Appetite Increaser? Homeopathic remedies

amandawordingham

Visit site
I was wondering if there are any Homeopathic remedies or anyone got any ideas for increasing an old ponys appetite?
She is 31 (Newforest) and has lost a lot of her appetite and now looking skinny.
Had the vet out numerous times, getting more blood work results today but everything is working just fine. Heart, lungs, liver, kidneys, teeth, eye sight etc all perfect. She did have a stomach bug a couple of months ago which took two doses of anti-biotics to clear up but she did improve after that so I was confident it had gone. I have just had more blood taken to check there is nothing still lurking.
Her feeds literally depend on what she fancies on the day, I have 8 bags of feed on the go inc;
Fibre Nuts
Build up Cubes
Molassed Chaff
AlphAlpha (hates this tho)
Senior Mix
Barley
Sugar Beet
Alpha Pellets
have also tried various others, blue chip, equilibra, barley rings, all of which was a no no!
She eats her nuts and most of the time her sugar beet, everything else depends on the day.
Got great grazing and a choice of haylage and meadow hay at night.
She is still happy so I am playing it as she calls it. I just know that if I could get her appetite back then she'd go on and on as she is so healthy otherwise.
I am not daft, I know she's an old girl and will have to say goodbye in the near future but I won't give up all the time she doesn't want me to.
Any ideas at all I would really, really appreciate.
Many thanks
x

hollyzippo

Visit site
Hi, I had my horse on apple cider vinegar (NAF) for joints, it also says on the bottle that it is an appetite stimulant. May be worth a try!
Also Guinness is meant to be good and packed full of potassium etc. i know they feed that to Grass Sickness horses in hospital as palatable apparently (yuk!)

amandawordingham

Visit site
Oh thankyou, good to have some more ideas up my sleeve.
Forgot to say she has to have these things syringed as she definately wouldn't touch her feed otherwise...its a battle to get her to eat as it is!
She has Corn oil syringed (much to her disgust) but its supposed to be good for her. She has protexin in her feed, glucosamine and bute for old legs (altho they are doing pretty well in fairness)

miller

Visit site
D+H Mint supplement got my lad eating again when he had a virus - was only £4 so may be worth a go.

Guinness? Cruched up ginger nut worked with my mates oldie

amandawordingham

Visit site
Just got the blood results and everything is clear re virus etc as I thought but does show that the gut isn't working as well as it should
frown.gif

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Fenegreek granules just add to feed to make it extra tasty (Spillers are adding this to some of their mixes now). I get mine from my local feed merchant, so not difficult to get hold of.