Anyone know what happened to Oli at Pau??

chester1234

www.lkequestrian.com
Shee - not ONCE did I complain about the scoreboard writers. I laughed with my mum as they had to keep changing the JON / ON as they'd initially not split it and I actually said "oh I feel for them!" You have that totally utterly wrong, that was NOT me. I don't actually know any juniors, the only person I stood and spoke to was OL and we were talking about points, placings, rides, events we'd done, plans, NOT the scoreboard nor the writers.

I'm sorry if I have ever given the opinion that I think I am holier than thou - I actually feel pretty sh*t about my riding, and in the past few weeks have been talked out of giving up a number of times by my mum and some close friends.

CaleruxShearer

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
talavera, you may not of said you were better than OT but it is just the impression you give off, and i know a few people who agree with me. the same with eventerlad.

i just think some people need to re-think their attitudes otherwise it will catch them out at some point.

also, at LD i noticed you plus another junior complaining about the scoreboard writters, while they were in ear shot. which i feel is incredibly rude.

[/ QUOTE ]

is there really any need to get personal about people who are just expressing an opinion on a forum? so what if people think running CQ was a mistake- its only an opinion after all?!!
crazy.gif
thats the whole point of the forum- to give people chance to share their opinions which some people agree with and some disagree with... i just don't see the need to get personal with people...
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agree with this. I really don't think there is any need to be nasty and personal like this. Also i find the comment that Talavera has *only* competed at Nov/1* a bit strange. Nov/1* is something to be proud of and is a damm sight better than a lot of teenagers are doing
frown.gif

shee

Visit site
look, i'm not anti - junior completely the opposite infact; my daughter is heavily involved in all pc and eventing activities and was a memeber of junior euro team in 08 and hoping again for '10

however, some juniors do think they're invinsible (i know its not only juniors) but just something i have picked up on from a few of their post

the younger members of the forum, sometimes may need to , keep an opinion or two to themselves as everyone has quite rightly said juniors are the future of this sport and i would hate to think they may jeopardise any sponsors, owners etc. from something they have written on this forum...

only_me

Visit site
glad to hear you are not anti-junior
smile.gif
good luck for your daughter next year
smile.gif

I'm out of juniors (im 18/19) anyways, its just the juniors on here are actually more knowalageble (sp) than most juniors because they have vast amounts of people to ask for help from. They also write reports on events, therefore reflecting on how they went and so become more critical of themselves - well, thats how i feel anyways.

It is worth remembering though, and I do agree with you, everyone needs to write their comment, and then think "what if X/Y/Z saw this, what would they think?" then delete it and write again
tongue.gif

but fwiw, taverla and eventerslad dont act as though they are invinsible, often they are too highly critical of their riding etc.
smile.gif

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I think he is an experienced horse and they picked him up 'cheap' because of his lameness issues. He has been lightly campaigned for 3 years and is not getting younger. I do not really have an issue with it. Look at Sea the Stars and what he has done as a 3yo!!

teapot

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Not read the whole thread, just in answer to the OP
Gossip was that the horse was hopping lame before it went into the SJing, hence the amount of fences down.
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously? If that's the case then my increased time and respect for OT this year might have just gone down again.

Am praying it's gossip and nothing more
frown.gif

Luci07

Visit site
We are all speculating though...it was a real shame about the no of fences down, and OT is far too high profile etc to have down that if he thought that his horse would have so many faults.

but then again, it could just be horses - he will not be the only rider with a real change of form - even the incomparable WFP has been caught out by Tamarillo!

kerilli

Visit site
they used to ice and walk them all night at a 3-day in the old days, in fact Sue Benson wrote of them doing it to her horse when she was on the team once (could have been at Euros), she went into sj in 2nd or 1st place, team in gold posn if she went well i think, and horse was so out of it after being walked literally all night (as in, no time to stiffen up - or sleep, of course - at all) that iirc they fell through a jump... and lost it all.
must admit, i've done frantic icing at home if i think a horse might possibly have done a leg, well into the night, just in case... might do a lot of good and won't do any harm.
i heard they were relieved when he was sound after having shoe replaced before sjing. he has had leg trouble in the past BUT he passed the trot-up.
must admit, i find it hard to believe that ANY horseman or woman would ride a horse they KNEW to be lame around a course esp a big course. just imagine how his image/career would suffer if the horse broke down completely under him. i know he's appeared hard in the past but i do NOT believe for a second that he would risk that, even for a big purse. i think he cares about his horses more than that, this horse won Burghley for him and might well win Kentucky/Badders next year, or go to Worlds etc...
we all know how fast the wheels can come off sjing, with only a few secs between each fence to try to put things right.
at every 3-day there is always one cricket score in the sjing, i just can't remember it ever being the overnight leader... actually, i can, Claire Bowley and Fair Share at Badders, factfans.
i really hope that CQ is okay and comes right, and is back in action next year. ditto FC of course.

TableDancer

Visit site
I have no inside info, haven't spoken to anyone from Pau yet. Also have no interest in the Junior/Pensioner debate
grin.gif
I do have one point of information, however: Carousel Quest is an absolutely incredible show-jumper - scopey and careful beyond belief, could almost have had a pure SJ career. With both Cressie and Oli his SJ record was amazing, it was on the basis of her clear at Burghley that Cressie rose to 3rd. So for this horse, in particular, to have 7 down there must have been a problem of some sort. It could perfectly easily have been a short-term issue like a bruised sole rather than something more radical. I think most riders have worked hard to get a horse through a trot-up (yes, iced all the hours available), then chanced their arm jumping one SJ round hoping adrenaline will help out for the 2 minutes necessary. I know I have, I can think of two occasions when I've been guilty of this heinous crime. Once it worked and the horse jumped beautifully, once it didn't and I had 6 down
shocked.gif
blush.gif
The difference is, I didn't do it under the glare of publicity that riders like Oli have to put up with
wink.gif

oldvic

Visit site
While CQ has done 3 4*s this year, he has not had a hard season with only 6 runs across country. He is not considered a reliable team horse due to soundness issues and it is the amount of work required to get a horse fit that takes its toll. He was fit after Burghley so only had to maintain that for Pau. Who is to say how many more fitness regimes he will stand so possibly it is better to use him while he is ok. IF he was sore on Sunday it does not mean that it was a run too far - any number of short term reasons could be to blame. If Ollie had saved him for the grand slam, where is the guarantee that a) the horse will make it to Kentucky or b) that he will win anyway? Even top class horses are not machines and can make mistakes.