Anyone ride before work? & winter routines in general...

LauraBR

Visit site
Stupid clocks and stupid wintertime
frown.gif
mad.gif
frown.gif

Ned had day off yesterday so today was first day of riding in the dark after work. REALLY cold, sudden temp drop this week! Wasn't too bad, we have a few floodlights and he wasn't bothered about wearing an exercise rug so quite pleased.

But do wonder about riding before work. Currently I have to get to yard for 7am-7:30 as he gets upset if he's not turned out first. I muck out and get everything ready so I can just ride after work and then put him to bed.

If you ride before work how do you manage it?

teapot

Visit site
Can't answer for myself as have no horse

But I do know that my friend used to ride before coming into school as was too dark to afterwards. She used to get up, ride, feed and put pony out for the day. Go to school, then would do her stable when she got home

KatB

Visit site
I'm lazy and like my bed too much. I get up in morning, throw horse out and go straight to work. Then go straight from work to yard, ride then muck out whilst my boy is eating his dinner.

I do varying shifts though, so when I'm doing 10o'clock shifts, I will ride before work, then muck out after work as will finish work later in evening, so won't have chance to ride.

Do you not have an Indoor LZT?

LauraBR

Visit site
Had HUGE indoor last year but moved yards and swapped it for better grazing, outdoor, and xc course
crazy.gif

We do have a small indoor but not big enough to do much in, certainly not big enough to work him properly/jump etc, handy for lunging though.

Don't regret moving at all but do miss massive indoor!

ihatework

Visit site
Yes, I am at the moment but only because I have managed to negotiate 4 days working from home
grin.gif

So I'm riding around 7.30 and home with computer on before 9!

watcherathome

Visit site
Have a system with a couple of friends, we meet at the yard about 6.45, two ride for haf an hour while the third mucks out and gets beds ready for the evening..but we only have the energy to do it a couple of times a week. Most mornings now I just turn out, muck out and go to work
frown.gif

Looking forward to the weekends more than ever now

lisan

pets.webshots.com
I just get up extra early one weekday morning to get a quiet schooling session, so would give her Mon off, Tues Lunge, Wed ride before work, Thu school outdoor, or school indoor (weather dependent) Fri, finish work a bit earlier so grid/polework in the outdoor, Sat hack, sun compete!

cariadssogreat

Visit site
At this time of year I really start to lack enthusiasm for stuff in general!!! I have a late start at work in the morning - so if I have the energy I will hack out at 7, however I am finding that my bed is just too nice and warm. The horses live out anyway - so I dont have the usual yard chores - they get breakfast between 6.30-7.30am regardless.

eventingdiva

Visit site
I start riding at 6.30am atm, having fed and turned out mine.
Works really well for me, rode 6 today, and did 5 hrs work at 2 different yards, plus mine x

LauraBR

Visit site
oooh that sounds very much like my routine as it is... perhaps I should give the 1 morning a week a go and see how it works out.

Hows the ankle by the way- you back in action?

BBs

Visit site
Im riding before work, get to the yard just before 7, YO feeds the horses before i get there. I usually put 2 horses on the walker, and put the other two horses out. Muck out whilst horses are going round, then take one off and ride and put the other one out. I am lucky i am 2 minutes from work when im at the yard so now try and ride during lunch also. If not I can ride after work, or I ride two in the morning before work and go back at lunch time to finish off the yard.

I only have 2 at the moment to ride, however, this soon maybe changing!

RachelB

Visit site
I'm lucky as I can hack twice in the week (I'm off college two days, I work in the mornings but keep afternoons free in case I have two to ride), and of the other three days I give her one off and school twice after lectures (outdoor school but well floodlit, lights are free as well not on a meter). Weekends I hack one day and jump or compete the other.
One girl at the yard gets up at stupid o'clock to walk her dog, then comes over and mucks out, goes to work (full-time job), gets back to walk the dog, up the yard by 7/8pm, rides, then goes home usually at about 10pm ish. I don't know how she does it, I'd prefer that to riding early in the morning, but heck I don't complain about a lack of time any more now I know what she does every day!

katiejaye

Visit site
I don't have time to ride before work so I ride after work most days. I also moved yards a year ago from a yard with a big indoor to a much smaller yard with a smaller outdoor (with some floodlights). I have to say I haven't found the transition that difficult to the new routine. I bundle myself up in lots of warm layers after work, go up at the stables (most nights around 6-7pm) and ride in the outdoors come rain, snow or ice! A nice waterproof ex sheet normally does the trick! The pros of my new yard are so much more that I don't really mind the dark and cold! Of course some nights I do have to muster up all the enthusiasm I can to persuade myself to face the cold and dark
grin.gif

patchandloopy

Visit site
Im lucky and work shifts, but 3 days a week i work mornings so i get N turned out for me and provided im not working (i owrk at my yard) i ride him after work. The days i work afternoons, provided im not doing yard work i ride before work as i can stay untill about 10.30am.

flyingfeet

Visit site
I have negotiated 2 days where I go to work at 10am, rather than 9am.

I am hoping it will give me enough time to ride in the mornings (haven't tried it yet as both neds are off with a virus)

I am also getting lights put up, so hopefully shall do better at keeping them (and me) fit this winter.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
We have only managed two mornings in three weeks, as both sister and I work full time and I commute for about 3/4 of an hour to work. I can negotiate late start 9:30, but sister teaches so has to get there on time. We have no school so ride on road, therefore dependant on visibility, recently been awful fog/mist so when got up not been fit to ride. I'm on holiday this week so can ride during the day.

miamibear

Visit site
I do, i get up at 5.30am. down to stables for approx 6 sometimes a little earlier. Tie red up, do stable (on shavings so fast!) do haynets. Brush neddy and get on to ride at 6.30am. Ride for 3/4 of hour in school. Back in, put TO rugs on red and other horsie, feed brekkies and turn out. Back home for about 1/4 to 8. Shower changed and in work for 8.30am!

For the past 2 mornings it has been too cold to ride, this morning it was peeing it down so didnt ride. Im going to lunge tonight though need to get Red used to the flood lights and an exercise sheet and ive got the day off tomorrow so having a lesson. Back to it on friday riding again.

These light mornings wont last forever so make the most of them!!

xx

riotgirl

Visit site
I'm riding at the moment in the morning due to the lighter mornings. Will be stopping that once it gets dark again. Will then just be able to ride at the weekend as have no school or lights etc. Have to do the mucking out with the aid of a torch, and at the weekend I fill all the haynets so I don't have to do them in the dark.

muffinino

Visit site
I rode before work for the first time this morning as I have to stay in work until 5pm once a week (normally start 7.45, finish@3.45 or 4)- got to the yard@6.40, rode for 1/2 hr, finished by 7.50, in work for 8.25. Luckily work is 15 mins walk from where I live so drove home&walked in. Even had time to get muffins from Sainsburys! It was great, lovely pink sky, 2 other liveries to ride with&could actually see where I was going as it could only get lighter! I'm considering doing this until it gets too dark to ride in the morns.

PaddyMonty

Visit site
Fortuneatley my hours are very flexible so this time of year I just start earlier and finish at 1pm. Can then ride all winter in the daylight. Waking the horses up at 4.30am can be a bit tricky though.

racingdemon

www.facebook.com
i ride before work, get to the yard & 7.30, feed everyone i'm not riding, get who ever i'm riding in (everyone inc those clipped right out are out 24/7 - saves me HOURS and TBH i'm certain they are happier for it, haven't had them all look so well) Ride for about 40 mins, do over, rugs back on, feed & out, then i have some thing to eat & bomb to work for 9am (work is only 15mins away)

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
I've had years off, and pony is on 24/7 grazing up until sunday when I'll be moving him to a private yard. I'll be the only livery.
He can only go out when it's dry or the ground isnt boggy.
I have two children, one is only 2 so I can't take her to the yard AT ALL, as it's a working farm, so pretty lethal if she runs off!
My OH works night shifts 6pm-6am.
My new routine will be...down at yard when OH gets in at 6.30am (before the kids get up). Muck out, fill haynets, groom, turn out (if poss). Back for 7.30am, get kids up, do breakfasts etc, and schoolrun. If no turnout, back at midday (when OH gets up) and we'll walk pony out for a stretch of legs and to graze on verges/ or lunge him (he's unbroken). 3.30pm do schoolrun, OH will do tea whilst I take eldest down to bed down for the night at about 4pm.
Weekends will be much easier!!

Lill

Visit site
Don't go to yard in the mornings at the moment so get to yard at 6pm in the evenings to feed and ride in floodlit outdoor school. Although tonight i should be clipping Blue and there will be no one there in the morning to turn them (Blue and Monty) out for a couple of days this week and beginning of next week so i'll be there at 6.30am to muck out, feed and turn out then ride after work. (Holly is still living out 24/7 for another week or so till she gets clipped).

SouthWestWhippet

Visit site
I'm not riding at all at the moment so not really tried out my winter routine. Although getting up at 6:00 to ride before work sounds nicer than not being able to ride at all at the moment, I'm sure this will change when I actually START getting up at six to ride.

Anyway, I work some mornings at the yard so I'll probably just get there early enough to chuck the pony out for an hour and muck out. On my 'work in an office' mornings, I'll most likely try to ride before work cos I get flexi time so can start a bit later. I'm going to try to work my flexi so I can start/finish in a way that allows me to ride when it is light. We've no real T/O (just the schools and a fenced off 1/2acre of mud lol) so I'm going to try to ride twice a day when I can.

We've got a floodlit outdoor plus an indoor (although indoor is mostly used for lessons) so I'll make the most of that. And on Thursdays I have a girl do my horse for me because I teach until 8:30pm (start work in office at 7:30 then head to yard at 1:00ish for the afternoon's teaching). She's a great girl and doesn't have a horse of her own so it works out perfectly for us both.

Ugh, roll on Spring. Winter is going to be manic.

kick_On

Visit site
run!!!
i'm at yard from 6.30am - ride and lead, muckout and turn out. And i do mates' ggs twice a week aswell. Re-set beds and do everything so mate can bring them in at teatime.
In work for 9.30am latest and stay until 7pm then back out to yard if needed....

Winter is longer but hunting makes up for it
grin.gif
grin.gif

jellybaby

Visit site
Cowbag is retired, so its just a case of winter stable routine for me.
Alarm goes off at 6am, I drag my ass out of ebd to be in car for 6.25am and on yard for 6.40. Feed, fill haynet and do water buckets and semi muck out while cowbag is eatiing breakfast. Tie up and change rugs and brush off dry mud for legs and apply mud fever potions and pick out feet. Turn horse out then back to finish stable off properly and sweep my section of the yard. By about 7.05am I am done, back home for a cuppa, shower, straighten hair (washed the night before!!) get myself suited and booted and usually at my deak for 8.30pm.
Don't do evenings, YO brings in at 4pm but I dop go out to stables once a week to give a really good groom then off to the oub with horsey mates as otherwise I wouldn't see some of them from one week to the next!!

JB xx

Visit site
I get up at 5.30am, 6 miles to yard and with y/o feed and turn out, then we both muck out 3 each. I get home by 6.50am ish, scuttle round house, husband and 3 children, get 2 of children to school (OH takes other 1!) and then i get to work by 8.15am, work till 3pm, then pick children up from school, take 1 up yard to ride hers - walk work only at mo, but first we chase the light poo picking and then are riding by , then put horses to bed etc. Horses have 1 day or maybe 2 days off a week if commitments after school. 2 different horse from last year (only ever had 1 up to now!) so big learning curve. Thanks for reading all of yours - great to hear how others cope

PoppyPony

Visit site
When he starts coming in at nights I'll be up there for 6am, and on the days college starts late (tues and thurs) I'll be able to get a 30 min schooling session in, then back at the yard in the evening before work to ride and put him in bed.
I want Summer back
frown.gif

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
Last year my daughter and I made sure we rode weekends and just did two sessions during the week. This tended to be in the evening (we put some B&Q floodlights up). When our badly drained arena was underwater we did walk & trot work and even did some physio in hand exercises over poles (in one of the horse mags last year). Our horses are turned out for at least 10 hours per day, even in the winter.

Our girls seemed to stay fit and well (physicaly & mentally), in fact they seemed much more supple and flatwork improved so much my daughter has had to move out of prelim classes in our RC dressage league. I think the quality excersise is as important as quantity.