Anyone keep horses and live/ work in Oxford?

HashRouge

Visit site
I will be starting an MA at Oxford University in Oxford and living in university accommodation. I don't really know the area at all so would like some advice on livery yards/ grazing that would be accessible from the city centre (I have a car and hours should be flexible, so won't need to travel in rush hour etc). My ideal would be grass livery or just renting a field, for two retired, unshod and generally well behaved neds. We've rented land before from a farmer and have kept the ponies on a private yard for years and I'm sure the farmer and/ or yard owner would provide references if needed - everyone seems to love the ponies and we've always been good tenants/ paid on time etc. But I don't know if renting land might be harder down south and I'd be quite happy with grass livery too, if available. I'd only stable them if no other option as they just aren't used to being in and they're both arthritic, so it's not ideal for them. Can anyone give me any help or suggestions as to where to look? Just a bit of general info on the area would be useful tbh!
Read more at http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/foru...s-and-live-work-in-Oxford#1c45xcsfy2rr8FYr.99

Dumbo

Visit site
I'm a student at Brookes but always lived in Oxford and keep my horse on a yard locally. I'm familiar with a lot of the surrounding yards so happy to give you a few names, and who to avoid!
Not many that offer purely grass livery but a few DIY yards that offer all year turnout.

Abacus

Visit site
You could try Durham Leys Farm in Marsh Baldon, which is south of Oxford. They offer all year round grass livery for a very reasonable price. They have a school and reasonable hacking.

Barnacle

Visit site
I did my undergrad and an MA at Oxford... But I have very little of use to say concerning the horsey side of things except have you checked that there's somewhere for you to keep your car? Some colleges have decent parking but not all student accommodation is in the actual college (particularly for post-grads) and parking can be an absolute nightmare. I used to walk everywhere as I don't drive anyway and it's not hard to get to livery yards on foot as Ox is utterly teeny - but definitely check about the feasibility of taking your car with you if you haven't already.

HashRouge

Visit site
I did my undergrad and an MA at Oxford... But I have very little of use to say concerning the horsey side of things except have you checked that there's somewhere for you to keep your car? Some colleges have decent parking but not all student accommodation is in the actual college (particularly for post-grads) and parking can be an absolute nightmare. I used to walk everywhere as I don't drive anyway and it's not hard to get to livery yards on foot as Ox is utterly teeny - but definitely check about the feasibility of taking your car with you if you haven't already.

I have, don't worry ;)

gnubee

Visit site
There are a few fields available for rental in the area. Most are about 20 mins out in botley or headington direction I think. Rural estate agent will prob be able to give info on latest availability, but it's a bit hot and miss so I would highly recommend checking the land out before you commit to rental.