Anyone out 24/7 yet?

ShadowHunter

Visit site
Todays the day that I've kicked the horses out 24/7. The grounds dried up remarkably well from the storm earlier in the week, so off they went into the summer field. After a run and a buck around they've settled down, scoffing the new grass.
I've actually had to put fly masks on today..

Anybody else out yet?

Goldenstar

Visit site
Two were out last night they where in for a few hours this morning to eat and sleep .
The other three will stay in a good while yet.

tonitot

Visit site
Mines been out 24/7 since July after being chucked away in a field for bad behaviour. I'll be moving her soon to bring her back into work and I'm hoping I can find somewhere here with 24/7 turnout through the summer so she can carry on living out.

PorkChop

Visit site
No, but only because mine don't go out full time, our fields have been dry for weeks and weeks, we have been riding in them! Quite rare for March :)

Dave's Mam

Visit site
Ours are out tonight for the first time & we will see how they are tomorrow. Our ground still isn't the best, but Dave has been ignoring hay for over a week now, so fingers crossed! Local nightime temp is only dropping to 3c & that was the daytime temp only a few weeks ago!

Equi

Visit site
Mine were never in thank god! My broody is in at night now.

Yard horse is still in but I'm hoping they go out mid April. I'm weaning down his haylage and he's getting half the meal too, he's come out of winter a bit too well lol

Jo1987

Visit site
Mine are out 24/7 all year round, I'm very pleased that the fields are drying out and hopefully it won't be long until the rugs can come off!

HashRouge

Visit site
Mine live out, it's been quite an easy winter for them as they've swapped an exposed Peak District hilltop for a sheltered southern field. I popped down to have a look at the summer fields today though, just to see what they look like. I'm not sure when they will move down as I haven't done a full year at this place yet, but the sheep are on at the moment so I imagine it will be a few weeks yet. The winter fields are in great nick though, so I don't mind either way. My share horse is still in, can't imagine she'll be out overnight before May as there's not much grass and they don't seem to have winter/ summer fields on her yard. I don't mind though, mucking out's not such a chore when you only do it twice a week!

Last edited:

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Retired and pony friend have been out for weeks, they are still in their winter field with access to the stable (they share) but I've not shut them in it for a while. They will be moving tomorrow to the summer field where a little track system awaits (exciting!)
The others I may keep in actually this year. I want them fit and just think it's easier to keep weight off and work them from the stable.
Although no mucking out is very appealing......

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
Todays the day that I've kicked the horses out 24/7. The grounds dried up remarkably well from the storm earlier in the week, so off they went into the summer field. After a run and a buck around they've settled down, scoffing the new grass.
I've actually had to put fly masks on today..

Anybody else out yet?

No we never do 24.7 as too many risks with lami and over weight a long with fields coping.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
Mine were never in thank god! My broody is in at night now.

Yard horse is still in but I'm hoping they go out mid April. I'm weaning down his haylage and he's getting half the meal too, he's come out of winter a bit too well lol

Dave's come out of winter a bit too well too. I fear the saddle fitter is going to burst laughing at him on Monday. He's not eaten hay in field or stable for too long now. Needs to be out.

be positive

Visit site
Some have been out all winter and have now stopped getting haylage, hoping to get the last few out fairly soon, most are now naked as they have done rather well this winter so could do with dropping a bit before the grass really pushes through.

Hipo

Visit site
Ours had a few nights out week before last, and have now been out 24/7 since last week. The fields are really dry now, but still putting hay out as there isn't a lot of grass yet.

Greylegs

Visit site
Nope ... and I don't think he will be out full time any time soon. My lad is hitting spring a bit on the porky side, unfortunately... not good for a highland!! .... after a winter on good grass and good forage. So he's going to be restricted for a while yet. Out during the day and in at night for another month or so, then swapping at some point depending on the weather and the grass. I've just moved him to a brilliant new yard where the YM is planning to turn out at 7.30pm and bring in early (7.00am ish) over the summer. The midges are ferocious at the moment as well ..... thank goodness for a good fly mask.

only_me

Visit site
Yep! although He lives out all year round lol. Moved from his winter field to his summer field couple of weeks ago as became too wet to get a bale in. He's happy and been naked for about 2 weeks now, loving life and spends a great deal of his time basking in the sun :p

17523188_10155255675229828_7925828406343047593_n_zps0idlfj6t.jpg

Queenbee

Visit site
Sadly I'm another one who's horse never goes out 24/7 - the beast is in at night all year round - not by personal choice, but for an easy life - we have long since worked out that the Beastly one being out at night is a recipe for disaster - he will trash his fencing every time, sometimes he doesn't even wait till dark but throws a paddy if its past his bringing in time. My YO had enough of mending the fence every morning and I had enough of the 5.30 am calls to say he had been a hooligan again. So now he spends his nights in. I he did however go naked over the weekend :D

meleeka

Visit site
Mine live out anyway but I've now changed from haying in the yard area to in the field as the ground has dried up. My oldie also went naked for the first time last night. The grass is growing already so need to get my track up this week.

Bertolie

Visit site
There is no 24/7 turnout at the yard im on. Have been there since September and love it. Horses like the routine and as my two are extremely good doers it helps with the weight issues.

Sophire

Visit site
Mine won't be going out 24/7 at all this year. I've tried for the last 2 years, but even putting hay out etc, she just doesn't hold the weight.