ANYONES LIVERY YARD HIKING UP THEIR PRICES

rocketdog69

Visit site
Had a bit of a shock today. I went to pay my livery fees and was told that from 01 Jan 2009 my monthly fee would be rising from £260 to £300 per month.

I rent a paddock of about 4 and half acres on a farm where also have 3 stables.

The farm owner does nothing in the way of maintenance at all, as far as he is concerned I rent the land and I have to look after it which means the fencing is my responsibility as is all other maintenance. Once this year my paddock has been topped and thats it.

The reason for this price rise was "my costs are rising"

Has this happened to anyone else recently, also what would you expect to pay for what I have.

Thanks

Tia

Visit site
Perhaps you can bring the price down by paying a year upfront, as is very often usual when renting whole fields? That is extortionate though - that's £800 per acre per annum!
crazy.gif
You should be able to rent that whole field for around £800 per year.

LOZHUG

Visit site
Our livery has gone up £5 per week which may not sound a lot but it will soon add up when straw, hay, feed has gone up which they have already. I was shocked at the cost of a bag of feed the other day compared to when I last bought one before the summer.

Bosworth

www.ballhillequestrian.co.uk
Well if you imagine - feed has gone up from £6.95 a bag last year to £9.50 a bag, my fertiliser has gone up from £300 a year for my 32 acres to £1010. My contractors have gone up from £17.50 an hour to £22 an hour My diesel for my tractor has gone up, my hay prices have gone up. So actually - I need to increase my prices dramatically to stand still. I haven't but I may have to increase livery costs by £5 a week for my liveries and still absorb some of the cost increases.

kit279

Visit site
That's a lot of money - I have the same as you, 4 acres of grazing and 3 stables, right by Cambridge and I pay 100 pounds a month.

rocketdog69

Visit site
I can fully understand why you are putting your prices up but my farmer doesnt touch my paddocks at all.

last year I was resting one half and when it had grown so much i asked him to take hay off it for me. He grumbled a bit but a couple of weeks later took the hay off as requested. When I asked him how much he wanted for making the hay for me he said "Why, its not yours, you only rent the field"

Trouble is, livery is at a premium round here and i have got the best hacking for miles. so I';m stuck between a rock and a hard place and livery owners know it!

My friend is at a yard where its "all in". Her livery owner has just told them they will all have to buy there own straw this year and there will also not be enough hay for them. There wont be any reduction in their rent though!

Archangel

Visit site
I pay £300 for virtually the same set up Cecildog but this is in Surrey. I think a £40 a month hike for you is a bit steep.

luckilotti

hillhousestables.co.uk
we havent put our prices up but as Bosworth has said, YO cost - especially for field maintence has rocketed this year. IF it got to the point where we had to, it would prob just be to what we used to charge - we actually reduced our rents a few years back by a few pounds to help the liveries out - problem is - those liveries are no longer with us so to our new liveries, we will look bad for putting prices up!