anyone ride in an american gag?

beaconhorse

Visit site
Been having problems with both brakes and him getting on his forehand just before a jump, then he stops ARRGHHH

I had tried all sorts including grid work, etc, different bits including pelham, that helped a lot with brakes but put him even more on his forehand

So spoke to someone on a bit stand at scope and she told me to try and american gag. I have only jumped in it twice but so far have been amazed at the difference. Not just with brakes but with him getting his rear end under more which means he can jump better too

So wondered if anyone else rode in one, and what you thought

druid

Visit site
I use one ocassionally - usualy for beach rides or the first hunt of the season. It's purely getting her head up and stopping her tanking off on me in my case....no finesse to it!

pixiebee

Visit site
never tried an american gag but ride mine in a dutch gag which works lovely for jumping as it really brings his bum under him and gets him nice and bouncy rather than long and flat. But id say if your bit is working for you, stick with it and dont worry what others say!

fjudge

Visit site
The american gag is very harsh in their mouth. My horse had one in for 2 rides (flat only) and the inside od her mouth has cut and become very tender. Luckily its not that bad and isnt effecting her in her snaffle, but be careful with it. Honestly not trying to warn you off it at all btw!!!

I do have to aggree with you, it was brilliant for skye, she wasnt on the forehand AT ALL, but i think i will just have to accept...my horse will always be slightly on the forehand!
frown.gif

x

VikkiBP

Visit site
There bum comes under them as they try to evade the severity of the bit in their mouths. This doesnt mean they are working correctly and round. I hate to sound like a party pooper but there is no substitute for schooling, I know a harsh bit is better in soft hands than a mild one in bad hands but please exhaust all other sources first before riding full time in such a strong bit as your horses mouth could be ruined for a long time ... and I speak from experience so i'm coming from a good place
smile.gif

pixiebee

Visit site
what i mean is that when my pony was in a french link, he was so srong he would plough along really fast with no brakes and trash any jump infront of him he was going so flat. Now in the gag i am able to control the speed resulting in a much shorter strided bouncy canter, so he now clears jumps easily and in control. He seems happy in the bit and doesnt fight my hand constantly which is what he did in the french link as i was having to pull so hard! He gets so excited at jumping that no amount of schooling will change that!!!!