Appaloosas..

Aidey

Visit site
Cut a long story short, I have a Belgian Warmblood mare who has blanket spot appaloosa colouring. She was bought from Holland in 2004 and I managed to contact her trainer who actually sold her, he said appaloosas aren't really liked over there..

Just wondering if its true or if any body knows why?

missyme10

Visit site
As above, its personal choice. I think those that like then absolutely love them.
My friend has an appaloosa coloured boy, some think he's ugly, I think he's gorgeous and so unusual being both appaloosa and coloured.
His spotty pecker is a bit weired tho :D

Definitely a fair few spotty lovers on here :D

nikkimariet

Visit site
It's all down to personal preference....bit like marmite, love em or hate em. I'm on the fence, I've never been one to dislike a horse purely on it's coat/colouring. I don't give myself an easy life anyway, since I love greys and they all love mud :D

But Holland, Germany.....they are BIG on their stereotypical warmbloods (IMO). WB's are typically bay, brown and chesnut, with the odd black or grey thrown into the mix so an appy is an anomaly to big WB breeders/trainers.

missyme10 - appy & coloured?! Never seen one before....care to elaborate with a pic? :)

JoBird

Visit site
My appy was exported from Holland when she was about 7 (so maybe that means they dont like them in Holland??!) but she has obviously had foals so then that makes no sense if they were using her for breeding. No idea but I love them and think it is most definitely possible for a horse to be talented and pretty. I am fed up of all the bay horses I have had in the past!!

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
I am going to sound a numpty now. But I always think of appaloosa as a colour rather than a breed, so are they a proper breed or is it just a way of putting together all spotty horses?

I think they are gorgeous generally btw.
FDC

BringoutheBest

Visit site
It's all down to personal preference....bit like marmite, love em or hate em. I'm on the fence, I've never been one to dislike a horse purely on it's coat/colouring. I don't give myself an easy life anyway, since I love greys and they all love mud :D

But Holland, Germany.....they are BIG on their stereotypical warmbloods (IMO). WB's are typically bay, brown and chesnut, with the odd black or grey thrown into the mix so an appy is an anomaly to big WB breeders/trainers.

missyme10 - appy & coloured?! Never seen one before....care to elaborate with a pic? :)

Haha my appaloosa is called marmite due to the whole love it hate it thing, and is ugliest thing you've ever seen so really suits him!

also he is an appaloosa/coloured as well, bit of a freak tbh. But his mum loves him :)

nikkimariet

Visit site
Hullabalooh - Awww, I'm sure he's lovely!! I want to see a pic, I have never seen a spotty AND coloured horse!!

I have a theory....being that German/Dutch trainers and breeders are pretty much the leaders in everything equine (personal belief, sort of reflected in their success at....everything!).....that they only sell the horses that they do not regard as highly as others. Not dissing anyones horse....well if I did mean it that way, I'd be dissing LOADS of horses that me/sister have had as we've had a number of German/Dutch WB's/KWPN's etc.

I truly don't think it matters what colour your horse is. But I guess that's like saying it doesn't matter what shoes you have as long as they do their job! All personal preference :)

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
My Mum got an appy in November (who has been lame ever since but that's another story! :( ) and a lot of people think he's ugly. He comes from Denmark originally.

I think he's cute though!

47641_10150355566075203_508425202_16056378_7952498_n.jpg

DSCF9630.jpg

Charliepony

Visit site
They're my favourite breed! (apart from thoroughbreds! :p incidentally another breed that lots of people don't like)

It love their looks in that they stand out in the crowd, but more than that it's their character! Every one I've known has been so loyal and they just have such huge personalities!

LazyS

Visit site
I love em..... I was arranging an appointment with a chiropractor the other day and the wife of the chiro was 'into' horses and she asked me "what kind of horses do you have?" when I replied "appaloosas" I could tell by the sudden silence that she was not a fan! Never mind, it wouldn't do if we were all the same.
I would suggest that warmblood, spots and from Holland/Belgium - horse would be of Knabstrupper lines not appaloosa (which originates in America - by the Palouse river (or is it a valley?) anyway the Palouse horse became slurred to A Palousey, then Appaloosa - in America).
My chap is all American and definitely a breed. Hope you don't mind me saying. :)

Visit site
It's down to personal preference. I love my Appy - he is very intelligent and my perfect horse. :) They do have a reputation for being stubborn (mine also has a stubborn streak!) but if you gain the trust of one he'll do anything for you!

naza

Visit site
this WAS my appaloosa (went today ):) and i totally agree about the stubborn streak! But she was also the most honest and loyal horse and she loved jumping!

Also incase anybody knows of any im looking for a welsh D/Welsh cross/fozzy cob now (;

lambournshow10.jpg

minxgoespinggg.jpg

Chavhorse

Visit site
Well my guy Bred in Holland is an Appaloosa X Warmblood. He has very good Warmblood bloodlines his Sire was Equador and his Grand Sire was Voltaire and he was bred specifically and sold as a "Sporthorse".

I bought him as my future Dressage prospect just to be different! as I did not want the normal run of large bay or black warmbloods.

Anyhow long story short he had an accident as a 4 year old which effectively finished his high level dressage career so I decided to have him converted to a Western Riding horse (something we could both compete in:)

When I took him to the yard of my Western trainer they and all the other liveries spent ages oohing and aaring over his Appaloosa bloodlines saying pity about the Warmblood in him LOL.

Very big Western Scene out here with many many Appaloosa's and Appaloosa crosses.

3 Year old Sport Horse Prospect
picture.php

Rising 6 year old Western Riding Horse
jameslesson16.jpg

Depp_by_Chocolate

www.northeastequine.co.uk
Hullabalooh - Awww, I'm sure he's lovely!! I want to see a pic, I have never seen a spotty AND coloured horse!!

I have a theory....being that German/Dutch trainers and breeders are pretty much the leaders in everything equine (personal belief, sort of reflected in their success at....everything!).....that they only sell the horses that they do not regard as highly as others. Not dissing anyones horse....well if I did mean it that way, I'd be dissing LOADS of horses that me/sister have had as we've had a number of German/Dutch WB's/KWPN's etc.

I truly don't think it matters what colour your horse is. But I guess that's like saying it doesn't matter what shoes you have as long as they do their job! All personal preference :)

If you google pintaloosa there should be some pics of what you get when you cross a spotty with a coloured!

KarynK

Visit site
Cut a long story short, I have a Belgian Warmblood mare who has blanket spot appaloosa colouring. She was bought from Holland in 2004 and I managed to contact her trainer who actually sold her, he said appaloosas aren't really liked over there..

Just wondering if its true or if any body knows why?

In Warmblood circles the Appaloosa would not often be used to cross they are a very different type and smaller so probably would not be considered by mainstream breeders, Though there is a member on here who made the successful cross of an American Appaloosa and a Warmblood, the foal gained a premium.

But there is a warmblood spotted breed the Knabstrupper from Denmark, they are much bigger and effectively a warmblood and are graded alongside them. This chap beat all of the warmbloods in his ECHA grading and was awarded Premium status.

http://www.thegallopsstud.co.uk/#/mikker/.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Pintaloosa??!!! I think I have one and I thought he was Appaloosa but is registered p/b with BApS...

Aidey

Visit site
Thanks guys :)

Well anyway I love her! I agree she can be stubborn at times but more or less gives in in the end!

On her sires side she has good bloodlines Pilot/CalypsoII/Gotthard/Cor de la Bruyere

But on her dams side there is only her dams name and that she was a belgian warmblood, but if dam is registered I dont understand why there is no more info, I spoke to her trainer and the only info he gave me was her dam was an old appaloosa, so thats where her spots come from but apart from that no more info :(

anybody any ideas to how I could trace her dam?
info in papers reads:

Autesse
BEL-W-186250-VRM-BWP
W-186250-HST

any info MUCH appreciated :D

marmalade76

Visit site
I was lucky enough to know personally Cockley Cley Weatherman and the stallion Klaus when I was a kid (I was even allowed to ride Weatherman on the odd occasion!). I think Weatherman was warmblood/part warmblood and I remember it being mentioned that he was sneered at by some in dressage circles, but attitudes towards unusual colours have changed a lot since then.

Both horses had absolutely lovely temprements.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVmulVZkR5A

LazyS

Visit site
I was lucky enough to know personally Cockley Cley Weatherman and the stallion Klaus when I was a kid (I was even allowed to ride Weatherman on the odd occasion!). I think Weatherman was warmblood/part warmblood and I remember it being mentioned that he was sneered at by some in dressage circles, but attitudes towards unusual colours have changed a lot since then.

Both horses had absolutely lovely temprements.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVmulVZkR5A

Marmalade76 - do you know how Brugs is doing? I used to be a professional photographer and did the dressage circuit for various magazines (many moons ago) and got to know Brugs and her family well enough to do her wedding photographs, Klaus and 'Spotty' were both guests. When I last heard she had had twins. Wonder if she is still 'into' spotties. :)

marmalade76

Visit site
Yes, I remember the wedding pics, they were fab!

I haven't seen them for about 15 years, Bob sadly died and Brugs and Nick split up, after that she and her mum moved back down south, so I never saw them again :(

As far as I can tell from her You Tube channel, Brugs now lives in NZ.

LazyS

Visit site
Yes, I remember the wedding pics, they were fab!

I haven't seen them for about 15 years, Bob sadly died and Brugs and Nick split up, after that she and her mum moved back down south, so I never saw them again :(

As far as I can tell from her You Tube channel, Brugs now lives in NZ.

Re the photos - thank you marmalade76. Where you AT the wedding? The bridesmaid go up on Spotty in her pink bridesmaids dress and the best man got up on Klaus in his suit, bareback!
Somewhere I must have some left over photos. Somewhere!!!!
Thank you very much for the update. I really got into appaloosas because of them
and it would be nice to be remembered to them if you come across them again. :)

missyme10

Visit site

I'll ask her tonight if she minds me taking a pic and posting, he just looks a coloured horse at a glance, but he's all spotty around his head and muzzle. Its like he's spotty on his skin, black spots around his muzzle and his pecker lol, no idea if he's actually spotty under his coat.
Funny thing is he appears to be greying out also.

God only knows whats going on in is genes, but his sire was an a traditional coloured cob and his dam a very spotty appaloosa. Where the greying out has come from is a mystery, and no one has any idea if being a coloured/appaloosa cross has anything to do with it, I know greys carry a particular gene so maybe he carries that also????? x

marmalade76

Visit site
Re the photos - thank you marmalade76. Where you AT the wedding? The bridesmaid go up on Spotty in her pink bridesmaids dress and the best man got up on Klaus in his suit, bareback!
Somewhere I must have some left over photos. Somewhere!!!!
Thank you very much for the update. I really got into appaloosas because of them
and it would be nice to be remembered to them if you come across them again. :)

I didn't go to the wedding - I didn't know them then and even if I had I doubt I would have been invited, I was just a kid who had lessons with them and hung out at their's during the school hols, (their place was easier to get to on a bike than where my pony was!) helping out with the horses and babysitting the twins.

Would love to see the photos again ;)

Spotsrock

Visit site
My Knab once got marked down at a local show, our 1st (and pretty much last) attempt at showing, I thought it went really well, she didn't put a foot wrong and was way better schooled and turned out than 1st place.

I politely asked the judge how I could improve so that I could help my horse win next time and she told me that there was nothing I could do, turn out was good, horse was lovely, really worked well, just a bit big and long to be a very good example of an appy.

I thanked her and quietly mentioned she has no actual appy in her recent lineage as she is a knabstrupper and meant to be a slightly different shape. I LOVE the Knab lines. I have 2 now.

It was one of the criteria when I was looking for my youngster; female, 15hh+ at maturity, knabstrupper breeding. Most people I come across, even horsey ones have still never heard of them.