Anyone who has bred a foal.....

a1b2c3

Visit site
Is it nornal to get pockets of fluid on the shoulder area when close to foaling?

My friends mare is in foal, and was when she got her, the only problem is the only candidate for the daddy is a 2 and a half year old colt who has been running with the herd since he was one. So we have no idea when she will foal, and she has had one vet say it could be early dec, and another saying late jan?!!

Yesterday she looked like a barrel, but seems to have changed shape overnight, and looks like she is carrying the weight much lower, and she has developed two large pockets of fluid on each shoulder. is this normal?
confused.gif

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Mmm - haven't seen fluid pockets specifically on the shoulders. It is quite common to get oedema in mares close to foaling (or up to 6 weeks before) but it's usually along the lower belly line and near the udder. IF there IS oedema along the belly line that hasn't been spotted because she's got such a big tum, then it COULD spread to the shoulder area. If there has been a sudden, marked change of shape, that would suggest she'll be foaling sooner rather than later. Does she have much udder?

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Ah - that does sound like a 'normal' oedema then. If she doesn't have much udder development but is waxing up, that's a bit of a concern - although some mares don't let down their milk until right before or even after foaling. Others will be squirting milk before they foal.

Waxing up doesn't USUALLY occur until about a week (at most) before foaling - although there are exceptions - and some don't wax up at all. The most reliable signs of imminent foaling are the slackening off of the muscles on either side of the croup - near the tail, and the appearance of the vulva which will appear slacker, perhaps a little open and also elongated. Again though, the time scale from the appearance of these signs varies from mare to mare - depending perhaps on how many foals they've had, their body condition, the size of the foal - or whether they have a sense of humour and want to worry you! I've had mares look terribly imminent, which have kept me waiting a further fortnight - and others who look at LEAST a week off, who've proved me wrong!

a1b2c3

Visit site
yes, her vulva was as you described tonight as we brought her in!

We bandaged her tail up, just in case, so its one less thing to worry about, and the farmer is going to keep an eye on her and call if anything happens.

thanks so much for all the info
smile.gif

amandaco2

Visit site
my mare didnt
they can get oedema on the ventral line(along middle of underneath of the belly) and stock up around the lower legs though.never heard of on the actual shoulder though-sounds more liek swelling froma kick to me.
some mares can do get if there is a problem so if shes acting unwell i would consult a vet.

S_N

Visit site
I can't better JG's advice.

Although, instead of leaving her with a bandaged tail, just plait the tail from the dock down, then when she does foal, just lift the the plait up the outside of the dock and whack a bandage on over the whole lot - that's if you feel the need to bandage - I always do.

a1b2c3

Visit site
Hmmm, thats a good idea SN, but the chances are we may not see her foal, so then should we just plait it and leave it down in a plait? or keep on bandaging at night?

amandaco2

Visit site
my mare got quite upset when i plaited her tail, so just make sure shes ok with it(mine used to swish her tail as baby kicked about and very much disliked having the heavy plait whack her belly and she started to throw a wobbler and bronc around swishing her tail even harder
i was there for the birth though-had been with her every night for a week so i should darned well hope so!lol, and i did just leave her without a bandage as i didnt want to disturb her.
tsh mares eh?!