Anyone know what colour he is? CC also welcome!

Izzwall

Visit site
Hey all, was just wondering if anyone could possibly name what colour my boy is? He's just turned 5, came off wild off Bodmin moor and I brought him at an auction as a 3 year old where he was jet black with a tiny little blanket spot. But as he's gotten older he seems to have turned into a completely different horse! Not a clue what his breeding is either :confused: Conformation critique also welcome, he's a funny shaped thing. Just starting to be backed now too :D
Hoping the pics aren't too big!
rams6.jpg

rams5.jpg

rams4.jpg

rams2.jpg

rams1.jpg

rams3.jpg

The day I got him home -
rams-1.jpg

DosyMare

Visit site
I would say his got some appaloosa in there - maybe a cross/could be pure but I don't know enough about the breed.

Roan blanket with spots - I think they call the face/nose mottled.

But I'm no expert - but what a lovely boy you have.

Last edited:

Fools Motto

Visit site
He came off Bodmin moor? There I was thinking along the lines of 'small hairy pony 57 thing'... How big is he?
Bless him, I'd put him down as appaloosa of some sort... I think your'll find that he will get paler and more spotty as times goes by, seeing him now compared to jet black when you got him.

Izzwall

Visit site
He was 14.2hh when I brought him and what it says on his passport but measured him the other day and he's 15.1hh and a bit. No idea how he survived up there as he always seems to show the 'the lights are on but nobodies home' look, bless him and was that worried about his dumb moments I got the vet out to check his eyes! :p All is fine with them so I think he's just a bit 'slow' ha!

PingPongPony

Visit site
my fist thought was also snowflake appaloosa, i think he'll grey out and become more spotty as he gets older, my friend bought a foal that was jet black with 3 white socks and a bit white blaze, but was out of 2 appaloosa parents, she is now 5, is very light grey with darker bits on her face and legs and is a blanket spot so i think your boy will be similar. he's lovely btw :)

Jazzy B

Visit site
a friend of mine also had a pony with this coloring (he was off dartmoor) he now has the same colouring as pingponypony describes :) I think your chap is very handsome too!

Newlands

Visit site
He is lovely and looks very similar in the face and body to my old pure bred Appy youngster I recently sold.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
He looks like a snowflake apoloosa to me, especially with the whites of his eyes. However, his tail is very nice for an appy. They usually have very whispy tails, so I think he's probably an appy cross. Lovely looking horse.

zoon

Visit site
He looks like a snowflake apoloosa to me, especially with the whites of his eyes. However, his tail is very nice for an appy. They usually have very whispy tails, so I think he's probably an appy cross. Lovely looking horse.

I have a pure bred appaloosa - 4 generations of pure appy to appy breeding and he has a full mane and tail - thicker than my TBs mane and tail. Think it depends on the lines in the breeding. Stallions such as amazing technicolour have very sparse mane and tail, but grade a Drea Yakima Firshado has an amazing full length thick mane and tail

I'd describe this horse as a marbled appaloosa - the marble effect will cause him to lighten with time and reveal more spots. Totally different gene to roan. Horse will roan out evenly, but as you can see the marble effect is uneven. He may eventually end up near leopard one day

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I have a pure bred appaloosa - 4 generations of pure appy to appy breeding and he has a full mane and tail - thicker than my TBs mane and tail. Think it depends on the lines in the breeding. Stallions such as amazing technicolour have very sparse mane and tail, but grade a Drea Yakima Firshado has an amazing full length thick mane and tail

I'd describe this horse as a marbled appaloosa - the marble effect will cause him to lighten with time and reveal more spots. Totally different gene to roan. Horse will roan out evenly, but as you can see the marble effect is uneven. He may eventually end up near leopard one day

That's interesting. Thanks. :)

Tinsel Town

Visit site
I would say an apaloosa as well, Spot has changed over time, he was more a roan in his face and neck and now his has got lighter :)

fatpiggy

Visit site
Well a Bodmin Moor pony he most certainly ain't!! Makes you wonder what is running up there. Perhaps he is dad is the Beast of Bodmin :) Seriously though, he looks a nice type. A useful size and quite well put together.

LazyS

Visit site
Lovely boy. I would say he was a marbled Appaloosa crossed with something. I have a friend who breeds Appaloosas on Bodmin Moor. She has a black appy stallion with lots of hair but I don't think he has been there long enough to sire yours, and I only think she breeds pure breds but if you want to PM me I can give you an address to write to her, she knows lots of people in the area and may be able to help. She doesn't do computers and the like. I would think your boy will eventually colour out to leopard too but the spots won't go, they will emerge from under the darker area. Enjoy him whatever colour he is. :)

Mince Pie

Visit site
I like him, nicely put together with a good sloping shoulder, well set on neck, straight legs and what looks to be a good second thigh. For my taste though he is a little long in the back.

Visit site
He's definitely got some Appaloosa in there somewhere! He is lovely :) My part bred Appy has Pintaloosa markings (he is skewbald at the front and spotty at the back) he has greyed out a lot over the years so not sure if eventually he will completely loose the skewbald markings, but the spots are very black - like spots of ink! He has a full tail and nearly a full mane (there is a little bit of Appy hair in his mane though, and his forelock is typical Appy-like!) :)

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
He possibly has the varnish gene. Appy genetics are complicated but KarynK who often posts on the breeding section knows all about them. Maybe you could PM her to alert her to this thread?

bumper

Visit site
I saw this post whilst at work, but couldn't reply til now..he looks very similar in type to mine...put together much the same, and the same small feathers. Appy x cob type:
IMG_0341.jpg

He's lovely!

Izzwall

Visit site
Thankyou for all your comments :D Bumper your horse looks like a brown version of Rambo! Very handsome! So he's a marbled appaloosa? Very glad his conformation isn't that bad, he's really filled out lately and looks more like his age now instead of looking like a weedy 3 year old!

Another quick question but do you think he's carrying too much weight? My friend said he's looking chubby and could get laminitis?? I've always thought he looked bang on :confused: