Anyone tow with a volvo V90?

MrsNorris

Visit site
As title really, we're looking at getting a new car, the D5 AWD version looks good on paper, towing capacity of 2200kg, anyone had any experience of it? Thanks

applecart14

Visit site
Its the BHP you have to look out for. The one you are looking at has 200BHP so I think you will be fine!

My old car Peugeot 406 used to tow brilliantly except for long slow inclines when it really struggled. My current car which is a Vauxhall Vectra Elite has 160BHP so is fine, even on the long slow inclines, it eats up the road without a problem.

I have a lightweight trailer (Rice Richardson) and a single horse, so I am within my towing weight, which is another thing you will have to consider.

ROG

Visit site
With a B+E licence you should not have any issues as long as the actual weight being towed is not more than the vehicle towing capacity or the plated MAM of the trailer whichever is the lower

MrsNorris

Visit site
Thanks both, looking at a single trailer and a 550kg horse, so easily within the cars capability, passed my test years ago, so licence ok.

Was hoping for some feedback from someone who has towed with one as sometimes estate-type road cars don't seem to tow as well as proper 4x4s. Have never towed with this type of car before, so am curious.
Also, what are they like in muddy conditions? Can you get off-road tyres for them, I really have no clue!!

turnbuckle

Visit site
Haven't driven one, but they look to be large enough to be pretty stable. Power should be fine.

You should be able to get mud/snow tyres but proper knobblies will be quite unsuitable and ****** the on-road handling.

Ground clearance will be your enemy off-road. Grip likely to be fine, but if you are going to be on and off slithery grass a couple of light sand mats may be your friend! Clip-mount them on the side of the trailer for the true LRDG meets Pony Club look. Very cool!

MrsNorris

Visit site
Sand mats, what a good idea, thanks turnbuckle. Won't be going anywhere really rough, just slippery, muddy fields, so ground clearance will probably be OK as long as it doesn't chuck it down ALL summer!

mayangold

Visit site
my Dad used to tow me with the family volvo XC90 before I got my own transport. Seemed to do v. well, get heavy rice trailer out of mud. Couple of issues with backing it up to couple up with the auto handbrake making it lurch an inch or 2 after stopping which didnt help accuracy but that was it.

ibarnett01

New User
Visit site
Mrs. Norris, I'm considering buying a Volvo V90 or V60 Cross Country AWD for towing a trailer and horse. Did you end up buying an AWD Volvo V90? If yes, how has it been towing into and out of fields and on damp surfaces/ Thanks.

sport horse

Visit site
I have towed a big Ifor trailer with my Volvo XC90 and one horse or a mare and foal quite happily. Have only taken two horses very occasionally and only very locally. The XC40 claims to have a two ton towing capacity. Has anyone towed with one of these?

ibarnett01

New User
Visit site
Looks like the XC90 is rated up to 2.7 Tonnes so if switched to the XC40 at 2 Tonnes then I think you would notice quite a difference. I've towed a Bateson trailer and horse with 1.8Tonnes rated estate cars and that's fine but 2.7 would make life a lot easier, particularly uphill starts and stopping.