Anyone tried a Norton dressage girth? Cheaper alternatives to Fairfax needed pls!

PortuguesePony

Visit site
(Sorry not really sure if this is in the right place!)

Has anyone tried one of these dressage girths?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Norton-Sh...Horse_Wear_Equipment&var=&hash=item231d4e8417

I have a horse with a very forward girth groove and little wither, so looking for an "anatomical girth" like the Fairfax, but cheaper! :D (Unless anyone either has a 26" one they want to sell or knows somewhere I can get one uber cheap LOL!)
Needs to have good pressure distribution qualities and be suitable for a very sensitive horsey.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
(Sorry not really sure if this is in the right place!)

Has anyone tried one of these dressage girths?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Norton-Sh...Horse_Wear_Equipment&var=&hash=item231d4e8417

I have a horse with a very forward girth groove and little wither, so looking for an "anatomical girth" like the Fairfax, but cheaper! :D (Unless anyone either has a 26" one they want to sell or knows somewhere I can get one uber cheap LOL!)
Needs to have good pressure distribution qualities and be suitable for a very sensitive horsey.
Ugh! That's not a decent substitute for the Fairfax! But Prestige make an almost identical one (that has been available for a couple of years too), for about half the price.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Prestige make an almost identical version of the Fairfax for about half the price. Still expensive, but MUCH better than that thing (Norton neoprine thingy....).

PortuguesePony

Visit site
Ideal affinity girth, 90quid, beautiful quality and great for forward girth grooves!

Oooh, thanks KatB - I really like the look and sound of that one, just the sort of thing I'm after :D

It's now a toss up between that and the Mattes one ... depends which I can find at the best price to be honest :eek:

cptrayes

Visit site
The key with horses who really need an anatomic girth is to find one where the buckles are at an angle. Most girths have the buckles in a straight line and the girth is really just a straight strap shaped to wiggle forwards in the middle. If your horse really needs an anatomic girth you need one like this, where the buckles themselves don't point out straight if you lay the girth down, because the whole girth curves to fit the horse.

For a dressage girth, value for money, you can't beat these - English made out of very high quality leather:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ENGLISH-C...t=UK_Horse_Wear_Equipment&hash=item2578d9f3fc

Last edited:

PortuguesePony

Visit site
The key with horses who really need an anatomic girth is to find one where the buckles are at an angle. Most girths have the buckles in a straight line and the girth is really just a straight strap shaped to wiggle forwards in the middle. If your horse really needs an anatomic girth you need one like this, where the buckles themselves don't point out straight if you lay the girth down, because the whole girth curves to fit the horse.

For a dressage girth, value for money, you can't beat these - English made out of very high quality leather:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ENGLISH-C...t=UK_Horse_Wear_Equipment&hash=item2578d9f3fc

Sorry, I didn't see your earlier post. That (the buckle angle) isn't something that I had considered previously...

Is this what you use? Sell?

My saddle slips forwards towards my horse's shoulder and I have been advised (by my saddler) that a forward girth would help. I should add that EVERY saddle I have ever tried on him, both treed and treeless has also done this. His current saddle is a beautiful fit and he is a different horse in it but his conformation makes things difficult :-/ As soon as the saddle slips towards his neck and albeit only an inch at most, his movement feels "blocked" and he does not move forwards and through his shoulder, as freely :-(

cptrayes

Visit site
I use one of the Heritage and a Bates Cair which is also a true curve. I've nothing to gain from recommending them, they are great girths for £70.

I started using them for exactly the same reason as you, to stop saddles from slipping forwards.

I have a 34 inch I don't need, but I'm guessing that it will be far too long for you. PM me if not.

PortuguesePony

Visit site
I’m sorry that came out a bit wrong (!) I didn’t mean what’s in it for you to recommend them .. I meant do you have first hand experience/knowledge of how they work i.e. because you use them or sell them. Apologies.
The photo on eBay is tiny so it is difficult to get a clear picture of the design etc.

Reassuring that you bought them for the same problem (which I’m assuming this fixed!). And thank you but yes, sadly 34” is too big for us :-(

cptrayes

Visit site
The funny thing with them is that if you put them on a horse which needs one, it looks straight when it's on! If you use a girth which is "straight with a wiggle", then they tend to bite harder at the back edge than the front. These apply an even pressure right across. I won't use anything else on my boys now than a truly curved girth, and the Heritage is by far the cheapest for that quality. I also have an FSS/Treadstone but they are Asian and the one I have is rock hard and I don't use it.

I had one particular horse who I had to buy a Wow H girth for to finally stop his slipping problem, but he was a very difficult case. The others are great in the Heritage, but I use a Cair on my dressage horse because his saddle wobbles from side to side unless you fill the V in his chest with the airbag on the Cair.

The picture is much clearer in this listing. The design is great for tucking away your girth straps - easy and very neat.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HERITAGE-...t=UK_Horse_Wear_Equipment&hash=item2578d9f42e

Last edited:

PortuguesePony

Visit site
Well, I ordered one of the Heritage girths as above and it's just arrived ... it is a lovely quality girth and looks very well made :) Looking forward to trying out to tomorrow to see if it helps!