Anyone remember Dyrham Stables from years ago???

mytwofriends

Visit site
Seeing as how there are quite a few nostalgia threads around at the moment, I was wondering whether anyone out there remembered riding at Dyrham Stables in the late 70's/early 80's when they were at Dyrham Park (they moved over to Hinton eventually) .... ?

They were beautiful, huge stables in a cobbled yard right at the back of Dyrham House, and we used to ride up into the park daily amongst the deer. It was a riding school at the time with only a handful of liveries, but not your average riding school .... the rides were fabulous and very fast, and there were some lovely horses and ponies there! I could name some of them to this day :)

Then the business grew and the YO's had a brand new livery yard built over in Hinton (which is now the Dressage yard under new ownership). I had a couple of horses at livery there, and we were still able to hack over to Dyrham Park, and around the neighbouring villages which, at the time, were tiny with almost no traffic.

Happy days! :)

rosie fronfelen

Visit site
i used to ride there most sundays, good way to sort out the hangover from the night before!! This was late 60s. i cant remenber the young lady's name who ran it but us as a gang loved it, a couple of pubs by there which were handy, especially the one on the main road just off the M4!! its a pity things change-

juliag

Visit site
I rode there a few times when my school put on rides there. Cant remember it much, seem to remember a few skinny TB type horses with either loose or no shoes at all. I remember a particulally poor chestnut who was lame on the road between the stables and the park. When I pointed this out I was told dont worry he will be fine when he gets on the grass. Which he was, he went like the wind. Sorry if my memories are not quite as good as yours, but I do remember having great fun, fabulous gallops and I did go back for more!!
Does anybody remember mrs Ridleys riding school at Englishcombe in Bath . I bought my first pony 'Dover' from her or montpelliers in weston, bath?

juliag

Visit site
;)widbrook was a riding school (still there today) and Arabian stud on the main road between Bradford on Avon and Trowbridge on the left just after the bridge. There was i seem to remember another riding school right opposite Widbrook but I cant remember what it was called.
And just outside of Bath at Midford was midford valley riding stables as well. This is showing my age now!

monkeybum13

Visit site
I keep my horse is Doynton and Dyrham Park really is beautiful. (Infact all the area is, I really like South Glos and the close proximity to Bath)
I love riding along the bridlepath which goes along the edge, next year we'll be looking into buying keys to ride around the park itself :)

ETA: the villages are still small with very little traffic ie Abson, Doynton, Dyrham, Hinton etc and if you cross over the A46 to West Littleton, Westend Town (sounds posh, it' about 3 farm houses ;) )

Last edited:

rosie fronfelen

Visit site
isnt there a RDA school on the Trowbridge road out of Bradford- a friend works there. Also i remember Midford valley, when i moved from The Shambles in Bradford, i movedto Limpley Stoke hill for a while.

monkeybum13

Visit site
Talking about white cat did any of you know Ann Lewis at Henfield?
That's where my mum, instructor and lots of their friends learnt to ride.

My mum also used to work with the son of the person who used to run Dyrham.

rosie fronfelen

Visit site
you are at a guess, probably about 10 years older than me by what you are saying...but i can remember the Pointers at Bathway..

iam 60 next month, at Bathway it was Ted Fisher and Judy Millar in those days, both dead now obviously- i loved the place. Pointers as in the surname, or point to point? they were NH horses, which moved yards from Devon to there and i moved up with them.

Last edited:

Countrygirl

Visit site
Oh my god - White Cat. I spent many hours then when I was shipped off to my grandparents for the school holidays, with pony in tow!!!
Paula was fabulous, I was also luck enough to have lessons with Jo Grace.
I remember Knobby, Copper and a gorgeous littel dun pony called Pepsi and Paula's dressage horse Micheal.
What happened to it? I always have a look when I am driving along the motorway.

miss_c

Visit site
Awww Mr Grace... He's still going! Saw him at Mrs Gough's funeral about 2 1/2 years ago now.

Knobby finally went in about 2005, he was ancient!

Paula sold, and it's being run as a livery yard until it's built on. Personally I wouldn't have my horse there, but there are horses on the yard.