anything has to be better than mud right??

hoofmad

Visit site
Hi Guys!

I've been a forum lurker for years now and thought it was about time that I participated :)

Anyway - I have a field that I (try) to ride on but it is near impossible now with the weather and tbh, most of the year.
Does anyone have any suggestions for creating a cheap surface? Anything has to be an improvement on the deep slimy mud or rock hard pot holes that I have to put up with?!

I don't have thousands to put in a manege but anything has to be better than what I currently have?

Thanks in advance :)

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Without spending thousands on a surface, I'd say roll it, Harrow it, and rest it during bad weather is the only way forward.

What soil is it on? Is it on a hill/valley/flat land etc?

hoofmad

Visit site
Hi Honey08

Clay I'm afraid which means it's virtually unusable half of the year. Hacking is rubbish and tbh down right dangerous so also not really an option. :(

now_loves_mares

Visit site
On clay your only option would be to fence a bit off permanently and only ride on it when dry. The minute it gets tiny hoof prints, water hangs about and it gets worse and worse. TBH I wouldn't really waste money without the proper drainage. Even my hard standing has a layer of slimy clay on it, albeit it doesn't go deep like the rest of the area.

hoofmad

Visit site
Clay does seem to be the work of the devil lol!
I was thinking about putting a layer of wood fibre on it? I know this will eventually rot down etc but would it not improve it a little?

Deltaflyer

Visit site
Years ago I was at a yard where there was no school but there was a school size grass area behind the barn. A tree surgeon used to bring us wood chippings which we laid down. It worked brilliantly when the ground was hard as it stopped it being so jarring for the horses but when it rained a lot it just got very deep indeed. Too deep to ride on as the chippings absorbed the rainwater and got mixed in with the mud. This was on non-clay mud. I imagine on clay ot would be even worse. There's not really a lot that will work without some kind of drainage I feel.

glamourpuss

Visit site
Although Clay isn't as free draining as they prefer, if the site is level you could maybe contact equestrian Surfaces direct about their Eco arena.
There is a drainage system in the membrane so no need for tons of aggregates & digging drains.
You'd still be looking at around £10,000 but TBH it's the cheapest system....whether it would work as well as you wanted is another story though!

LHIS

Visit site
My dentist told me at my last check up (bear with me, I'm going somewhere with this..) that she had just put a surface down in her school that was made from churned up carpet and that it was amazing and cheap to do. I suppose you need the school in the first place though to do this.