Anyone use a bitless bridle?

eventer28

Visit site
My new horse was imported from France and was apparantly ridden in a bitless bridle. I have tried riding him in various bits and he hates them (wont bend and throwns his head) or isn't used to them! He has had his teeth checked and all is fine. He rides great (soft and supple) in a hackamore but i dont like the look of them and I want to show this horse so he needs to go in a bit. I feel that I will have to treat him as an unbroken horse with regard to bitting, but just wondered if anyone rides in a bitless bridle?

Gwenneh

www.insanedressagegirl.com
I have. It worked very well with my little Arab! We happily did dressage and jumping in it; it looked better than the hackamore we used for schooling shows. She hated bits, too, and threw fits if I tried to ride her in any bit at all.

lorenababbit

Visit site
riding in a hackamore is quite an art. i learnt in the states where they are much more common and have used them with great success since. one of our eventers wears one now for showjumping and would for xc to if not such a speedy creature hard to turn and wear a nathe combination for that part as bendy rubber only thing will put up with in its gob!

Vicki1986

Visit site
Not sure if its just me, and i know this is a huge generalisation i am about to make (!!) but whenever i watch showjumping on TV - horses in hackamores dont seem to go very well at all, which i know probably isnt soley due to bitless choice but its just an observation x

jinglejoys

Visit site
I drive Blue in a Saddlechariot with a Bitless Bridle.She goes much better now she can see where she's going and isn't getting told off for having her tongue over the bit
wink.gif

cid_001e01c702cbb9e4e1707a1a8351you.jpg

claire1976

Visit site
Yes, but a rope bitless bridle - not a hackamore. Hackamore's can be very severe and are often misused to the point where they are crueler than having a bit in the mouth.