Anyone live in Brittany?

Mari

Visit site
We are interested in an equestrian property in Landeleau, Brittany. Obviously a long way away from NW England so we need a lot of information before even considering going to view. Agents have said they cannot give us the information we asked for - OS map with property outlined. Floor plan of both floors of the house. Floor plan of stables / outbuildings. Information about equestrian centres / activities in the area. Plus lots of other details. Anyone know the area at all?

onlytheponely

Visit site
I'm not that far from there. The French estate agents don't give out details in advance, they will often ask to meet at a shop or bar near the property and then take you there. They're notoriously secretive but it's the same for everyone. If you PM me the details I could probably find it for you.
There are numerous equestrian centres over here, plenty of competitions.
Be warned though, it is VERY wet in this area during the Winter. I'm from the New Forest and the weather here is awful from November-March. We've been here over ten years and we've had one dry'ish Winter. Any other questions just PM me and I'll do my best to help.

Mari

Visit site
Thank you. Hmm not so keen on wet winters! Have had enough of them in NW, mud mud & more mud! Not keen on hot summers, flies, midges either so where would you suggest for warmish dryish seasons & good off road riding?

pippixox

Visit site
I’m currently trying to find somewhere in north east France due to husbands new job in spring (relocating from south east England) but can’t find anything worth looking at 😩 only a livery yard with no grazing

Shady

Visit site
Thank you. Hmm not so keen on wet winters! Have had enough of them in NW, mud mud & more mud! Not keen on hot summers, flies, midges either so where would you suggest for warmish dryish seasons & good off road riding?
I'm considering moving from here ( south east france) as i am finding the summers too hot now and am starting my research in the Dordogne. It looks like i might get the best of both worlds there if i can avoid the low lying areas that flood. I don't know anybody there so i'm trying to gather what i can online, it's looking promising except for the transport links to south west England, they are nowhere near as good as here.

Rollin

Visit site
We are interested in an equestrian property in Landeleau, Brittany. Obviously a long way away from NW England so we need a lot of information before even considering going to view. Agents have said they cannot give us the information we asked for - OS map with property outlined. Floor plan of both floors of the house. Floor plan of stables / outbuildings. Information about equestrian centres / activities in the area. Plus lots of other details. Anyone know the area at all?
I have answered this question on another thread. Pays de la Loire. The French refer to the Doucer Angevine - the sweet climate of Angers. My French Vets says, this is a perfect climate for breeding horses, this is why the French Kings built their Chateaux here. Angers has a micr-climate and you are only 3 hours from the Channel Ports of Le Havre and Cherbourg.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Over here in France, an agent usually asks you, the potential buyer, to sign a "bon de visite". This is a contract between you and the agent including a clause that you will not contact the seller privately, cutting out the agent and depriving him of his fee. In this case, the contract is between you and the agent, and you undertake not to strike a deal behind the agent's back.

This is why the agent will often ask you to come in to the agency and sign a bunch of these (one for each property you're going to view), or will meet you somewhere and take you to the property.

This is the reason why the agent won't give you the address, won't give you the reference on the land registry (where you can check the land boundaries) and often won't even show you a photo of the property until you've signed the "bon de visite".

I've never heard of anybody trying this, but it should be possible to draft a contract with an agent, to the effect that you undertake to not contact the sellers of any properties that the agent gives you details of, and then the agent can supply you with details of several, without signing a "bon de visite" for each of them in turn.

The alternative to this, is when a seller has an exclusivity agreement with the agent, In this case, the contract is between the seller and the agent, and the seller undertakes not to strike a deal behind the agent's back. In this case, the agent would be able to give you the the land registry reference or give you the address (from which you can find the land registry reference).

sunnyone

Visit site
I'm considering moving from here ( south east france) as i am finding the summers too hot now and am starting my research in the Dordogne. It looks like i might get the best of both worlds there if i can avoid the low lying areas that flood. I don't know anybody there so i'm trying to gather what i can online, it's looking promising except for the transport links to south west England, they are nowhere near as good as here.

Living just south of the Dordogne I have a few thoughts about the dept. as I shop/visit friends/attend events there quite regularly:

1. Height above sea level matters. Keep your height down: 200m and you will have frost in the mornings from now onwards, in summer it can go up to 40° whilst the lower levels are at 29°. Basically you get the geographical continental effect. Hot in summer, cold in winter.

2. Flooding: this year's rain has been exceptional, clouds just burst all over the place. Our empty hay barn had 30cm of rain inside just because the adjacent field drains couldn't cope and we are at the top of a gentle incline! The neighbours who have lived in their properties for 50 years could not believe that their crops had gone.

3. Roads in Dordogne are poor i.e. badly surfaced, twist and wind and are single carriageway most of the time. We hate driving there. We do many kilometres for pleasure but never enjoy the Dordogne experience.

4.. Bergerac airport has very few flights over the winter season, so you'd have to rely on Perigord or Bordeaux to get back to the UK. Toulouse can be really expensive but sometimes Carcassonne can be useful due to the rail and bus link.

If you wish to consider the area further south than the Dordogne dept you might want to take a look at Prayssas in Lot et Garonne. The equestrian centre is at most 1km from the centre of the historic 13th century village. Horses, shops, restaurants etc all thriving and within walking distance. Yes please. We just wish we'd known about it before buying where we did.

The flies have not been as bad this year despite the heat, which until Friday last week was 32° or more at 6 p.m. Rain is now a novelty which finally arrived on Saturday and has now gone. It is currently a blowy 23° at 16.00.

Happy to help further if I can.

Keith_Beef

Visit site

Maybe you should start a new thread, about Dordogne, or Nouvelle-Aquitaine...

Shady

Visit site
Living just south of the Dordogne I have a few thoughts about the dept. as I shop/visit friends/attend events there quite regularly:

1. Height above sea level matters. Keep your height down: 200m and you will have frost in the mornings from now onwards, in summer it can go up to 40° whilst the lower levels are at 29°. Basically you get the geographical continental effect. Hot in summer, cold in winter.

2. Flooding: this year's rain has been exceptional, clouds just burst all over the place. Our empty hay barn had 30cm of rain inside just because the adjacent field drains couldn't cope and we are at the top of a gentle incline! The neighbours who have lived in their properties for 50 years could not believe that their crops had gone.

3. Roads in Dordogne are poor i.e. badly surfaced, twist and wind and are single carriageway most of the time. We hate driving there. We do many kilometres for pleasure but never enjoy the Dordogne experience.

4.. Bergerac airport has very few flights over the winter season, so you'd have to rely on Perigord or Bordeaux to get back to the UK. Toulouse can be really expensive but sometimes Carcassonne can be useful due to the rail and bus link.

If you wish to consider the area further south than the Dordogne dept you might want to take a look at Prayssas in Lot et Garonne. The equestrian centre is at most 1km from the centre of the historic 13th century village. Horses, shops, restaurants etc all thriving and within walking distance. Yes please. We just wish we'd known about it before buying where we did.

The flies have not been as bad this year despite the heat, which until Friday last week was 32° or more at 6 p.m. Rain is now a novelty which finally arrived on Saturday and has now gone. It is currently a blowy 23° at 16.00.

Happy to help further if I can.
Thank you so much for posting this Sunnyone, i'm struggling to get a feel of what it's like there so this helps a lot and in fact i could be swapping somewhere bloomin hot for somewhere just as hot but with less appeal than here. I can be with my mum in Bristol in a matter of hours from here all year round which is important to me as we're all getting older now!
I will look at the area you suggested , i was looking at Perigord vert? i only hack out, never compete or school but i do like to spend hours in the saddle exploring places so off road hacking is a priority.
Iv'e just had the first bit of rain for nearly 4 months, that old saying fart and you miss it is very apt for the quantity.....:D
Thanks again, i may well PM you if that's ok

Keith_Beef

Visit site
Where I live is good for some things (number of yards, ridable paths through the forest), but the land here is very flat.

Where we have a small house in Dordogne is much more varied and interesting terrain, much more rural, property prices are much lower, but fewer yards. And jobs are a bit more limited.

Keith_Beef

Visit site
Thank you so much for posting this Sunnyone, i'm struggling to get a feel of what it's like there so this helps a lot and in fact i could be swapping somewhere bloomin hot for somewhere just as hot but with less appeal than here. I can be with my mum in Bristol in a matter of hours from here all year round which is important to me as we're all getting older now!
I will look at the area you suggested , i was looking at Perigord vert? i only hack out, never compete or school but i do like to spend hours in the saddle exploring places so off road hacking is a priority.
Iv'e just had the first bit of rain for nearly 4 months, that old saying fart and you miss it is very apt for the quantity.....:D

If you decide to live anywhere in the South West, all you need is to be within a thirty minute drive of a main railway line, and you can be in Paris in under three hours. From there, you can fly or get Eurostar to the UK.

So look around Limoges, Angoulême, Brive-la-Gaillarde, Chateauroux, Vierzon....

Rasadi

Visit site
Hi I live in Brittany and know the area well PM if you want anything what size of house and how much land do you want ?

Casey76

Visit site

Don’t come to Alsace *sigh* cold (-20) winters and hot (+35/40) summers, no spring or autumn. Liveries are sh*t and land prices are €€€^^ 🤦🏼‍♀️

Shady

Visit site
Don’t come to Alsace *sigh* cold (-20) winters and hot (+35/40) summers, no spring or autumn. Liveries are sh*t and land prices are €€€^^ 🤦🏼‍♀️
I always want to whisk you away from where you are Casey coz it always sounds like total shit and for the love and effort you put into your horses you deserve more. I can't help but think you would all do better almost anywhere else. xx

Shady

Visit site
Hi I live in Brittany and know the area well PM if you want anything what size of house and how much land do you want ?
Rasadi, you look like you are on a lovely Arab there??
Can i ask what area you are in/ I have some friends who have just moved to Scaer which seems to be further down towards Morbihan and perhaps could offer the OP ( or me ) more of a micro climate and less rain?

Shady

Visit site
Météo France publishes historical climate data on its web site. Put in the post code of the area you want to look at, for example 56000 for Vannes, or 87160 for Saint-Sulpice-les-Feuilles (en Haute-Vienne, not far from Limoges).
Ah , thanks for that Keith, normally i find my neighbours dog more reliable that France Meteo or i ask my mum in England what my weather is going to do but i will surely have a look :)

Thank you for your other suggestions Keith , i remember when Limoges was really , really cheap cos nobody wanted to live there but boy have the prices for houses with land gone up!

Rasadi

Visit site
I am in Central Brittany about 50mins from Scaer we have wonderful riding and great competition also plenty of Rando's all local. The weather is the weather, very hot this year no grass as no rain for months but that is unusual I saw the winter will make up for the dry summer😝 But love it here as normally we have all four seasons and I love the changes it really depends what you looking for!