Anyone's horse kicked a person and been sued

happyhack

Visit site
my mate was selling her horse the girl fell off and tried to sue-she didnt go to the hospital until 3 days after she tried him so basically she got laughed at!!

filly190

Visit site
They got £3.5k for a broken toe! The public liability of our house contents insurance (Direct Line) took the case on, and paid out - would you believe.

ljm

Visit site
I got kicked at a show 2 1/2 years ago and seriously wish I had taken details and sued. Horse wasnt wearing a red ribbon and RAN backwards whilst I was leading my horse (and yes I had left plenty of distance anyway). It kicked me in the leg, luckily in side of thigh where there was plenty of muscle. This horse could have done a lot more damage and all the woman said was 'oh hes never done that before, he might have been trying to get your horse'. Most unhelpful. This injury still hurts if I ride a lot (quite often when theres 2 to be exercised). L

Kristine

Visit site
my mare got loose at a show whilst trying to box her, she ran straight to the ring which her friend was in and someone tried to catch as they did she kicked them in the hip
Person understood she was young and we offered to take her down to the hospital but she said she was ok

Stasha22

Visit site
I had someone try a mare that I was selling a few years ago.

Her riding was terrible and I asked her in the nicest possible way to get off my horse. She refused to and to cut a long story short, fell off and broke her leg.

She threatened to sue me but as I had told her to get off (and had witnesses to this) she didn't have a leg to stand on (quite literally!).

burtie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
They got £3.5k for a broken toe! The public liability of our house contents insurance (Direct Line) took the case on, and paid out - would you believe.

[/ QUOTE ]

How annoying, as my friend found out when someone threatened to sue her over her horses kicking (totally NOT the horses fault), the insurance company often decide just to pay out even if clearly not the fault of the horse, she was also advised that after that they would never be able to take the horse out in public or at shows because if it kicked again it would be already a 'known' kicker. Luckily the case was never persued and was drooped. But I do wonder some times about the point of public liability insurance.
mad.gif

Mid

www.just-dreaming.webs.com
A girl at a livery up the road from where I ride got kicked by her OWN horse and sued the yard owners 200 thousand pounds. Admittedly, she did get kicked in the head, but she's allright now, and the livery is pretty much bankrupt.

burtie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I had someone try a mare that I was selling a few years ago.

Her riding was terrible and I asked her in the nicest possible way to get off my horse. She refused to and to cut a long story short, fell off and broke her leg.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had something similar when selling a mare as not suitable for nervous or novice riders once, the person got on and proceeded to pony club kick the horse, who immediatley pissed off and dunped them, he hurt his back and was off work for months, they murmered about sueing, luckily it was never persued.
crazy.gif

ljm

Visit site
Quote: my mare got loose at a show whilst trying to box her, she ran straight to the ring which her friend was in and someone tried to catch as they did she kicked them in the hip
Person understood she was young and we offered to take her down to the hospital but she said she was ok

Now if my incident had happened like this I would understand but as it was the woman was holding the horse having a chat, not paying attention.L

Stasha22

Visit site
It is infuriating isn't it? I was totally honest about what my mare was like, both in the advert and when she came to try her. She told me she was a very experienced rider etc but to be honest I don't think she could have sat on a horse more than 3 times!

And then to blame me when she came off even though I told her to get off more than once!

Really pi**ed me off to say the least and thoroughly upset my horse.

Rant over!!!!

JessPickle

Visit site
A girl at my yard was kicked by pickle while catching him while I was not around. She said he just randomly turned around and kicked (which isnt pickle at all he is a donkey to catch and lead!) she went to hospital and when the hospital told her there was nothing wrong she borrowed her nans crutches to make it seem like she was more injured then talked about it non stop to new people etc. A few months later it came out she had smacked him hard with a leadrope just before she got kicked he had turned around ran off bucked and just tapped her as he went

that really bugged me for months she gave pickle a reputation he didnt deserve

Sparklet

Visit site
A young mare was been ridden by one of the liveries at the yard I had my horse at. A lad on a huge hunter cantered up behind her and the horse struck out in fear and broke his leg.

He had just started a joinery apprentiship and had to give it up because he couldnt do the work and he/his mum decided to sue the rider of the mare.

To be fair it was his fault for cantering up behind the young mare and getting close enough for her to kick him, however the courts didnt see it that way and awarded him several thousand pounds. When it comes to horses unfortunatly the judgements are made by people who know very little about the nature of horses which is why the judgements are so poor a lot of the time.

pottamus

Visit site
All this sueing business does my head in!!!What is it with the world today...accidents happen...end of! Horses will be horses and yes...they are unpredictable and do kick...and bite, rear, buck etc etc etc.
My horse does kick and I accept that and he wears a HUGE red ribbon in his tail wherever he goes...but that does not seem to stop other people around me being irresponsible and charging up his back end etc! Would they sue me then when he kicked even though he had a red ribbon...probably!

filly190

Visit site
Thats an interesting point, if you are wearing a red ribbon, which tells all to beware, how would you stand if your horse kicked.

Sparklet

Visit site
Completely agree with you.......people forget they are unpredictable and dont seem to follow the basic rules when around horses. Sadly the courts seem to know virtually nothing about horses and seem to view their actions in the same way they do dog attacks.

My horse has been known to lash out in fear (not at people but at other horses) yet there is still some stupid bl@@dy woman who insists on walking behind her with her daughters gelding (who often clatters when he sees a deadly wheelbarrow) which frightens my horse and I worry she could lash out. All she has to do is ask me to move her quarters over but does she??? No, she just walks briskly past. I have told her countless times not to do it but she just ignores me.

If my horse kicked you can bet she would take it further (single parent teacher so needs the wage) and the courts would agree.

ljm

Visit site
I completely agree that accidents happen and at the end of the day we will never stop that. I just feel that sometimes people are irresponsible. This pony was clearly an established kicker to run backwards like it did. My horses dont kick but still wear a red ribbon at places like Pony Club as I don't like people running into the back of them and frightening them! L

GTs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
my mare got loose at a show whilst trying to box her, she ran straight to the ring which her friend was in and someone tried to catch as they did she kicked them in the hip. Person understood she was young and we offered to take her down to the hospital but she said she was ok

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally think this person was incapable of handling the situation and put themselves in harms way - hard luck I say.

missshell

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
A girl at a livery up the road from where I ride got kicked by her OWN horse and sued the yard owners 200 thousand pounds. Admittedly, she did get kicked in the head, but she's allright now, and the livery is pretty much bankrupt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why on earth did she sue the YO when it was her own horse?
confused.gif

Also how did she win? How is it the YO fault?
I sometimes think the world is going mad!!

Sparklet

Visit site
Oh I dont think my statement applies to all cases and there are situations when people can prevent accidents as in your case - I do by making sure people know what my horse might kick and staying where I can control her.

Yet you will still get people who trot briskly past inches from her back end at a show when she is tied outside the lorry. Arent we all told when we first start playing with horses that you dont go near their back end?

burtie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
How on earth can you successfully sue from getting kicked by your own horse?????

[/ QUOTE ]

A recent case in H and H higlighed a young girl I think 13 at the time who got kicked in the head by her own pony and succesfully sued the YO for 2.1 million in damages. If you search there are a couple of threads on here about it.

Mid

www.just-dreaming.webs.com
"Why on earth did she sue the YO when it was her own horse?"

I think it's because they didn't have warning signs or something up o_o It was a private livery though, and I didn't realise they had to!

tormor

Visit site
I got kicked over a year ago when i was hacking out with another horse. (horse went to kick my horse and got me) I didn't sue but after 10 months of physio and over a year hospital appointments, i'm left with a huge scar and 50% muscle damage. Sometimes i wish i had.

JessPickle

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
"Why on earth did she sue the YO when it was her own horse?"

I think it's because they didn't have warning signs or something up o_o It was a private livery though, and I didn't realise they had to!

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was because her horse was in a field with YO's horses they galloped at her as she was leading horse her horse went to kick the other horses and got her. Thats what i was told. they sued the Yo because it was her horses being aggressive or something stupid like that