Anyone watching Crufts on more 4?

muddygreymare

Visit site
I am :) I particularly liked the Akita too, was a lovely example of the breed :) I was watching it with Harvey (our Cavalier King Charles Spaniel) but he got too excited and kept barking at the telly so now I'm watching it alone in my bedroom instead where it's a bit 'quieter' :p:D

ETA There's a dog on there now that they're 'interviewing' with the same name as me (Nell) :D

Last edited:

ladyt25

Visit site
I was watching but am now watching Location Location! lol. I am recording it though as wanted to see the agility if it's on. Can someone explain though what exactly is a 'utility' group?? I have always wondered and why on earth did a Lhaso Apso (spl??) win?? I liked the dalmation myself and i even thought the Shar Pei was nice - not so much horrid baggy skin round its face!

mollichop

Visit site
Lol BC it was true to type at least!

I love watching it with the dogs on the sofa - they were glaring at the telly earlier but are too busy snoring now to pass comment :-D

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I laughed at the husky too BC, with a bit of luck it will put people off having one.:p
I thought the shar pei was a far nicer looking dog than some of the ones you see winning with excessive wrinkles, bet the breed judge was relieved to see that one in the ring.
ladyt "utility" group is really just all the breeds that don't fit into the other groups, e.g. working, terrier etc.

Vizslak

Visit site
Well its the issue in these high profile breeds that it appears to have become acceptable, hence the new independant vet checks.

Inthemud

Visit site
Felt a bit sorry for the pug. Looked laboured and had to be dragged along. Seemed pretty fat too.

Loved the Pomerainian (sp?), though. Really joyful little dog.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
While we're on the subject of the KC I am filling out Dax's activity register form, any suggestions for an alternative name if my first choice isn't accepted?

First choice is Enterprise Dax, as we iz Enterprise Siberian huskies, innit. :p

Princecharming

Visit site
Just to put this right before it gets out of hand. I had my Bulldog yearling at Crufts today. And the BOB is a bitch called Ch Mellowmood one in a million aka Jenny. Jenny holds 23 CC's she is one fit and healthy Bulldog, she makes no noise breathing even in the hottest weather whilst being moved and moved, she moves with ease, has no conformation issues at all, hence the reason that many many champ judges have awarded her BOB per and over and over. Today a vet shined a torch in one of Jenny's eyes and saw a slight flaw, dispite Jenny passing many vigorous heath checks in the past. Of Late we have struggled to fight our corner against peo
Le who do not wish to learn, my Bully lives at the stables, running, jumping (even over show jumps) he comes to events with me, I never have any health issues with him whatsoever. If a Bulldog is bred right it is bred right, like any other animal or breed the bad breeders give us a bad name hence the "high profile breed" we feel that whichever bulldog had won BOB today would not have gone through because we are getting such a raw deal. If any of you wish on Facebook there is a group against pedigree breed bashing, on there you can access many photo's and video's of fit and healthy show bulldogs running, swimming, jumping like any other dog.

Please do not judge our lovely breed until you have studied it.

BBH

Visit site
Totally agree PC.

There are Bulldogs and there are Bulldogs and some are freaks but not all.

I lost my Bulldog last January and up until that point he was fitter and more active than my bullmastiffs. He had no breathing issues and a defined length of nose, no cherry eye etc issues whatsoever.

Like any breed , if you buy and breed quality of any species you can't go wrong.

Bulldogs are such a fantastic breed and i would recommend them to anyone and lets be fair a vet was always going to make an extra special effort for a Bulldog given the highlights of last year over the breed.

As for last night loved the Frenchie and puglet but cannot for the life of me see the attraction in these long haired froo froo types.

ladyt25

Visit site
Sorry to be ignorant but what was that bulldog that was in the utility group? I missed them say what it was - could see there was a french one but the other was sandy with black points?

Oh and MM - thanks for clearing that up. I had previously decided that must be the reason for the group as they don't have a specific 'job' as it were.

Onyxia

Visit site
While we're on the subject of the KC I am filling out Dax's activity register form, any suggestions for an alternative name if my first choice isn't accepted?

First choice is Enterprise Dax, as we iz Enterprise Siberian huskies, innit. :p

NCC 1701 Dax :p

Add a Curzon or Jadzia in there.

Cat is cuddled up snoring despite all the barking, yet if ONE cat pipes up on the TV and he spends 3 hours hissing :D

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
No numbers allowed. :(

Not going to register Ricoh but his name would be Enterprise Starship Trooper. If you know why, you're a massive geek. :p

How fat is that yellow lab?! A huge contrast to the dog they showed in the gundog demo earlier.

Spudlet

Visit site
The size of that Lab! I'm so used to seeing working ones round here, that show type one shocked me, frankly. :(

Onyxia

Visit site
No numbers allowed. :(

Not going to register Ricoh but his name would be Enterprise Starship Trooper. If you know why, you're a massive geek. :p
The numbers rule sucks :( that was a perfectly good idea :p

And clearly Ricoh knows the difference between a civilian and a citizen-very useful if he ever does the KC good citizen awards :D

How fat is that yellow lab?! A huge contrast to the dog they showed in the gundog demo earlier.
I have come to the conclusion that fit labs are a myth :p (working homes excluded and tounge firmly in cheek ;) )

Spudlet

Visit site
More4 :)

I think if we're going to have vets checking dogs, obese dogs should also be eliminated. That lab was huge. Where was the muscle definition? How would that dog manage a days work?

MurphysMinder

Visit site
The Weim BOB was on yes, you missed him MollyMo. Who do we fancy for the group, I like the English Pointer, which probably means he has no chance

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
More4 :)

I think if we're going to have vets checking dogs, obese dogs should also be eliminated. That lab was huge. Where was the muscle definition? How would that dog manage a days work?

but isnt it just another case of the difference between the showing (bench) lines and the working (field) lines.

Show labs are much much thicker set than their working brothers. You will probably find that for it's size and bone structure that the lab in the Group judging isnt as fat as he looks.
It is the same for cockers and springers.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
OH thinks he was named after the Japanese electronics company he works for, secretly I know the h is superfluous. LOL @ good citizen award. :D

That actually has a nice ring to it, I might steal it for Dax. Starship Trooper Dax? We could have a theme toon and everything. :p

[youtube]B2Tkx6BgRFE[/youtube]