Anyone remember Portland House Stables in Epsom?

charmaine

Visit site
As a few of you tonight remember attending Horsemans Sunday in Epsom back in sixties and seventies, is there anyone who remembers Portland House Stables, think it was Ashley road, Epsom. It was run by Ted Reilly. I had several horses at livery there back in 1970's , it was also a riding school, believe it's been converted into housing now sadly - love to hear from anyone who had a horse there in the seventies as I will almost certainly remember you.

airedale

Visit site
Didn't have a horse there but rode out from there many many times. Tack was sometimes tied up with baler twine and the muck heap in the middle of the yard got interesting at times.

One bay mare I used to hack out a lot was called Doris if I remember rightly about 15.2 lightweight cob.

Yes it's not housing and the racing yard next door, Caithness, is also housing.
All the racing yards on Treadwell road that you rode past up the bridle path are also now housing.

Happy days.

I attended HS from Drift Bridge in the 60s but it's not the same now - used to be getting on for 1000 horses but the diddicoys have caused problems in the last few years and so attendence is now down to about 100.

charmaine

Visit site
I remember the muck heap in middle of yard, yes you are right it did get interesting at times!! After moving one of my horses from Portland House I went next door to Caithness for a year. Didn't realise that was now gone too and all the racing yards I used to ride past. How very sad. I probably wouldn't recognise Epsom now, I live a long way away in Wales. I still have such fond memories of my childhood and adolescent days owning a horse there. Think you were riding from Portland earlier than I was there as I don't remember a horse called Doris. A lot of Ted's riding school horses when I was at livery there were named after Leeds United players ie. Bremner, Maidley etc. I often wonder what he did when he sold the yard.
The whole yard used to go to Horsemans Sunday every year, as you said, it was a huge event then, sad that it has been reduced in attendance now.
God they were happy days back then.