Anyone use an auto 4x4 off road?

hayinamanger

Visit site
Vehicle hunting, replacing our L200, going to see a Terrano and a swb Shogun, both are automatic. Me and OH have zero experience driving an auto, our concerns are re driving off road in muddy, steep ground, in a vehicle that has a mind of it's own.

We've had pick ups for over 25 years and OH would prefer to get another pick up, we do use the back all the time, but I don't like the fact that you need SO much room to manoeuvre with a horse trailer.

In an ideal world we'd have a pick up for the farm work and a swb towing vehicle, but that's not an option.

Any input would be great, thanks ☺️

Caol Ila

Visit site
Yes, have driven auto 4x4s for many years, including rather serious four-wheeling in the Utah desert and Colorado mountains, pulling a horse trailer through mud, as well as muddy and steep UK fields. They do perfectly fine and they all have the ability to be manually shifted into a low gear if you want. The Terrano and Shogun will both have a low box, so they should be able to do anything.

_HP_

Visit site
I have swb auto shogun and it is fab off-road. It has a tip tronic gearbox and so is easily flipped into manual when needed

_GG_

Visit site
Yes, have driven auto 4x4s for many years, including rather serious four-wheeling in the Utah desert and Colorado mountains, pulling a horse trailer through mud, as well as muddy and steep UK fields. They do perfectly fine and they all have the ability to be manually shifted into a low gear if you want. The Terrano and Shogun will both have a low box, so they should be able to do anything.

This, you have a low box and you can take much more control in most auto 4x4's so don't worry about it.

atlantis

equinetouchjo.wordpress.com
We had an auto terrano. Towed brilliantly on and off road and was great when we took it onto Holkham beach (officially, for a photo shoot). Never done any proper proper off roading but god I loved that car!!!

Greylegs

Visit site
I have swb auto shogun and it is fab off-road. It has a tip tronic gearbox and so is easily flipped into manual when needed

Me too. Mine's one of the "Four Work" type which is essentially a van, with 2 front seats and an open space at the back. Perfect for dogs, bags of feed, bales of hay and the like but no good if you ever need to transport 4 people (we use OH's car for that). It's also a mighty trailer puller, and it has pulled my trailer with chunky highland on board off many a muddy field in the past. Just put it in low auto gear and let the gear box take the strain. Brilliant vehicle ... trying to persuade OH we need a new one ...

_GG_

Visit site
One downside of auto is that you cannot rock a vehicle as easily if you are trying to get yourself loose.

One of many things. I'd personally not have another auto for offroad. I did have one, a 1989 Range Rover Vogue, but it was the 3.9 V8 that got me over hard obstacles and letting some air out of the tyres that helped me get through the really bad mud.

Whatever vehicle/transmission you choose, one of the most important decisions is the tyres you use. Do your research, figure out what your main uses will be and choose your tyres based on that. We have Insa Turbo Traction Tracks on the Disco and they have been amazing for off road use, but on road, they reduce economy and are noisy....sounds like you're on a runway about to take off if you have the windows open, lol....but they are BF Goodrich copies and £50 a corner fitted, so a huge bargain and we've had one set on that's done 60,000 miles and never skipped a beat, still with loads of life left. Tyre choice is key to off road success.

case895

Visit site
I have got my Disco 3 stuck on wet grass on a nearly flat field. The modern wider tyres sit on the top rather than cut through to the firmer ground underneath.

_GG_

Visit site
I have got my Disco 3 stuck on wet grass on a nearly flat field. The modern wider tyres sit on the top rather than cut through to the firmer ground underneath.

Yep. Letting a little air out is useful in this scenario...along with the correct tread for the terrain.

I also never go where it might be tricky without having my waffle boards in the back. They are invaluable :)

Aleka81

Visit site
One of many things. I'd personally not have another auto for offroad. I did have one, a 1989 Range Rover Vogue, but it was the 3.9 V8 that got me over hard obstacles and letting some air out of the tyres that helped me get through the really bad mud.

Whatever vehicle/transmission you choose, one of the most important decisions is the tyres you use. Do your research, figure out what your main uses will be and choose your tyres based on that. We have Insa Turbo Traction Tracks on the Disco and they have been amazing for off road use, but on road, they reduce economy and are noisy....sounds like you're on a runway about to take off if you have the windows open, lol....but they are BF Goodrich copies and £50 a corner fitted, so a huge bargain and we've had one set on that's done 60,000 miles and never skipped a beat, still with loads of life left. Tyre choice is key to off road success.

I have the SWB Shogun running on 18's and my tyres are over £200 a corner as they are too big and very few remoulds like the INSAs about which is a shame as I love all of the insas.. Brill tyres and remoulds are so much better than they used to be!

I love my auto shogun but for serious 4x4s with a good engine get a pre 98 trooper! That's what we have for our serious off roaders and they are immense once jacked up!

case895

Visit site
I just got the tractor out and use that on the fields now if there is any dampness at all. I have never even needed to use the diff locks on the tractor.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have the supercharged RR it's automatic its good off road better than I expected when I got it not as good as my old friend the defender 90 but pretty good .