Anyone use the Intelligent Worming programme?

mainpower

Visit site
I've just been having a look at their website, and can understand and agree with the policy of FECs to avoid unnecessary worming, but those of you who do use the programme, do you have the vet out for the ELISA tapeworm testing or do you just give an additional wormer for tape worming?

Ali2

Visit site
I've only done it once so far, I taped autumn and spring before the saliva test was available so hard to say. The FECs normally come back zero or very low so I'm expecting not to have a tape problem either and to be able to significantly reduce or stop tape worming. So I'm expecting that my only routine worming will be in winter for encysteds.

kiz456

New User
Visit site
Hi, I don't know whether this is any use but I have just renewed my horse with Intelligent Worming and had the option of doing the Equisal test as part of their plan. They give you the choice of the ELISA or wormers as well and explain the pro's and con's of each so you can choose.

Cowpony

Visit site
I'm on the IW programme and up until now they have just sent me a wormer for tapeworm at the appropriate time.

Just one word of caution if your horse is out in a herd. If the yard sets the worming dates and types of wormer you will be out of sync on the IW programme. I am coming to the end of my annual programme after several years, and very regretfully I am having to give it up as it is so hard to manage the yard`s requirements combined with wormers I may already have given or low counts I have had.

Ali2

Visit site
Quick update on the Equisal. Very easy to get the sample, no stress or hassle. I t my results back in around 3 working days. 2 no tapeworm, 1 borderline. So of the three only one (the newest to the herd) needs worming :)

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I've used IW for 5 years and my horse has never had anything but a low or no eggs seen worm count. This year his assessment at renewal was for twice yearly FEC and twice yearly wormer one for bots and tapeworm and one just for tapeworm. I wasn't offered the tapeworm test. I'm not sure if I will renew as IW want to charge £77 when it would cost around £40 for two FEC's and buying the wormers online.

kiz456

New User
Visit site
That's good to know re the Equisal test. I have added one in to my IW programme but can't do yet as too close to my last tapeworm wormer. Re comment above I know they charge £2.45 per month to manage the programme but to me it is worth it as it is one less thing I have to worry about.

HipoH

Visit site
Yes with IW very impressed with their service they send what is required when it is required. I have a very mixed herd of oldies through to youngsters, everyone is on a slightly different programme to suit their individual needs. Been using them for a good while now and gone from having high egg counts to everyone being clear. It just takes all the stress out of it what you need arrives when you need it and all you have to do is give it to the horse.

dianchi

Visit site
I got this free with my BEF entries for my homebred, i thought it ended up expensive when i came off the BEF option, the management fees and wormers arent cheap from them!
I prefer westgate now, and I can use this to go back to my YO and show I don't need to worm.
Will be trying the equisal this year too!

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
I use Westgate for the egg counts and buy the wormers locally (at our local chemist!). Westgate give you advice / planners etc. with their test results, so are fine if like me you only have a couple of ponies who are on the same management regime.

I used the equisal tapeworm test this spring, very easy to use apart from the 1/2hr without food (my cob was NOT happy, had to spend most of it grooming him to distract him). I had to buy it direct from the supplier as Westgate can't send the saliva test to Ireland, but wasn't very difficult or expensive.