Appalling neglect - whats the best thing to do?

Tharg

Visit site
Perhaps it would help if you can get his family on side?, although try to find out on the sly that he gets along with them and there is no familial rift. Does he go to mass or a farmer mart?

Good luck, its a difficult situation.

chunklovescooks

Visit site
Ah OK Tharg, i got the wrong end of the stick
laugh.gif

ajn1610

Visit site
While I understand why you don't want him prosecuted and agree with you, I think it may have gone past the point where family/friends having a word will help. If he is going to keep breeding and keeping so many horses the same situation will arise again.

You say that he is not prepared to sign the two very bad cases over and he obviously cares but at the end of the day a horse under his care has been allowed to deteriorate to the point where it is going to have to be destroyed. If he is unwilling or unable to see/accept his situation is untenable someone will have to step in. He obviously isn't able to provide the care the animals need and hasn't been able to put in place appropriate supervision or the mares wouldn't have got into this condition. If the people looking after them for him aren't experienced and have not realised these mares needed help presumably the other horses haven't been getting their needs met either, just that as they are out/more hardy native types they haven't starved.

I just find the whole situation horribly sad but an elderly man in ill health spending time in hospital with no experienced help is not an appropriate carer for 40+ Mares and Foals. Even with agencies involved I don't see how he can continue to own that many.

As an aside if he isn't well enough to care for the horse, is he OK living (I assume) alone? It might be that he needs help for himself too.

Rollin

Visit site
ILPH are totally sympathetic and practical. If he has been sick and cannot care for his horses I don't think they would go for prosection. Officers are ex-mounted Police and will know best course of action. I used to fund raise for them and got to know the officer in Central Scotland quite well. He was very helpful and down to earth.

The mare who cannot weight bear needs treatment fast. Have you suggested calling the vet on his behalf? or do you know the name of his vet? You could offer to be there to assist?

Regardless of owners circumstances I could not do nothing - the horses need care.

Please put up a new post re outcome.

Cluny

Visit site
I'll try and answer everyone's questions:

Rollin - thanks for the recommendation of the ILPH, I think they will definitely be the best route to take and I will make it very clear that the old chap does care very much for his horses but is too old and too infirm to look after them. However he is also being totally unrealistic in further breeding horses and also going to auction and buying more.

Apparently some of his horses have fetched very high prices and he's bred some stunning dressage horses and eventers. Last years crop of foals had some pretty good sires such as Sandro B, Libro and Pro-Set!

I am going to call the vet in the morning and let him know that I have involved the ILPH. The farmer was going to call either one of two vets, both of which I have used in the past, and one who is my current vet.

I will most definitely update you all as soon as I've got the wheels moving tomorrow.

Ajn1610, I totally agree, the family I believe are not interested, he said that his wife hates the horses! Looking at the bigger picture, the farmer is breeding more horses, he cannot cope with the ones he has (you should have seen some of the feet, I've never seen oval feet when the feet are oval widthways!!!) Plus I am sure there is not a wide scale worming programme in place, let alone dentist, proper nutrition etc.

Nuttymanxmare I'm afraid the Blue Cross are too far away, but Glenda Spooner Farm (ILPH) isn't too far.

Tharg sadly the situation has gone too far for what family he has to sort out (even if they were willing to get involved), this needs long term solutions.

Inders after having had past involvement with Horseworld when retiring two horses there, I'm afraid they are not my favourite people, although I do appreciate they do do good work in the community, would prefer to go to ILPH, as have more confidence in them.

Thursdaynext, many thanks for the recommendation, I'm going to try the ILPH first, but will bear them in mind.

ajn1610

Visit site
It seems like you are doing all you can and taking a course of action best for all involved - both equine and human. I really hope this has the best possible outcome. Let us know what happens. Good Luck and Hugs for dealing so well with what must have been an enormously upsetting situation for you.

Cluny

Visit site
Thank you AJN1610, that's very sweet of you. TBH all I want is those two mares out of there and properly treated and the remaining horses to be kept as they should be and to have bright futures.

Must admit all i really want to do is drive down there, load up the mares and foals and take them home and start the correct treatment, but I don't have the resources or time to do so and know they would be better off with the professionals.

D

Donkeymad

At his age, the feet and worming issues are what he has done all his life probably, the older generation do what they learnt in their young lives, and not keeping up with the times. It is so sad that he appears to aknowledge he needs help, but won't sign them over. maybe their value are part of his Income, and he can't see how he can afford to 'give' them away.
I hope this sad situation can be sorted out quilty and amicably between all parties involved.

natalia

Visit site
Hi,

having had to unfortuantly deal with welfare cases like this your best bet is the ILPH or whatever they are called now. They do work with the RSPCA though so you may get both inspectors down. They won't automatically take horses away, and are pretty good at seeing things signed over to them, ie the mares in bad condition, the ones which are ok will be left. They will prob put down on the spot if the owner gives consent, i have had the misfortune to be placed in the situation that the owner had not given consent and we had a dumped very sick youngster on our hands, and a vet that was not allowed to pts until the police turned up. (vet in the end broke the law and did the deed anyway as police were taking so long to arrive, and poor thing was in agony). I would possibly see if you could by chance happen to pop in when the ILPH are visiting, as it may encourage this man to seek help if he has a friend there.

legend

Visit site
I agree with the ilph, and has this guy been using the same vets for a long time? If you call them first thing tomorrow and explain the situation I'm sure they'd also help, either with immediate aid for the horses or they'll def know how to get in touch with the right welfare people the quickest, and if this guy has always previously always looked after his animals then that should make the 'official visit' more palatable to him (as hopefully he'll listen to his vet).

flowerlady

Visit site
You said he uses the same vet as you can you not call the vet and explain the situation.
confused.gif
Surely they have seen the conditions.
confused.gif
If the farmer is unwilling to sign over the horses and you do not report them it could all end up like that one last year god forbid. So please talk to the vet or report it.
frown.gif

Cluny

Visit site
Many thanks guys. Flowerlady you will see from my posts that I'm calling my vet first thing in the morning and will also be calling the ILPH first thing also.

I've also just had a very kind offer from a fellow HHO'er who runs a rescue to rehome the mares, so will also keep in touch with her also.

Cluny

Visit site
UPDATE

Just a quick as I'm at work, to say that I've reported the case to the ILPH stating exactly what I saw and that the farmer needs help rather than prosecution. Luckily the field officer for our area is working today (apparently a few of them are off this week), and he will receive the information this morning. I have stressed that he really does need to visit the horses today as the mare with the foal at foot is in constant extreme pain and the other emaciated mare needs immediate veterinary attention.

I've given them as much details as possible and stressed the farmers medical condition and that it is not a wilful case of cruelty rather that he just can't cope.

I've been told that they will treat it as priority and get back to me when something has been done, probably in a couple of weeks.

So fingers crossed and thank you so much to those who have offered support and help.

I'll further update you as soon as I have some news.

ajb123

Visit site
Good on you Cluny - you did the right thing. Horrible for you to deal with this so huge hugs for handling this so well! Keep us posted with news.

lottie940

Visit site
This is an awful situation but I feel the horses come first way ahead of worrying about anyone getting prosecuted. I would contact all agencies, including the RSPCA, and wait and see who gets there the quickest. If it's the RSPCA then so be it. Why prolong the suffering an extra few days to try and protect someone. If he is as old and frail as you say he should have had the good sense to give up long ago.

I have had several dealings with the RSPCA over horses and found them to be ineffective anyway so a prosecution is highly unlikely but they may get out there the quickest and get the horses signed over to get them the help they need. I can't stress enough, DON'T wait or it may be too late.

nona1

Visit site
I must be the only person here with no sympathy for the farmer. Call whoever you can to get action taken ASAP.