Appendix Removal..

BenvardenRach2

Visit site
Hi All,

I had unexpected surgery on Monday evening to have my appendix removed. I have a large scar as well as 2 keyhole camera holes :-( I've been told I cannot drive for at least 4 weeks and cannot ride for 6 weeks - I can hardly walk at the moment and am lucky enough that my OH is going up the yard in the evenings to feed and check my boy over. It's day 2 of being home and I'm already going stir crazy being stuck in the house and the thought of not riding for weeks!

Have any of you had your appendix removed? How long till you were back in the saddle and what did you do to keep your horsey brain satisfied when you were off?:D

rosiesowner

Visit site
I had mine taken out when I was 11. Nearly nine years ago now but I still remember just how bored I was. I found reading a good way to pass the time, at the time I was reading the Potter books which I still love but as for horsey books if you don't have a Kindle, download the app on your phone and invest in The Dressage Chronicles. A good indulgent horsey read.

The internet is your friend; spend silly amounts of time on the forum, depending on what discipline you're into, there's plenty on Youtube to keep you amused. As well as articles and sometimes whole filmed competitions and live streams.

As soon as you can, go to visit your ponies just to spend a bit of time on the ground. When you are able to ride, don't rush yourself! I tried to and it just made me feel worse.

I can totally sympathise with you at the moment though, as I broke my leg on Sunday and am off games for three months...

Best wishes!

huskydamage

Visit site
I had mine removed a few years ago but unfortunately for me it was too late and it ruptured. I did go home for a bit and I was desperate to ride but I couldn't even lift the fork to muck out.i quickly went downhill and back in hospital. I spent a long time there with bad infections and it was awful. I did not ride for 6months my longest ever break! It took me a very long time to fully get my strength back. I was way to ill to be bored but I totally understand missing it.
I watched horse racing sport channel on the hospital TV because I missed my horse! Just don't rush it and make sure you are 100% healed.

Last edited:

conniegirl

Visit site
I had my appenndix out 15 years ago so no help there also mine was not a standard one as a pendulous cycst from my ovary had strangulated my appendix meaning the appendix was completely dead inside of me and I spent a significant time in hospital recovering on lots of lovely morphine (I cant many other strong painkillers) and antibiotics so I dont actually remember much of it.

However I have just had major surgery on my ankle and Sky boxsets was an absolute life saver! Also, take up a new hobby, I took up emboidery and worked on improving my hand writing!

Last edited:

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Welcome to the club!

I had mine removed on 5th Feb this year.

My advice is - LOOK AFTER YOURSELF.

I'm very fit and active, but it was 8 weeks before I was fully up and running as it were. I was quite sick post surgery unfortunately so that did set me back.

But please op listen to your body and let yourself recover from major and life saving surgery xxx