Anyone out there got a stable pet - goat/sheep?

filly190

Visit site
I have visited quite a few yards over the years and have seen some odd stable pets to keep the horses entertained.

Have you got a stable pet at your yard, if so what is it and how do the horses respond?

SSM

Visit site
We had Twinkle our pet sheep - used to get chased by pony - but he always got his own back - would chase my mother and knock her over!!!!!!!!!
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
She got her own back - put him in the freezer
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

threeponies

Visit site
I've got a goat, the horses get used to her. She has a wee paddock outside that she goes out into during the day, at night she has her 'stable'. I've found that if the horses spook at her when she's outside, if you call her name she bleats and the horses realise its just her and pass no bother.

Petrie

Visit site
I've heard of racehorses living with a goat/sheep/chicken in their box to keep them calm, and thought about doing it with mine, but was too scared! What if they hated each other and the goat got squashed?!

I also heard of someone who had a sheep as a companion for their horse. Apparently, the sheep used to get really stressed, baa like mad and run about the yard when the horse went out for a ride, but the horse wasn't remotely bothered about the sheep! Poor wee sheep.