Anyone want to look at horse confo for me?

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I'm not any sort of expert, so won't offer!

But - sorry if stating the obvious - that all too often a photo doesn't convey the true way something actually looks in the flesh, it all depends on camera angle, light/shade, background etc. All of these can be deceptive!

I looked at a picture of what appeared to be a lovely little horse when I was looking. It looked fantastic from the picture on the ad!

Then I went to view it in person: OMFG it was truly horrendous. Think a full-up cobby 15-hander on the top half - on the legs of say a 13.2 pony down below. I wouldn't have believed the difference unless I'd seen it, such a shame.

Anyway, good luck!

Reactions: TPO

FlyingCircus

Visit site
I'm not any sort of expert, so won't offer!

But - sorry if stating the obvious - that all too often a photo doesn't convey the true way something actually looks in the flesh, it all depends on camera angle, light/shade, background etc. All of these can be deceptive!

I looked at a picture of what appeared to be a lovely little horse when I was looking. It looked fantastic from the picture on the ad!

Then I went to view it in person: OMFG it was truly horrendous. Think a full-up cobby 15-hander on the top half - on the legs of say a 13.2 pony down below. I wouldn't have believed the difference unless I'd seen it, such a shame.

Anyway, good luck!
Haha - thanks!! I know, it's a bit of a mine field isn't it! Been to see this one in passing already and really liked her but she does dish a fair bit so trying to see if her confo is poor in other ways I haven't spotted.

Still trying to reason with myself over the dishing. Shes a big youngster, Andalusian and with some (a fair bit!) Of weight to lose so thinking it could improve slightly with maturity, weight loss and strength.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
If you rate my opinion I'll take a look. No worries if not :)

HashRouge

Visit site
I might ask you to look at one for me tomorrow ycbm if that's okay? I just need to get a better side on picture. A bit worried about hind limb confo, all complicated by the fact that I've already met and fallen in love with the horse! I would really trust your judgement.

ycbm

Visit site
No problem. Honoured that people think my opinion is with having, to be honest. Thank you.

J&S

Visit site
I have read that the Spanish horses do tend to dish so this may not be a problem.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I can, but could only assess it on correct conformation and have to admit I would not know what a good example of a Spanish horse actually is. Anything but a very near straight moving horse would not be favourable to me.

Mucking out - still

Visit site
I don't consider myself an expert Spanish conformation, but I do have one and have an ndertanding of what it should be like - happy to look, if you'd like. Iberians are inclined to dish - suppose it depends on what you want to do together.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
a lot depends on how she dishes-ie if its from the knee or further down. Hind limbs tend to be a bit straighter than non-Iberians but with a slightly different angle to the pelvis too. I've owned Luistanos, one of which dished and one that didn't-happy to have a look although far from an expert. much depends on what you want to do with her.

ycbm

Visit site
Iberians in the past were deliberately bred to dish because it was thought to look smart (I think for the bullring?). It used to be difficult to find one which didn't!

TheMule

Visit site
If she dishes the best thing to do is slo-mo video her from the front at walk and trot to check that the foot placement is level- generally it is in nice Iberian horses and therefore there's no issue

ycbm

Visit site
If she dishes the best thing to do is slo-mo video her from the front at walk and trot to check that the foot placement is level- generally it is in nice Iberian horses and therefore there's no issue

I've read the same, that as long as the foot hits the ground at the same time with both heels, it's not considered an issue.

Mine does it a bit but I'm hoping he will grow out of it with more strength.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Iberians in the past were deliberately bred to dish because it was thought to look smart (I think for the bullring?). It used to be difficult to find one which didn't!

depending on who you read, the PREs were bred to dish for parades as bullfighting was banned in Spain so they become something of a parade horse instead and it looks flashy. The PSL remained a bullfighting horse-smaller, more compact and less flashy. It all depends on the lines of course, the stud book was only split in the 70s.

FlyingCircus

Visit site
Thanks everyone - the Andalusian is a no go.

Do have a couple of others I'm keen on, but they're some distance away so waiting on some vids first!