Anyone use Homeopathy for their horses?

Keltic

Visit site
Ive started Katie on a homeopathy regime for her breathing (pollen allergies). She is on Mixed Pollens, Arundo and Ecchinaeca. Does anyone have any experience of these at all? Can you buy these in bulk? All i seem to be able to get is little tubes of them?

Coffee and hot buttered crumpets on offer!!

Dolcé

Visit site
Are you using the pills? I have always used these for all our animals BUT after the hens were attacked by a fox last year I took a couple of the injured ones to our local homoeopathic vet. I was given the spray bottles with a higher potency for animals, these work out much cheaper than the pills, are easier to dispense and more effective faster (hope that makes sense, I am half asleep I think). Might be worth having a ring round to see if you have a suitable vet close to you.

fatpiggy

Visit site
Yep, nothing to beat arnica for bumps and bites, and apis mel for lymphangitis and insect bites. I also use it for myself when the horseflies get me as I swell up like a balloon and it beats antihistamine into a cocked hat.

lazybee

Visit site
Homeopathy has been PROVEN not to work so many times. Apart from placebo effect. You'd be better off saving your money.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Yes I use it over 'medicine' and I actually sell drugs for a living... if only people knew the truth about some medicines ;) You'd think someone with a pharmacy degree wouldn't give homeopathy a second look... ask what your pharmacist uses??? You'll be quite surprised.

My friend is using mixed pollen and some others for her horses allergies and considering three vets considered him a lost cause (pts) for other stuff too, I'm quitely pleased he's still competing on homeopathy alone!

btw - you can't explain placebo effect on a subject that doesn't know that it has been rx'd something.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Helios sell in bulk.

As for it's not working, that's rather like the magnetic pads etc. But to paraphrase what various scientists have said about them "There's no science behind why it works but whilst I (or my animals) are experiencing good effects from it I shall carry on using it and bother those who say it doesn't work"

tallyho!

Visit site
Helios sell in bulk.

As for it's not working, that's rather like the magnetic pads etc. But to paraphrase what various scientists have said about them "There's no science behind why it works but whilst I (or my animals) are experiencing good effects from it I shall carry on using it and bother those who say it doesn't work"

Quite :)

Try Ainsworths too...

I wonder how many of the scpetics use Bach Rescue Remedy....:D:D:D:D:D

Lolo

Visit site
Now, magnetic rugs and the likes have been proven to work using real science. Homoeopathy, however, hasn't. Herbal remedies which have been proved to work are generally just called medicine and homoeopathy is NOT using herbal remedies! It's saying that water miraculously forgets all the poo it's ever had in it yet remembers that there once was a drop of some herb...

I'm a sceptic who attempted to use rescue remedy after some persuasion from my mum. It did nothing except leave a vaguely pleasant taste in my mouth- I find polo mints or port a far better way of achieving the same thing!

Smitty

Visit site
Yup on horses, dogs and me.

Silicea - Had a 7/8ths mare with very flat feet who was intermittently lame (she was 14). Spent hundreds at vets but nothing doing, gave her Silicea in a last ditch attempt to make her feet grow quicker (tried FF etc) and after 2 weeks she was sound. Stopped the tabs after 3 weeks and she went lame again. This went on for a while and I decided that whilst they were not improving her feet, they were keeping her sound so kept her on one a day for years and carried on using her.

The chap I have now has slight unsoundness and I notice a difference when I use them on him.

A few years ago my mini shetland was very very ill (I can't be sure but do wonder if it was mild grass sickness), spent £1,500ish at the vets and I am sure the homeopathic remedies I used on him when he came home saved him.

I have used Nat Mur when I feel a cold is on the way and that will see it off. However the times I have not done this I end up with a sinus infection, the last time 2 courses of antibiotics did no good so I used Kali Bich and good old Silicea! This got rid of it.

I had Pleurisy before Xmas and again antibiotics did not work so I used Bryonia to get rid of it.

My Cavalier had very bad arthritis and the vet told me to give him glucosomine. This made him quite poorly so I stopped that and gave him Rhus Tox. There was an almost immediate improvement.

All these are available in Boots, Holland & Barrett and on line.

I could go on and on but by now you are probably all sending the witch police squad round so I will stop.

In short, yes I feel it works.

I

juliette

Visit site
Ive started Katie on a homeopathy regime for her breathing (pollen allergies). She is on Mixed Pollens, Arundo and Ecchinaeca. Does anyone have any experience of these at all? Can you buy these in bulk? All i seem to be able to get is little tubes of them?

Coffee and hot buttered crumpets on offer!!

I'd be VERY interested to hear how you get on with these. My horse has COPD and pollen allergies, he is on herbs for it but he just started head shaking again today so i guess they aren't working as well as i hoped:(

I'd be really grateful if you'd keep me updated with how you are getting on with these treatments, do you have any info re quantities needed?

Thanks

Smitty

Visit site
I'm a sceptic who attempted to use rescue remedy after some persuasion from my mum. It did nothing except leave a vaguely pleasant taste in my mouth- I find polo mints or port a far better way of achieving the same thing!

Try Gelsemium;)

Also Ignatia is very good for bereavement and failed love affairs:eek::eek::eek:

Keltic

Visit site
I'd be VERY interested to hear how you get on with these. My horse has COPD and pollen allergies, he is on herbs for it but he just started head shaking again today so i guess they aren't working as well as i hoped:(

I'd be really grateful if you'd keep me updated with how you are getting on with these treatments, do you have any info re quantities needed?

Thanks

I will do, i give her 4 tablets of each one so fingers crossed eh? Ive spent thousands so far so im willing to give anything a go!

thatsmygirl

Visit site
SWEETITCH aid by equus health is fab and apart from sweetitch is the best fly repellant you will find.
I used thuja ( not sure on spelling) on my lads sarcoids and they both dropped off and never came back.

I rate it

smiggy

Visit site
Yawn... Good old Ben Goldacre, the worlds best shill doing what he does best!! :D:D:D:D

I wonder what he's getting from the barons these days...

:confused:not quite sure which Barons would be paying him to rubbish homeopathy, no one company has a vested interest in that

Would just rather trust decades of scientific research and evidence based medicine and clinical trials rather than one mad guy who "invented" potentiated water with no scientific rigour applied whatsoever.

its funny I can sit on my hands for parelli/barefoot crusaders and any other contoversial hho subject but cant resist a little homeopathy debate ;)

emmaln

Visit site
Smitty where do you get the info from? ie what one to use for what ailment? PM me if you prefer Thanks

Hi there, there is a fab book called "the treatment of horses by homeopathy" by George Macleod it's really detailed and a must have if you are planning on using homeopathy! Also a good place to buy your remedies is Www.naturalhorsesupplies.co.uk they sell the remedies in horse strength I'm fairly convinced I have also got them from hyperdrug before but I'm not sure! Good luck hope it helps!

tallyho!

Visit site
:confused:not quite sure which Barons would be paying him to rubbish homeopathy, no one company has a vested interest in that

Would just rather trust decades of scientific research and evidence based medicine and clinical trials rather than one mad guy who "invented" potentiated water with no scientific rigour applied whatsoever.

its funny I can sit on my hands for parelli/barefoot crusaders and any other contoversial hho subject but cant resist a little homeopathy debate ;)

Really? Can you be sure of that 100% smiggy? Would like to hear you splurt out what you really think about that.

I'm sure it will keep us amused a wee while longer :D

Oh go on....

ozpoz

Visit site
I have used homeopathy a lot over the years. It works, if you use the right remedy - why, how, I have no idea. BUT, bowed tendons disappeared with silicia, warts dropped off in 10 days with thuja ,calendula lotion on horrible lymphangitis....
I heard a homeopathic GP ( qualified after his mainstream medical training) say that in tests,which didn't conform to homeopathic practice anyway, homeopathy had only slightly better results than the placebo, which had a 40% improvement or cure and that in his opinion scientists should be investigating the placebo effect. I can see his point - a 40% cure rate , with no side effects, for very little cost is no bad thing!

smiggy

Visit site
Really? Can you be sure of that 100% smiggy? Would like to hear you splurt out what you really think about that.

I'm sure it will keep us amused a wee while longer :D

Oh go on....

Would love to oblige but not sure what bit you are asking if I am sure about :confused: and besides I never spurt in polite company:p

It is however beyond a doubt that homeopathy was invented by one german guy called Hahnemann in the 1820s based solely on an idea he had of treating like with like. In order to avoid poisoning his patients, he diluted the substance used. He then had the idea that the potency would be increased by diluting the substance and invented the c scale meaning one drop of stuff in 100drop of water, then diluting that by 100 and so on. In those days, the concept of atoms and molecules was just being discovered and as he had no idea about these, it was entirely reasonable for him to assume that infinite dilutions were possible. In fact modern science now tells us that at 12c there is only a 60 percent chance of having one molecule of active substance in the solution and that at 30c which is the dilution advised by Hahnemann, one would need to consume a volume of water equal to ten billion times the volume of the earth to stand a chance of getting one molecule of the active substance!
Modern homeopaths who advocate high potency dilutions have adopted the idea of water having a memory, there is not a shred of scientific evidence to support this and it is against all molecular principles
As far as the placebo effect goes, there are all manner of statistical and psychological reasons why that might exsist, as it has clearly been scientifically proven to
Does that help:D

lazybee

Visit site
Would love to oblige but not sure what bit you are asking if I am sure about :confused: and besides I never spurt in polite company:p

It is however beyond a doubt that homeopathy was invented by one german guy called Hahnemann in the 1820s based solely on an idea he had of treating like with like. In order to avoid poisoning his patients, he diluted the substance used. He then had the idea that the potency would be increased by diluting the substance and invented the c scale meaning one drop of stuff in 100drop of water, then diluting that by 100 and so on. In those days, the concept of atoms and molecules was just being discovered and as he had no idea about these, it was entirely reasonable for him to assume that infinite dilutions were possible. In fact modern science now tells us that at 12c there is only a 60 percent chance of having one molecule of active substance in the solution and that at 30c which is the dilution advised by Hahnemann, one would need to consume a volume of water equal to ten billion times the volume of the earth to stand a chance of getting one molecule of the active substance!
Modern homeopaths who advocate high potency dilutions have adopted the idea of water having a memory, there is not a shred of scientific evidence to support this and it is against all molecular principles
As far as the placebo effect goes, there are all manner of statistical and psychological reasons why that might exsist, as it has clearly been scientifically proven to
Does that help:D

Exactly. I couldn't be bothered to type all this. I was just being lazy by stating in doesn't work. Another thing, the various tablets are largely lactose based. If this lactose is 99.9999% pure (unlikely) it would still have 0.0001% of other stuff (dust, airborne particles,anything from the milking machine or paturisation process) in it Which is still higher than what they claim is in it. In the cases that are claimed to have been cured. It is proven that these are ailments that have healed naturally. Basically they just got better with no treatment. Many times a full chemical analysis has been done on Homeopathic so called medicines to find none of the stated ingredient.
A lot of people come out with the old line, I don't know how it works but it worked for me,my dog, my horse. The truth is they would have got better anyway. I will say it again It has been PROVEN not to work.

Smitty

Visit site
Keltic - If you google Meditrina Homeopathy for Animals they have a booklet you can download free. It was this free booklet in my tackshop and their remedies for £5.00 that started me using it 15 years ago - after spending hundreds and hundreds I figured wasting a fiver wouldn't hurt!

I tend to use this booklet for the horses/dogs and find it the best, but a few years ago Boots produced a free natural remedies booklet for humans with a homeopathic section in it (they stock most of the most common remedies) which I use for myself.

Nowadays I often Google as well, and if enough sites advise the same remedy I go with that!

I have to say though I do only use the Boots/Nelsons/Meditrina remedies - I got some off e-bay once and they made me feel a bit odd:eek::eek:

ozpoz

Visit site
Thanks Lazybee, but one of the important principles of homeopathy which you have left out is the practice - the aim of treating the person/animal as a whole entity, and the belief that the body aims to heal itself. Homeopathic medicine in designed to assist the natural healing process which is why mainstream testing which involves isolation of ingredient and cell may not throw up the true picture of how and why!
But my point is this - why do scientists talk of the placebo effect in such scathing terms? Maybe because there are no harmful side effects, no toxic residue, no years of expensive testing and erm, no profit to be made..... that's my guess.
Who cares if the desired result is brought around by psychological reasons?! Doesn't healing have to come from the mind in the first place? :)

Malibu_Stacy

Visit site
Which Big Pharma companies pay Ben Goldacre to represent them? :confused:

Because clearly anyone who cares about science, wants other people to understand it and not be taken in by pseudoscience will only do that if their paid by 'big pharma'. (the ultimate irony in that statement is who do you thinks owns/promotes/sells homeopathy stuff, its not small family run business started by Granma!)

But my point is this - why do scientists talk of the placebo effect in such scathing terms? Maybe because there are no harmful side effects, no toxic residue, no years of expensive testing and erm, no profit to be made..... that's my guess.
Who cares if the desired result is brought around by psychological reasons?! Doesn't healing have to come from the mind in the first place? :)

Because the placebo effect can make people feel better but it won't cure them. For the 'small' thinngs you may well ask 'whats the problem' but the issue is it promotes pseudoscience so people don't understand have evidence based medicine work and then try to apply the same flawed principles to more complex/life threatening illness. Its sad enough when an adult refuses treatment that could actually cure/prelong their life in favour of homeopathy etc, but its a tragedy when science illiterate parents reject treatment for their children in favour of quackery. For example (not homepathy but same principle as above):

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2011/02/08/Judge-says-injured-wrestler-cannot-go-home/UPI-32121297195708/
http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2011/02/07/1855888/judge-refuses-to-let-parents-of.html