Anyone know of any good books on breeding/rearing foals????

claire1976

Visit site
I am considering putting my healthly, fit mare into foal sometime over the next 12-18 months. She had 2 healthy foals with her previous owner when she was 6-8 years old. She's 14 now. I have experience with youngsters and my sister worked on a stud farm in Australia for 7 years so I'm not without the knowledge. Just would like a couple of decent books to read up on breeding and rearing a foal so I can do some homework.
Any suggestions???
Also, I am wanting to keep the foal with the intention of rearing it to eventually replace my mare who I will put in retirement when she's around 20. Has anyone any advice on this- is weaning likely to be difficult and I am going to have 2 horses with such a strong bond that I can never ride one or the other out??
confused.gif

smallgirl

Visit site
Hi

A book my Mum and I used as a bible was 'From Foal to Full Grown by Janet Lorch

I still refer to it occasionally even though he is 8 now!

Best of luck with the breeding

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
One of the best is by Peter Rossdale called 'Horse Breeding' and there's another by Henry Wynmalen called 'Horse Breeding and Stud Management' which has been updated; both are brilliant along with the Janet Loch one mentioned before.
There are also two by Ann Leighton Hardman, 'Amateur Horse Breeder' and 'Young Horse Management', both very informative and written by someone who has been there and done it! I used to have them in my pocket, how sad is that?!

I can't see there being too many problems after weaning although your youngster might like a young playmate to keep it company until it is old enough to be in work itself.

claire1976

Visit site
Thanks guys, I will get hunting for the aforementioned books.
Little foalie will have small mumsie pony to keep it company, I wouldn't leave it on its own when out riding.