Anyone know anyone thats tried this matting??

ru-fi-do

Visit site
Just having a browse for some matting and saw these and just wondered if anyone had or knows anyone that has had it?? I have my other stables done in the normal 6x4 sheets and thought this would be easier to handle, the feedback on them seems good, a couple have said not suitable for heavy horses because they move but it would be for a 14.2hh and the mats 'should' fit perfectly.

Opinions please
smile.gif
smile.gif

Matting

the watcher

Visit site
A friend of mine with a TB stud has recently installed these in all her foaling boxes. They MUST be laid on concrete and do have a lot of give, so I wouldn't want a horse standing on them 24/4 for fear of possible tendon damage. However for overnight they are great - she uses hers with no bedding at all as they are so soft, so each stable is a 5 minute sweepout and washdown in the mornings

ru-fi-do

Visit site
Are they quite spongey then? Our horses are on alternate day turnout at the minute and would be in with a sprinkle of shavings as I have a very wet and messy gelding, does she have any problem with them moving in the joins when the stands on them do you know - if that makes sense!
smile.gif

sidesaddlegirl

www.sidesaddlegirl.co.uk
I bought 18 of them a couple of weeks ago from that seller for my two 9'6" each stables and installed them last Saturday (well, my friend's husband who used to be a carpet fitter installed them as I'm useless with things!).

I'm quited pleased with them, they are quite springey but seem sturdy enough (my floors are concrete). My neds (15.3hh and 13hh) are only in at night though and my old pony is a bit arthritic so I feel they suit her fine.

The first night I had them in, Hattie played with them but they have flattened out with the ned's standing on them and I bought Hattie a horseball to play with in her stable so now no problems. The stables are alot warmer and I use less bedding (straw) as well.

You do have to fit them tightly though as they do move around at first (mostly with much getting underneath them) but for the past two days, I've not had any lifting up so it may have just been a case of the rubber flatting out. Hattie is a VERY messy mare, smearing poo and wee everywhere but it takes me less time to clean her out. In the pony's stable, it only takes me a couple of minutes to do it with the matting down.

I went to YHL and got a few quotes to do my stables but it was WAY above my budget but I'm quite happy with this matting and would buy from them again if I ened up getting more stables!
smile.gif
They post REALLY fast too which is a good thing.

custard

Visit site
I had a sample but wasn't impressed. The crumb didn't seem very well bonded together so don't know how hard wearing it would be.

Also have tried porous crumb mats in a stable and found they stank after a couple of weeks, even with using proper rubber mat disinfectant. Horse urine tends to block the mats and collects in it much like a sponge. Horses' rugs reeked and stable felt permanently damp. It was a well drained floor but I couldn't get rid of them fast enough. They are designed to let rainwater through, not something with the consistency of horse wee.

I would always use 'solid' mats for indoors, try Carpetpac on ebay they are well recommended by folk on here and have had quite a few mats from them myself.

duggan

Visit site
We have some, they are porous and light so they move. They started to break up after a short while, and I put them out on the yard as useless. They are good for covering ice patches though! I'd go for hard rubber mats, we have those in all stables and they work well, save a fortune and a lot of time!