Anyone read 'Reflections on Equestrian Art' Nuno Oliveira

cambrica

Visit site
Just received this book today and after the first few pages I know that as soon as I've finished I will be reading it all over again.
As I embark on a journey into the unknown for me 'Dressage' or in particular Classical Dressage as soon as I started reading this book I am filled with excitement and butterflies.
As one review put it 'At times there is too much wisdom to absorb at a glance'

maggiesmum

Visit site
Yes and I love it! That book reminded my why I refuse to strap mouths shut and use gadgets, there's a part I love where he says something like - people who drill their horses round and round in endless circles will never understand the art of riding.
I see people do that all the time and I completely understand what he means.

Mearas

Visit site
It is a truly wonderful book and will teach you more and more as you progress. I feel really excited for you starting your journey.
I am very very priveledged as my trainer was a student of his for three years.:)

aliby

Visit site
I haven't read it, but I'm interested. I've only been riding six months, but the place I am learning teaches Classical Equitation so Nuno Oliveira is like God. Do you think the book would be suitable for a real beginner, or would I be better waiting a bit?

cambrica

Visit site
I haven't read it, but I'm interested. I've only been riding six months, but the place I am learning teaches Classical Equitation so Nuno Oliveira is like God. Do you think the book would be suitable for a real beginner, or would I be better waiting a bit?

I think the sooner you read it the better. It must be better to start off with this kind of knowledge. Its not a large book, only 100 or so pages but so beautifully written. I have read many books from Mark Rashid to Monty Roberts etc but this is on another level entirely. Its on Amazon for £10 ish

TigerTail

Visit site

Its a brilliant read - you could also look at Heather Moffetts Enlightened Equitation book, she was a student of Nuno's and is all about classical dressage :)

http://www.enlightenedequitationshop.com/enlightened-equitation-188-p.asp

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Its a brilliant read - you could also look at Heather Moffetts Enlightened Equitation book, she was a student of Nuno's and is all about classical dressage :)

http://www.enlightenedequitationshop.com/enlightened-equitation-188-p.asp

No that is wrong TT. She trained with Cpt Desi Lorent who was a student of Nuno Oliviera. My teacher trained at the same time as she did. She may still train with other students of Nuno in Portugal too, namely Louis V Rodrigues and also trained with Dr Cox who wasn't a student of M Oliveira but studied classical equitation with the SRS.

As good as this book is, just remember Nuno Oliveira isn't the "father" of classical equitation. There are many excellent trainers whom have trained the same way as he did.

Last edited:

TwoStroke

Visit site
I love that book :)

I attended a clinic a couple of years ago with a student of Nuno; rode one of his classical luso schoolmasters - amazing experience!

aliby

Visit site
Thanks Cambrica and TigerTail. Looks like I'm off to amazon too (though I do have some vouchers to spend so don't feel too guilty).

you could also look at Heather Moffetts Enlightened Equitation book

thanks yes, I've got this. Also Sylvia Loch's 'Classical Seat' (already very well thumbed) and a couple by Susan McBane (trained with Desi Lorent). My horsey bookshelf is already filling up nicely :)

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Wonderful, insightful book. Not a riding manual as such, but certainly food for though for anyone interested in refining their thinking about horses and riding. Buy it!