anyone near york?

Bossdog

Visit site
I know this is a bit O/T but just wondering which were the really nice villages around York, thinking of moving there (hubby in army, ugh) but have never been there!

Any advice appreciated

Love Jules x

pixie

Visit site
hmm, I used to live near York, but your best bet is to ask Blackhawk as she's recently been househunting in that area.

There are loads of very picturesque villages North of York that I've been through. I guess it depends on if you're wanting to rent or buy, and what your budget is
wink.gif

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
York is quite expensive, especially if you want land for horses as well. Property in the Calder valley (halifax) and some parts of south yorkshire are much cheaper. Depends on where you are working/commuting to, I guess

Tia

Visit site
There are loads of lovely villages around York. My parents live in one and I lived there for a short time in my youth. It really does depend on what you are looking for and how much money you have to invest in property as to what you will end up with. I really like Bishop Wilton but it may not be for others tastes. I also like Hutton-Le-Hole but it's a bit touristy in the summer months, as is Goathland.

Prices seemed quite reasonable the last time I was there (a couple of years ago) and it appeared that you got a decent house for your money. There are a number of properties with a bit of land (not much generally) perhaps 1-3 acres, certainly enough to keep 1 or 2 horses on though.

Good luck, I really like Yorkshire.

AtiraApps

Visit site
Well l live nr Driffield- about 1/2hr from York- and think around here is FAB !
There are many nice villages around & outside of York-not cheap- but there again where is?

Horseymum

Visit site
I'm just outside York on the Leeds side. There are loads of nice villages around here. It is very expensive in the "triangle" that is bounded by York, Leeds and Harrogate as obviously it is prime commuter belt. I am guessing that if your Husband is in the Army he will be either at Fulford or Strensall. Out Strensall way there is Sheriff Hutton which is really nice, just on the edge of the Howardian Hills, as are Bulmer, Terrington and other villages in that area. Strensall itself is strictly speaking a village but is very built up now. Fulford is on the south side of York and out that way there is Escrick (nice hacking/XCountry fences on the Escrick Estate!), Naburn (although this is picturesque it is on the River and floods) and a bit further out there is Skipwith and North Duffield which are pretty each with a duck pond. Hope you find what you are looking for.

wench

Visit site
I drive to work through Escrick etc on the A63/A19. There are some v nice villages between selby and york, and if you go to live on that side you have the bonus that you are near R+R!