Anyone used a rehoming centre?

mrussell

Visit site
Im trying to help a friend who has had some bad news. She put a horse on permanent loan in the summer due to losing her grazing.

Last night at 10 pm she had a phone call saying that they cant keep the horse now its winter.

We are all devastated as its too late to find him another home. He is half way up the country and is now lame thanks to him jumping out of the starvation paddock and breaking the post and rail on his stifle.

My only suggestion is that she tries to place him ina sanctuary but we dont know how this works.

Does anyone have any experience of this?

clipertyplop

Visit site
this type of story realy annoys me....people put there beloved horses out on loan in the good faith that they are going to be looked after and loved....all too often the people who have them on loan use and abuse the horses and then when they brake them they give them back without so much as a thank you or kiss my backside... makes me soooo angry.... i dont know what to suggest is he a old horse and is it a permanent injury

mrussell

Visit site
He has permanent mechanical lameness (a deformity that affects his gait but isnt pain-related) and was a rescue horse so isnt "easy" to handle but the people that took him were confident they could manage him. Nows hes stuck.

loopylis

wythallriders.proboards100.com
that sound slike my big chap he has a shunt in his leg which means he is constantly uneven but not lame and in no pain although he walks sometimes like a cripple lol i would go along the lines of getting a companion light hack home? plenty of places to advertise for free worth a try id say and best of luck x

B_2_B

Visit site
well, my only experience is the animal centre i volunteer at and i know the owner has gone to extreme lengths to either get horses away from neglectfull owners or give them a good home. We always check up on our loans (we always loan out never rehome as then they still belong to us technically) although it is hard as we have over 150! we have 6 permanent residents aswell. i think (at least hope) that all rehoming centres are as dedicated and willing as us and he should be fine but advertising as a companion is also good as lots of our loans are companions.

Noodlejaffa

www.ailsamactaggart.co.uk
Mm, I've just had a similar thing happen to me. My mare was out on permanent loan as a companion, but just had a call to say that they can't have her anymore as they're setting up a trekking centre.

She's 5 hours drive away so I'm trying to work out when I can go and pick her up.

I've fortunately managed to sort out livery near home as a temporary measure. Ho hum....