Anyone know what happened to Oli at Pau??

Eventerlad15

Visit site
I dont know but he had a total disaster. TBh he never really needed to fun once he knew he had won the classics, and with grandslam next year I thnk he was very foolish to do 3 4*'s this year-an ameter would be slated!

kerilli

Visit site
but, a 4* is NOT the endurance test it was, he wasn't the only one to run a horse at both. also, i'm pretty sure the top (potential team etc) horses are scanned after a 3-day run and i'm sure that if there'd been any cause for concern at all, he wouldn't have run. he's not been my fave in the past for running horses too fast/too often, but not in this case i think.
he had to run 1 here to win the Classics, didn't he, or WFP might have won?

molly7886

Visit site
I'm no expert at the art of maintaining horses at that top level (have no strong feelings either way about OT- there's good & bad in most riders I'd say & a lot to be learnt from hindsight!!)
I just wondered if it was time/refusals/knock downs- if there was a problem with horse or his concentration etc

lizzie_liz

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I dont know but he had a total disaster. TBh he never really needed to fun once he knew he had won the classics, and with grandslam next year I thnk he was very foolish to do 3 4*'s this year-an ameter would be slated!

[/ QUOTE ]

Now are you only saying that because he had a bad SJ round today? If the horse only had one or two poles down, I expect you wouldnt be mentioning how many 4*s they had done in one year.

Everyone has a bad day, once in a while.

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
Interesting if the horse was slightly footy that is a poor quite dead surface to jump off and I wouldn't be surprised if it clocked up a cricket score.

Huge congratulations to Lucy and Prince 4th in the horses first 4* and a fantastic prospect for the teams.

kerilli

Visit site
i haven't seen the round yet, live feed wasn't running smoothly for me.
must admit i thought it sounded a tad arrogant of OT to say that CQ was "in a different league" to most other horses, there are a lot of v v classy horses there. wonder what the other riders thought of that comment...

Lizzie2106

Visit site
From what I heard, CQ was very tired today. Guess it's not really a surprise though, having completed Burghley barely 6 weeks ago.

shee

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I have to say concerns were raised over the number and closeness of the 4* runs in a previous thread before the SJ, so pleased don't jump on eventerlad's back - I quiet agree with him tbh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Talavera and eventerlad, i understand that the both of you have only done novice and 1 1*, therefore, i do not think this gives you the right to judge and critise what people do at a lot higher level than yourself.

yes, you can have an opinion, but in all honnesty most people on this forum (not everyone - please dont jump down my throat people!) havent competed above novice, and they all seem to think that because their names have appeared on an online forum that they are better, more experienced and more influential - they're not!!!!!!

im sorry buy the 'juniors of HHO' have been rubbing me up the wrong way for a while now!..

kerilli

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
From what I heard, CQ was very tired today. Guess it's not really a surprise though, having completed Burghley barely 6 weeks ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

OT said in an interview that he was really happy that the horse finished so strongly yesterday.
from uptowneventing:
Oliver Townend: “Carousel Quest is in a different league to most other horses. My main worry was that he can jump so big that I was a little concerned about the spread to arrowhead at 17, but he is so obedient to ride that he will always get out of trouble. We nearly made a mess of the last combination, and had to do that on a hop, skip and jump, but again he is easy to correct. And the way he galloped home so well made me very happy.”

Eventerlad15

Visit site
I am not trying to say I am better than any rider, OT or other and am not trying to be cocky or anything, I was merely pointing out the importance of Kentucky to Oli, and having sound horses for it, each 4* adds extra risks to that soundness.

molly7886

Visit site
If anyone is still reading this to see the answer to my original question, I gather he had 7 fences down, so guessing 3 time penalties!

I think we're probably all a bit guilty of being armchair experts from time to time! I really hate confrontation (have enough of that in my day job!) so would it be fair to say that individuals make decisions as to what events they enter (whether they are eventers/race horse trainers/human athletes etc etc) based on lots of factors. There are financial implications, sponsors/owners pressures etc but we like to think that where horses are involved those decisions are not KNOWINGLY to the detriment of the horse.
I agree an amateur would be criticised but as they wouldn't have the pressure of earning a living from running or probably have horses at that level anyway, please can we put the 'discussion' to bed & all look forward to next season & making good choices for our horses
smile.gif

only_me

Visit site
so who do you class as the "juniors of HHO"?

And for the record, everyone has the right to their opinon.

Its up to Oli if he wants to run his best horse so often, he doesnt need to justify it or have anyone justifying it for him.

superpony

Visit site
I feel that Oli knows what is best for his horse, yes there is Kentucky to consider for next year. But hopefully he will have Flint back to 100% by then too. And it is next year after all.

At the end of the day he is a professional, who has the support of many other professionals, owners, trainers, yogi etc. They will know what is best for his horses. And the decision is up to him, not people on forums who don't know him or his horse.

Saints_fan88

Visit site
I can't believe for one minute that the owners would've let Oli run CQ if they thought it would have any detrimental effect on him, surely he is more precious to everyone around him than that.

Pity as it would've been a great end to the year, but i'm sure winning the classics makes it a bit better :p

Wishful

Visit site
Interestingly Grantevvka Prince had less time off after Blenheim than CQ did after Burghley but no-one is criticising Lucy's decision to run him. He's young and Pau was his first 4* - so does that make it easier for him or more difficult?

chester1234

www.lkequestrian.com
Shee - I echo Eventerlad [again]. At no point have I said that I am in anyway shape or form better than OT or any other rider for that matter, and I have a right to my opinion. In my opinion - and it is purely that - I think 2 4*'s in 6wks is an ask.

I have never said I am more influential, experienced or better.

Rather than jumping down our throats, why doesn't someone say why it's no biggie doing 2 4*'s in 6wks? Kerilli touched on the fact it's not the stamina test it used to be - but all of mine get a day off after eventing and, as Shee pointed out so well, I've done novice and one one star. Maybe I wrap my lot in cotton wool, but if they did Burghley they'd get a break and then maybe possibly an OI at the end of the season?

Re FC, spoke to someone [who has, coincidentally, ridden at 4*] at SOE, and they said that it wouldn't surprise her if it was serious
frown.gif
Apparently there's been occasions of frantic icing until late at night...

SpottedCat

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Shee - I echo Eventerlad [again]. At no point have I said that I am in anyway shape or form better than OT or any other rider for that matter, and I have a right to my opinion. In my opinion - and it is purely that - I think 2 4*'s in 6wks is an ask.

I have never said I am more influential, experienced or better.

Rather than jumping down our throats, why doesn't someone say why it's no biggie doing 2 4*'s in 6wks? Kerilli touched on the fact it's not the stamina test it used to be - but all of mine get a day off after eventing and, as Shee pointed out so well, I've done novice and one one star. Maybe I wrap my lot in cotton wool, but if they did Burghley they'd get a break and then maybe possibly an OI at the end of the season?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, well, I've only done to N too, but mine rarely gets the day off afterwards - I invariably hack out to check for stiffness/unlevelness which I can feel better than see. I can't gauge what I'd do after a 4* since I've never done a 3day, but I suspect time off would be more for my benefit than the horse - it usually is!

[ QUOTE ]
Re FC, spoke to someone [who has, coincidentally, ridden at 4*] at SOE, and they said that it wouldn't surprise her if it was serious
frown.gif
Apparently there's been occasions of frantic icing until late at night...

[/ QUOTE ]

I really wouldn't read anything into a 4* team icing until late at night, it's pretty common practice from what I've heard.

kerilli

Visit site
T, quite a few horses did Pau after Burghley or Blenheim, don't have time to cross-check now but i can think of a few instantly.
10 or so mins of extreme exertion with a fit, ready horse is really not a huge deal. old-style took loads out of them (well, most of them, some were fresh as a daisy after!) but weeks to get over it is a long time imho.
where i used to live in Northants, our 2 most local p2ps were on Saturday and Bank Holiday Monday (1 clear day between) and a LOT of owners/trainers used to run horses at both, and often they'd win at both. that was over about 4 miles ish iirc. not as much exertion as a 4-star, i know (fewer jumping efforts, far less mentally taxing) but still quite a lot at a fast gallop, and they bounced back fine.
i don't agree with OT (or anyone else) running a horse in events 2 or 3 days apart, but weeks apart is a long time to recover imho.

chester1234

www.lkequestrian.com
K - thanks for clearing that up, makes sense. I was a bit
shocked.gif
at the P2P
crazy.gif
but thats just me
blush.gif

SC - mine are usually checked over and trotted up, but a lazy day is the way it goes
blush.gif
When I say late night...I didn't want to get in trouble but the phrase was "well into the morning". I was also told something else, but shan't post for fear of being branded slanderous! If your curiosity gets the better of you, PM me
wink.gif

SpottedCat

Visit site
I still think it's common practice - and I'd be amazed how true it was - most stables now close overnight precisely to STOP grooms icing and walking all night, which did used to happen apparently.

chester1234

www.lkequestrian.com
That makes a lot of sense
crazy.gif
It's worrying that people are that results driven that they would ice and walk all night to get it through the next trot up? Surely there's only so much you can do, and if you have to do lots and lots it won't pass anyway, or last through to the SJ? Again, I may be wrong, never been in that position.

shee

Visit site
talavera, you may not of said you were better than OT but it is just the impression you give off, and i know a few people who agree with me. the same with eventerlad.

i just think some people need to re-think their attitudes otherwise it will catch them out at some point.

also, at LD i noticed you plus another junior complaining about the scoreboard writters, while they were in ear shot. which i feel is incredibly rude.

SpottedCat

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

i just think some people need to re-think their attitudes otherwise it will catch them out at some point.

[/ QUOTE ]

So that'd be, oh, every teenager going then?
wink.gif
grin.gif
Come off it, everyone is more or less obnoxious as a teenager - you know enough to think you know what you are doing, but not enough to realise you are winging it on luck more than judgment, and I defy anyone to say they don't look back at some of the things they said/did as a teenager and cringe a little bit. It's part and parcel of growing up. Surely you've heard the saying 'quick, ask a teenager how to solve the world economic crisis (*insert major event of choice here) whilst they still know everything'....
tongue.gif

diggerbez

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
talavera, you may not of said you were better than OT but it is just the impression you give off, and i know a few people who agree with me. the same with eventerlad.

also, at LD i noticed you plus another junior complaining about the scoreboard writters, while they were in ear shot. which i feel is incredibly rude.

[/ QUOTE ]

is there really any need to get personal about people who are just expressing an opinion on a forum? so what if people think running CQ was a mistake- its only an opinion after all?!!
crazy.gif
thats the whole point of the forum- to give people chance to share their opinions which some people agree with and some disagree with... i just don't see the need to get personal with people...
frown.gif

Eventerlad15

Visit site
shee-Talevera was just trying to ask things here, so she could learn, because as you say she has only done up to 1*, as I have, and wants to know more.

Now she has and you criticise her further, i quote 'just think some people need to re-think their attitudes otherwise it will catch them out at some point'-that applies to YOU too.

Thanks SC, I dont really know how this has developed into an anti-junior post, all I did was added my opinion. Surely we should ALL be given the chance to have an opionion, not just the oldies!
laugh.gif
mad.gif

only_me

Visit site
Shee is coming across as obnoxios really, because she/he seems to be of the opinion that anything a junior says/comments on/has an opinion on is pure garbage.

Maybe she/he needs to realise that just because they are juniors dosent mean that they know nothing, usually quite the oposite given that they will most likely be members of a pony club, and hold tests such as the B test.

Oh and as for complaining about score board writers - who hasnt done that?!