and have to pay for it in euros will it be classed as a business transaction by a bank? If so would I be entitled, when wiring the money, to commercial exchange rates rather than the usual holiday rates, or is there no difference now the euro is in place?

reynold

Visit site
why not save all that hassle and buy a nice british bred horse instead ? we do breed some good horses here as well as over the channel ;-)

sloulou

Azerbaijan (or London and Suffolk - maybe...)
Visit site
Sorry - I don't know... but would be interested to see answers having just bought mine in euros from ROI... I didn't even ask - I just got the bank to send the money in Euros - then they charged me a small fee for doing that... Not sure what the exchange rate was - but can work it out if you like...

sillygillyhorse

Visit site
I am aware that if you buy a house etc in a foreign currency there are often different "business" exchange rates. May not be applicable with the Euro but if there is it all helps, better in my pocket than the banks.

If you dont mind me asking what sort of fee did you pay, guess they charge for the currency exchange and also a telegraphic transfer fee too.

sillygillyhorse

Visit site
Answered my own question with a call to the bank. Apparently only if sending over £25k will they look at alternative rates.

Glad I called as would not have known I could get stung for the fees incurred at the other end!

snurse

Visit site
Imported horse from Holland. No problem. Sellers trade so much with this country that they have an English bank - simply transferred the money in £s.

Tia

Visit site
Not sure; I had a business account which dealt in Euros aswell as Pounds so have no idea how it was converted.

Good luck though - but DO be careful with what you are buying.
smile.gif

SSM

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
why not save all that hassle and buy a nice british bred horse instead ? we do breed some good horses here as well as over the channel ;-)

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly
mad.gif
mad.gif

crabbymare

Visit site
QR
You would need to be transfering serious money to get better rates! its very easy to do the transfer, but its best to get the forms so that you know what details you need for it. Usually its bank name and address, IBAN number and the vendors details and account number.

Hope you find a nice one
smile.gif