anyone 'lost' their 15.2 bay tb?

shadowboy

Visit site
Or want to own up to owning it but leaving it in a field with no access to water. Liveries and I have been keeping an eye on said horse, it is rugged although rugs slipping regularly and rubbing and a little underweight. Not a single water container etc in field. Have asked round for owner but no one knows who the horse belongs to. Council own the field. We have all been going up at various times of day over the last 3 weeks to try to see if there is an owner. RSCPA contacted but they won't do anything as its rugged, got grass and there is a large 'puddle' to drink from. Horse is just outside worcester. All bay bar a tiny star. Has racing plates on feet.

be positive

Visit site
If its a tb it should be microchipped can someone get a scanner and at least you should be able to get started with identifying the horse even if finding an owner proves more difficult.

shadowboy

Visit site
Rscpa won't do anything at all because it doesn't meet the requirements for a rescue. I can't warrant paying to get vet out- OH would kill me!

FionaM12

Visit site
Rscpa won't do anything at all because it doesn't meet the requirements for a rescue. I can't warrant paying to get vet out- OH would kill me!

Is there anyone else who'd have a scanner to read the chip? Could a friendly vet/local animal charity lend you one?

samlf

Visit site
ring the council with the address of the field, they will have details of person renting it (provided it hasnt just been dumped)

Goldenstar

Visit site
ring the vet and explain they might do you a freebie , ours would for something like this.Bhs welfare officer might be able to get RSPCA come and scan it if they have a good working relationship in your area.

carthorse

s150.photobucket.com
I agree with , contact the council as they must have responsibility if they lease out field, contact BHS welfare officer. Lucky there are some kind people like you around.

dressagedreamer

Visit site
do the local police have an equine /country unit? tell them you suspect there is a stolen racehorse in the field. I would also contact Newmarket and ask if there has been any stolen horses reported matching this ones description

The RSCPA are hopeless, I reported a very skinny foal to them and they said it looked fine as it had a thick coat..........it was in the middle of last winter, the foal was dead within a week

Goldenstar

Visit site
Just another thought you might be able to get the council to get it scanned as they have a degree of ' duty of care 'as its been dumped on there land you could also point out as they know it's there they have a degree of liability too should it cause injury to a person or damage to property.
Might just be enough for them to organise scanning it.

FionaM12

Visit site
Excuse my ignorance, but are racing plates only used on race horses during their racing career? If so, isn't it pretty odd to find a working racehorse in such a situation? Unless, as the last poster suggested, it's been stolen?

FionaM12

Visit site
The RSCPA are hopeless, I reported a very skinny foal to them and they said it looked fine as it had a thick coat..........it was in the middle of last winter, the foal was dead within a week

That's a heartbreaking story. :( How sad for you to witness, when you'd tried to help.

Fools Motto

Visit site
I fear, due to the cost of 'horse ownership', dumping them and disappearing off radar seems to be on the increase. This is certainly not the first story like this, is it?
Sorry for the horse. I'd offer him a home if I were closer.

be positive

Visit site
Racing plates are usually put on just for the race, then replaced with ordinary shoes within a day or two, so it would be very unusual to find a horse in a field with them on, they do not stay on very well so I am surprised they have not been pulled off.

3Beasties

Visit site
I think he needs to be scanned before you can go any further with this, a micro chip could lead you very quickly to his owner and if they want him back I'm sure they would cover the costs of having the vet out.

We recently had a vet out to a dumped horse and I'm pretty sure they won't be charging us for it.

My guess is that he's been dumped after a poor performance or sustained an injury during his last race!

After 3 weeks I was told that legally we could do what we want with the horse we found...

BlairandAzria

Visit site
3 wise beasties can you say what happened about the grey gelding- i was wondering what happened to him the other day?

op thank goodness youre looking out for him, having racing plates on is pretty unusual, but to me suggests as 3 wise beasties suggests, that hes been dumped poor wee thing. I would harass the council, they will have an animal welfare officer, plus stress the duty of care, and the fact that it is their field- they have some responsibilty surely?

Goldenstar

Visit site
There is a set procedure to follow if an animal is dumped on your land council will have to put this motion after a set time they can dispose of the horse to defray their costs.
however if word gets around that people are kicking up a fuss and trying to trace the owner I would not be surprised if he gets moved on one night.

nicnag

Visit site
A lot of farmers have scanners now for EID tags on sheep/cattle. I know mine reads my horses microchip so if you have a friendly farmer who is kitted up then might be worth a go?

5horses2dogsandacat

Generally on a hill.. when not blown off the side.
Visit site
So were you mistaken about the racing plates? Or do trotters wear them too?

I cant see a gypsy forking out for racing plates.. arent they aluminium and expensive? I doubt they have the skill to even shoe them with such things.

I also have the illusion whether false or not, a trotter is tbxcob type, surely there would be a noticeable difference between the 2 breedings?

By the sounds of things he was probably bought from a sale still in his plates fresh from the tracks and someone assumed being council land it was olde worldy green land where anyone can graze their animals...

Poor thing, god damn the idiotic ideas of people..

bonny

Visit site
I cant see a gypsy forking out for racing plates.. arent they aluminium and expensive? I doubt they have the skill to even shoe them with such things.

I also have the illusion whether false or not, a trotter is tbxcob type, surely there would be a noticeable difference between the 2 breedings?

By the sounds of things he was probably bought from a sale still in his plates fresh from the tracks and someone assumed being council land it was olde worldy green land where anyone can graze their animals...

Poor thing, god damn the idiotic ideas of people..

Awful lot of assumptions going on here.....non of them correct !
I would leave well alone, horse has grass and is rugged, hardly sounds like a welfare case

FionaM12

Visit site
Round here, travellers quite often park their horses for a while on council land, often tethered. They're generally in reasonable condition, and are moved on after a short while. It's not how I would keep a horse, but theirs is a different culture.

It's the racing plates which baffle me though.

5horses2dogsandacat

Generally on a hill.. when not blown off the side.
Visit site
Awful lot of assumptions going on here.....non of them correct !
I would leave well alone, horse has grass and is rugged, hardly sounds like a welfare case

well guess I live to learn.... just what Ive have taken on board over my short life.

I might as well make another assumption that what you say about it not being a welfare case .. water is an essential aid in living. This horse has no access to water therefore it will eventually die.. its blood cells with shrivel there will be a little plasma in the blood for it to flow, clots will form due to blood becoming sluggish and the heart will ultimately have to work a lot hard to pump the blood around the body. The brain will dehydrate, other parts of the body will fail to function and the horse will die a lot faster than if it didnt not have access to food.

Yes, yes there is water content in grass but not enough for an animal to survive.

I believe any domestic animal without the freedom to find its own food and water, or the basic care it needs from an owner is a case of neglect.

Last edited:

bonny

Visit site
well guess I live to learn.... just what Ive have taken on board over my short life.

I might as well make another assumption that what you say about it not being a welfare case .. water is an essential aid in living. This horse has no access to water therefore it will eventually die.. its blood cells with shrivel there will be a little plasma in the blood for it to flow, clots will form due to blood becoming sluggish and the heart will ultimately have to work a lot hard to pump the blood around the body. The brain will dehydrate, other parts of the body will fail to function and the horse will die a lot faster than if it didnt not have access to food.

Yes, yes there is water content in grass but not enough for an animal to survive.

I believe any domestic animal without the freedom to find its own food and water, or the basic care it needs from an owner is a case of neglect.

Bit melodramitic ! It's the middle of winter, here it's done nothing but rain for days and days. The rspca said it had water lying in the field and the OP said the horse was in reasonable condition. Hardly likely to drop down dead shortly .....