Anyone know what these are?

JoshuaR97

Visit site
My youngster has came in today with these sore marks on him. I've washed them in hibiscrub and then sprayed them in purple spray and then thrown a fly rug onto them so he can't rub them etc. Does anyone know what they might be or causing them?

JoshuaR97

Visit site
Someone thought ringworm? But he's not been in contact with any other horses since April when I brought him and these have just started showing? The hairs before we're all flaky.

Last edited:

jojo5

Visit site
Our 'diagnoses' might be complicated by the fact that these are not all the same - e.g. The top one might be poss down to an infestation of some sort ( difficult to see) and if that is irritating or sore he may well be rolling to relieve it and thus making some of the others on stones, twigs, bushes etc as others have said. In particular, the curved line looks different to the others.

touchstone

Visit site
I think it could be ringworm or a fungal infection of some sort, ringworm can live in wood for a decade, so it just needs an infected horse or cow or whatever to have rubbed against it and it can flare up.

Shay

Visit site
Rain scald is the other possibility. (Which - like mud fever - doesn't actually need rain....) Ringworm does result in a very geometric ring which doesn't apply to most of these - although the infection could be at an early stage where is is less distinct. The one on the top of the image looks particularly nasty - I'd be tempted to ask the vet to take a look after the bank holiday.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Well it looks like I'll be the one that points out that the Emperor's new clothes don't actually exist...

Why has this youngster (How old? Yearling, two year old or older?) had, to quote the OP, no contact with other horses since April? Company is so especially, extra essential for young horses and their development into a well rounded adult. I'd argue that it's still absolutely essential for adults, but why on Earth would anyone get a youngster and then keep it alone?

LeannePip

Visit site
Well it looks like I'll be the one that points out that the Emperor's new clothes don't actually exist...

Why has this youngster (How old? Yearling, two year old or older?) had, to quote the OP, no contact with other horses since April? Company is so especially, extra essential for young horses and their development into a well rounded adult. I'd argue that it's still absolutely essential for adults, but why on Earth would anyone get a youngster and then keep it alone?

I was thinking and shocked by this too . . . .

touchstone

Visit site
I thought that the horse was a four year old on individual turnout? Not ideal, but thousands of four year olds will be kept like that on liveries up and down the country I'd imagine.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
The way the OP phrased it made me think that the horse was properly alone/couldn't even touch other horses over a fence. I guess 'no contact' wasn't quite accurate then.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Strange place for ringworm to start usually will have a patch on the face.

Doesn't need horse contact, it lurks in wood and things forever. If he's naive the stress of the move could start it off.

I had a heifer bring it back when she has wandered and nothing else had any symptoms for about 6 months then it took hold (she jumped out of quarantine to join the cows calves and horses grrr).

suffolkmare

Visit site

was wondering about this too...I don't know the OPs circumstances but a could a stressed solo horse self-harm? ie biting at itself? Otherwise I too thought rainscald? If it's not better by Tuesday get vet to check it.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site

This^^

Why do people think this is okay?

HBB

Visit site
I assumed she meant individual turnout, which a lot have on yards now.

So did I, Individual turnout beside her other horses.... Anyway, back to the original topic, OP I hope you get your new horse's wee skin problem resolved quickly.

Last edited: