Anyone ride out with their dog??

Visit site
Well I got to the top of the drive yesterday and found the dog chasing me. I couldn't be bothered to take him home so I lead him across the rode and we went up the beach for an hour.

I tried again today and I have to say Boris is a star, as Alf is only a pup he's all over the show, in front, behind , everywhere.

Anyone else do this? I have to say it's a great way to exercise horse and dog and it feels like you've got company on an otherwise boring hack.
grin.gif

Bri

Visit site
I used to take my Jack Russel out with me when I was at our yard with off-road hacking.
Tracks were hardly ever used except by people on our yard so didn't have to worry about upsetting other users.
Would never take her now...new horse hates dogs and bridleways at current yard are always full of horses/walkers/cyclists!!!
frown.gif

piaffe

Visit site
I used to take my rottie out with me but it was MOD land and very very quiet, no roads. He loved it.

I don't take my dog out with me where i am now as its mostly roads. we took him last night though, but i was on foot (kids riding) and we let him off when it was safe.

It winds me up seeing people out hacking on roads with their dogs. I think its irresponsible. the day before we went away, i was going up to the yard and there were two horses and a black lab lose. the woman had a whistle but the dog made no attempt to get in and she didn't bother to get off and i was waiting behind for ages. i thought it was very very rude and the stupid dog was all around my car.

seabiscuit

Visit site
Yes Tarka the black lab follows me everywhere. On the roads he tucks behind me, on the common he will go off and do his own thing, but always comes to call. Never had a dog like it before, just the way he was born, to be obedient!

MillionDollar

Visit site
Yeh i ride out with 4 of my dogs- mum, dad and their 2 children!!! lol. The 2 pups are only 14 weeks old, but started riding with me at 8 weeks old and they love every minute of it. Especially now as we've just finished harvesting the wheat and have 400 acres of stubble, lol. Great way to keep your dog fit, healthy and interested.
smile.gif

spike123

Visit site
I sometimes take the yard dogs out with me but only when I go off road.We have about 400 yards to go along a very quiet lane with good visibility before we can get onto a bridleway and private land we have access to.The dogs usually go for a dip in the canal up there and love to have a good run while we canter the mile long field and then back through the wooded bridleway. The dogs love to come along and often try to sneak out with us if they get a chance.Many a time I have had to take them back as I was planning a road ride much to their disgust.

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Took mine everywhere. She's gone deaf now so not possible except on a lead - not recommended unless both H&H well trained and even then.... Wonderful with horse, even better with hound as well. Happy days

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Take my JR if going round the fields, but not if going off private land. Used to take the lab everywhere at old yard, but she was very obedient and we only had to cross roads.

SouthWestWhippet

Visit site
I used to take my whippet out with me on long hacks mostly off road. At the time I kept my horse in a city centre (!) so I would ride up from the city farm to the main road then dismount and carry dog/lead horse across at the pedestrian crossing.

Across the road was a huge green belt that went on for miles... The council had put lots of natural obstacles down to prevent motorbikes roaring over it so there were lots of natural jumps etc. Wooded areas, ponds, hills... you name it. I would just ride and ride for miles and my whippet would go off hunting rabbits and then come back to join us. She loved a good gallop as well.

Funny that the best off road riding I've ever experienced was in the centre of Bristol! These days I keep my horses on the Somerset/Devon border and there is hardly any off road hacking so my dog has to wait at the yard for me.
frown.gif

mistymoo

Visit site
No but i wish i could, Poppy our border terrier is great as she will follow just at the side and is obedient but i would never forgive myself if anything happened to her on the road so i dare not chance it! one day when i live somewhere nice then i will!!!

Grey_Arab

Visit site
Yep, my dog comes out with me hacking, I have to lead him a croos the main road just outside the yard but after that he just follows behind the horses.

Puppy

Visit site
Yes Puppy always used to. Being an alsatian shes naturally obedient. We are usually on bridleways or deserted village back roads so little or no traffic. Shes getting a bit old for it now though
frown.gif

siennamiller

Visit site
I always take my jackrussell x with me. If we go on the road I get off and lead him, but most of our hacking is round the farm. He loves it, my horses look back like I do to make sure he is still with us.