Appaloosa Breeding - coat pattern change - long!!

Gingernags

Visit site
1. Not for sale, he is my little troll.
2. Not a 2010 baby
3. Isn't he a strange colour now???

chestnut with a white blanket at birth

Finn2weeks085.jpg

Then went liver chestnut at about 4 months, but still white blanket
FluffyFinn2041.jpg

6 months
Finn6months011.jpg

8 months, going back chestnut
sj050409001.jpg

10 months - going roan
Finnfromgail.jpg

Just over a year, roany pony! with a spotty bum
Futurity337.jpg

kirkleatham013.jpg

18 months, whiter still
DSC00561.jpg

I love those spots on that bum
spottybotty067.jpg

2 years
sunshine025.jpg

sunshine2035.jpg

And now, 26 months
FInn4.jpg

With his mum
Finn1.jpg

He's rather naughty...
Finn3.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the pretty colours!!!!

He's about 15.2 now, very funny, he stalks EVERYONE in the field (humans) mainly wanting to be the centre of attention, or wanting treats. He is such a character, I really like how he is turning out, these appies aren't bad!!

Last edited:

The_snoopster

Visit site
I also have had a chestnut filly appaloosa born a few weeks ago she has small white spots on her bum where yours had the blanket, the stallion owner believes she will roan out with more spot developing. It will be a waiting game with her like yours you just dont know what you have for a few years. I shall be very pleased if mine is similar to yours as she matures.
SDC10539.jpg

horses009-1.jpg

rowy

Visit site
thats really interesting! I have a nr leopard spotted. white with large spots all over black but with a speckly roany neck and face! To me his face seems to getting whiter and his spots on his face more prominant. I haven't had him yet a year so will have to compare his last year winter coat with this one.

UnaB

Visit site
Wow, what a change!! Im hoping that i may have a spotty baby from my mare, will be interesting to see if it changes that much too. I love a roan, so a spotty AND roan pony would be perfect :D

Very handsome chap, love him whatever colour he decides to go next!

Gingernags

Visit site
His face is currently going darker again, every few months he looks different, its really interesting!

I didn't breed for spots, but I knew a lady who owned an Appy stallion that was a good all rounder and that I was hearing really good things about, so I went to see him. He has BD points, lives on a riding school type smallholding as one of the family, and is out now doing BE Novice.

What sold me was his temperament, he is a lovely stallion, well mannered but cheeky and when I saw him being schooled, I was green with envy at the movement. He really complemented my mare, and he's fully graded and registered as an Appaloosa so I went ahead.

The spots are a bonus!

We've only had fillies in the past, so having a boy, even after the fuzzy plum removal, is a real education!!! We have had a few bad phases mainly around back feet issues, i.e. him waving them about, but I think we've got past that one. He's still a bit spooky with some noises but again that will come. He loves people though and is still very boisterous, but now I can clatter him one without him double barrelling me, we are getting on fine! He's just very very naughty, and has the look in his eye that warns you of that, but I think once he's in this winter, I'll remind him of a few manners...

I've met a few of the, shall we say old fashioned Appies before, with the spindly tails and stubborn disposition - but he has neither. Saying that though his Mum is a total babe and does everything and anything and if he takes after her he'll be great. I've been doing endurance on her this year, she's just turned 18 but you wouldn't know it!

There's just the problem of height now, his sire is about 16.1, Asti is 15hh, so I was hoping for 15.2.... but he's about that now so no idea where he'll end up. I'm going to need a ladder!!!!

KarynK

Visit site
He’s looking very good and has the personality I see!! One of mine thinks it’s funny to hold people captive in the corner of his field, usually kids and if they try and run he becomes a cutting horse, he loves this game but they usually shout for help and don’t find it quite so much fun!!!

The varnish in Appaloosas varies in the speed it works, in Finn it has worked very fast and this seems to be the case in some especially those that have white forward of the wither in their birth coat, which I seem to remember he did. This kind of negates the theory that varnish is inherited simply as like my leopard mare on my photo album your boy can only have one copy of the gene as both mares are not Appaloosas and I think my Leopards mother is neutral for white modifier genes so she gives nothing in that respect.

So the rapidity of the fading must be contributed to by other factors for white/fading. As to what happens as the varnish gets to work, that then depends on what appaloosa coat pattern is inherited. So in my second album on my profile (look admin no photos! PS these two are not for sale!) I do not think that this filly has any spots. She is by a snowcap who does not have the varnish out of an extended snowcap who does, but I believe all she inherited was the Varnish and the basic Appaloosa “breed” gene which itself was hard to find in her as a foal! Everyone is calling this at the moment “Lp” which will I think stick but will become inappropriate in the end as it should really be reserved for Leopard Spotted patterns.

You can also see this in Finn above, he is still in effect a blanket spot pattern, but his solid coat has faded very fast and there are not a lot of spots under that bit. You might get spot movement or one or two new ones appearing over the years but he won’t suddenly become a full leopard.

My near leopard mare on the first album is typical of her fewspot dad used on solid mares, They are born extended spotted blankets or near leopards, then fade relatively quickly to a point then what is left fades very slowly with bits of coat still visible especially in winter woollies and I think that is what Finn will do.from now on, so you will still be left with a flush of the original colour.

It is interesting that Finn when liver in his first winter coat, Mine have done that too, I don’t know if “ordinary” horses do that ?? I must admit I never paid much attention before, but my two ended up quite a deep chestnut colour at a year.

Gingernags

Visit site
Asti went a very dark liver chestnut as a foal, nearly black, so yes, happens with solids too.

He is getting a few more spots further up, so he won't turn out leopard like his Dad then? He has so many spots and freckles on his face he's almost chestnut!

Asti was out of a chestnut mare, by a grey TB stallion, so we knew it was 50-50 for grey or chestnut. I always thought, early on, that she'd grey out as she has a lot of white in her coat, but she's stayed ginger! She's got the flaxen in her mane and tail that make me want to call her sorrel!

And OMG about the game yours plays - that is exactly it! I think of it as him being a gentleman as he always walks me back to the gate, but he does try to herd me a bit until he gets a shove or a slap, he's such a rogue.

One of the horses on limited turn out has an electric pen within the field, and the owner was poo picking it, but had to ring her son on his mobile, to come down from the yard to rescue her, as Finn woudn't let her out of the field with the barrow of poo. he was blocking the gate and she couldn't shift him because he was trying to tip the barrow over!!

I think he knows when you think he's a pest, so he does it more, if you ignore him and tell him off, he gives up quicker.

I absolutely love him to bits, he's so funny. Asti finds him less so, and doesn't put up with much any more. He's currently pleased as he's not bottom of the pecking order any more, he has an 11.2 welshy to pick on, and is challenging Ivy , my sisters 16hh welshxTB for her spot. Only 4 more to go after that!

KarynK

Visit site
He looks like the Varnish might reveal a few more spots especially on the face but I think the all white bits will stay white.

Oh yes wheelbarrows and their content are great sport and seem to just have to be turned over especially when full! My lot are cheesed off ATM as I have a huge barrow now with 2 wheels which they have not bee able to upend. So the new game is nick the tools and stuff out of the little box I keep in the front of it and leg it as fast as you can with said item in your mouth. Including my sprayer which was picked up by the handle and taken away nozzle flapping between her legs! The other little darling got hold of the cardboard box, ripped the front off and legged it with that!!! They also like to confiscate the dogs balls as well and casually stand over them, which is no mean feat with two cattle dogs.

They really do have a sense of humour, but I don’t always share it with them!!!

Its really fascinating to watch how that pecking order changes as well isn't it. I suspect mummy will stay top though.

Gingernags

Visit site
Mucking out tools... check

He has his own horseball in the stable but yup.

Water buckets... grabs heacollars... chases the dogs out of the field... oops!?

Oh and regularly upends the water trough... and trashes electric fencing if its not switched on... takes his rug off before you can fasten it if he doesn't like the colour...

Last night, wiped apple drool in my hair - yuck!

Basically if its not fastened down (or even if it is with the water trough) - he chucks it about. Cannot leave a full wheelbarrow or he'll have that over, and a muck skip bucket if I use it.

He's not going to grow out of this is he? He grabs Asti's leadrope and brings her in too...

Its never dull, I can say that!

Breaking him in next year may be entertaining...

angrovestud

Visit site
Oh Gingernags how lovely is Finn gosh how hes changed hes all grown up, I can not believe hes faded so qickly its not like the same horse we saw a year ago, I think hes great he looks such a lovable chap.you still havent popped in to see us! kettle will be on anytime.

KarynK

Visit site

Oh and regularly upends the water trough... and trashes electric fencing if its not switched on...

He's not going to grow out of this is he?

Breaking him in next year may be entertaining...

Yes have had to put my plastic trough up on blocks as one of mine likes to drag it with a foot in it across the field! They test the fencing with their whiskers and when the batteries are low they go free range!!

No they don't grow out of it, but they do get a bit more subtle as they get older!

Actually they love training and work as it gives them a job to put all those brains into, the only thing is they learn extremely quickly so they make you have to plan as a trainer!!!

Singing Dawg

Lang may yer lum reek
Visit site
Delighted to see your post, I have a yearling who is very similar in markings, now i hope he changes into something as gorgeous as yours! Do you fancy a matching pair?

LazyS

Visit site
Delighted to see your post, I have a yearling who is very similar in markings, now i hope he changes into something as gorgeous as yours! Do you fancy a matching pair?

Can we see a picture of yours - even if it is only on your profile - love to see the various colours of appaloosa - what is the breeding of yours? Is it a youngster and does it get up to mischief too? Actually mine are as good as gold. The thing about them is NOT to leave tempting items around for them to pinch or rugs over fences or stable walls where they can be pulled down and stamped on! (A previous spotted I owned used to do this so I am 'programmed' not to leave things about). ;)

Smile_and_Wave

Visit site
My old mare was just like that she went through a very pink stage though she wasnt as dark a chestnut as he is, She started off chestnut with and blanket and eventually by the age of six had roaned out almost entirely with varnsish marks on her knees hocks thighs and abit of faint roaning over her front loads of little spots and chestnut ears!

this is my old mare, at about eight here, she was of unknonw breeding but after asking about she was presumably Rivaz bred, possibly Limerick and a judge at the BApS show once said she looked a lot like his horse who was a Rivaz horse

flame001.jpg

Last edited: