Appaloosa/Coat colour/genes people help please..

Aidey

Visit site
My blanket spot appy is a deep liver chestnut, on her blanket she has the usual spots the same colour as her coat but she has two small spots which look like a very pale chestnut, is that what colour they will most likely be or could they possibly be a dilute colour? I'll try to find a photo, if not ill post one later.

I also didn't have a clue which section to post this in so just dumped it here :D ice lolly and a kopparberg to anyone who helps lol x

strides-eventing

Visit site
I just wrote a reply and lost it so don't know if I'll remember what I put now -_-

Anyway, sorry, no genetics scientific advice from me but I also have an appaloosa. Mine is a "Chestnut small lace blanket" in his passport, but he has all sorts of markings, he's got white spots on the white blanket part of him, normal chestnut spots, dark bayish spots - some on his legs, random white splodges and stuff!

When I first got him as a rising 4 year old he was all chestnut with a tiny sprinkle of white on his bum, and now look at the spots on him! He's also gone very roan, got a lot more white in him.

How old is yours? Maybe she will change some more if she's young. I was also told that the spots with raised hair, more prominent are the permanent ones and that the others will go and change, which has been the case for mine but unsure about others.

Basically she may just get multicolour spots like mine :D hahah!

Oh well, enjoy your appaloosa! Sorry for my useless ramblings. Here are some pictures of my boy and his spots, sorry they're crap quality.

Chavhorse

Visit site
Ahh the Appaloosa a different horse every season!

I bought my WB x Appy as a 3 year Old Looking like this;

nevada4o.jpg

He is now 8 and looks like this;

vardihack.jpg

In the Summer we look like this;
vadiandhisbestmatemac.jpg

He also has one brown spot right on his backside which everyone mistakes for a poo stain :)

I have now given in and the only kit I buy him is in differing shades of Brown!

Last edited:

zoon

Visit site
I have a loud black leopard spot and he has a large sandy coloured spot on his leg. No idea why, sorry

KSR

Visit site
No idea but I want to know now..

Looks like my lad (aged 18 in the photos) was a lace blanket spot..

That clears something up for me which I was never sure about, so thanks for the thread and posts..

5EE2E2D1-E934-48DA-98A2-583A5EA1E2DD-2481-000002030FEB041F_zps7ea456bc.jpg

Dogrose

Visit site
Appy genes do weird things to colour, they can lighten the whole background colour and can even turn a horse that is genetically black into ginger! It isn't uncommon for dark appies to have a few light spots and light appies to have a few black spots.