Appaloosa 'Klaus'

kdp0511

Visit site
Hi, can anyone tell me about Klaus, an appaloosa stallion. He is the grand sire of my two colts. All I can find on the internet is that he is 'the famous Klaus' or 'the renown Klaus' with different times he won the National Appaloosa Champion (from 10 to 18!). I would love to know more or see some pictures

Thanks

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
He stood at the Rivas stud and was owned by the founding members of BAPS. There should be plenty of info out there as he was a very well known animal.

kdp0511

Visit site
Thanks for replying :)

BAPS don't have any thing on him, and the only references I can find are from mentions in bloodlines of standing stallions as per previous quotes.

Yes I would have thought there would be some thing, but I can't find it.....:(

Kim

spottybotty

Visit site
Klaus was owned by Mr and Mrs De Rivaz, who had the Rivaz Stud. He was quite often ridden by Inga Bryant. My parents where very good friends of the De Revaz`s. We had a spotty who was reserve Champ three years in a row to Klaus. I do have pictures but they are in my loft with lots of other early Baps memorabilia from its start in the 70`s. He was a lovely versatile stallion , one of his son`s looks very alike and seems to have the same temperament.
http://www.greatbrockhamhurststud.co.uk/rivazoracle.htm

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
We saw him at the national show 20 odd years ago! somewhere we will have a photo of him, but no idea where it is! He was leopard spot and had amazing presence. If I remember rightly he was also shown under saddle, and I think, but I may be wrong that he did some dressage might be worth searching down that route. Good luck

kdp0511

Visit site
Thank you :)

I don't expect you to go into you loft to find the picture ;)
but the information is so helpful, my boys both have an easy going attitude, so it would seen his genes are being passed down.

Kim

appylass

Visit site
Hello! I have a couple of pictures of Klaus, there are more somewhere but not on this computer. My old horse was by him and they 'met' at one of the National Appaloosa shows where they were both in the veteran class. My boy was apparently one of Klaus' first foals when he came to the UK.

Klaus
Klaus2.jpg

And one of my most treasured pics, Dad meets Son

scan0026.jpg

He was a lovely horse, with manners to burn and an amazing jump. The day of that show he won two if not three of the jumping classes despite being fairly elderly.

If I come across the others I will scan them in and post them for you.

dieseldog

Visit site
Klaus was a Knapstrupper and one of the most influential 'Appaloosa' stallions of his time. He was 10 times national champion.

kdp0511

Visit site
Wow Dozzie thank you so much :)
He looks so much like my boys sire Flame dancer whose dad was Rivaz Limerick

Also just realised my mistake Klaus is their great grand sire

Thanks everyone for all your help x

LazyS

Visit site
I used to take photos for H&H at dressage events and photographed Klaus in action. I have one in my shed I keep meaning to take it down and scan it as several people have mentioned him on other forums. Only the other day I was thinking about the wedding I did in Hereford where Klaus was doing dressage with Bay Sarah Wilmer (I can't remember what her married name was) - anyway because I was always around at events taking photos they asked me to do their wedding - (I have to add I did do wedding photography as well as equestrian) - anyway the horses were a major part of the proceedings especially at the reception. The best man got up on Klaus, in his whistle, bareback and the bridesmaid got up on Cockley Cley Weatherman (also an appaloosa) in her pink dress, bareback and I took loads of photos. Klaus's temperament was wonderful. I was wondering what I had done with the photos, or at least the negatives but I don't run the business anymore and I destroyed loads of stuff after I had kept it for the required amount of time after the event (think it was 5 years). It would be good to find some squirrelled away somewhere though, I just don't have much room at home, so mine could also be in the loft!!
The BAPS national shows were, in those days, held at Stoneleigh and I recall seeing Klaus win one of his famous Championships - just thinking it was at least 24 years ago (OMG!).
If anyone knows Bay Sarah (or Brugs as she was called) I would love to hear how she is. Last I heard she had had twins! The chap she married was in the Household Cavalry.

spottybotty

Visit site
I used to take photos for H&H at dressage events and photographed Klaus in action. I have one in my shed I keep meaning to take it down and scan it as several people have mentioned him on other forums. Only the other day I was thinking about the wedding I did in Hereford where Klaus was doing dressage with Bay Sarah Wilmer (I can't remember what her married name was) - anyway because I was always around at events taking photos they asked me to do their wedding - (I have to add I did do wedding photography as well as equestrian) - anyway the horses were a major part of the proceedings especially at the reception. The best man got up on Klaus, in his whistle, bareback and the bridesmaid got up on Cockley Cley Weatherman (also an appaloosa) in her pink dress, bareback and I took loads of photos. Klaus's temperament was wonderful. I was wondering what I had done with the photos, or at least the negatives but I don't run the business anymore and I destroyed loads of stuff after I had kept it for the required amount of time after the event (think it was 5 years). It would be good to find some squirrelled away somewhere though, I just don't have much room at home, so mine could also be in the loft!!
The BAPS national shows were, in those days, held at Stoneleigh and I recall seeing Klaus win one of his famous Championships - just thinking it was at least 24 years ago (OMG!).
If anyone knows Bay Sarah (or Brugs as she was called) I would love to hear how she is. Last I heard she had had twins! The chap she married was in the Household Cavalry.

I can remember when the National show was held in Cuffley at the De Rivaz`s place!!! lol I was at the FIRST National show in 1977!!!! Jubilee year.

LazyS

Visit site
Klausmid-80ssmlfile.jpg

Took the pic down from my barn and scanned it. This is Klaus in the mid-80s from what I can work out. I remember that the rider didn't like her position much!

bris76

New User
Visit site
Hi,
Thank you so much for putting pictures of Klaus on here. My applaoosa 's sire is Klaus and ive heard that he was a fine horse, but had never seen any pictures.
Thank You

marmalade76

Visit site
I knew klaus personally as I was taught by the Wilmers and spent a lot of time at their yard during the school hols. He was wonderful - fantastic temprement (he could be stabled right next to flirty mares!), beautiful and full of presence. He never saw him doing much ridden work as he was in his late teens at this point.

LazyS - Brugs' married name was Nicholls. I replied to your post in this thread :-

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=440421&highlight=klaus&page=2

Not sure if you saw it or not.